MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I know there are plenty of threads on this but I'm wondering which type is best

these :

Broken Link Removed

or these ?

Broken Link Removed

will 1.5w LED give out similar light to a 10w halogen (downlight) ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure either will do. Most cheap LEDs are designed to run off a regulated 12v supply. In a motorhome, the supply can vary between around 14.5 volts when hooked up and 'on-charge' to around 11.5v when the batteries are getting flat. Not all LEDs can handle this variance and may fail prematurely. You will pay more, but make sure you get regulated bulbs that are tolerant of a wider input voltage range. I bought mine from CAK Tanks in Kenilworth but there are many other suppliers. Other, more knowledgeable, 'Funsters' may be able to advise a suitable low-cost Ebay source.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One of the first jobs I did in the Burstner was to replace all the bulbs with LEDs. The lights we use mainly are four spotlights and two ceiling fittings. Having used Aten products previously I bought LEDs for the spotlights from them. The ceiling fittings were a little "tired" and the most suitable replacements were from Ledbulbs4u. For the lesser used fittings I decided to try eBay suppliers as they are significantly cheaper - the LEDs have worked fine so far but they are less robustly built than those from Aten and Ledbulbs4u.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I replaced ALL the Halogens with LED`s off t`internet. (LED Hut) They where cheap enough not to be too concerned if one or two fail prematurely. The light levels appear to be actually increased, and the HEAT outputs are definitely reduced!!

BTW. I also have them in the Home, mostly in area`s where the lights remain on for long periods, and am in the process of fitting LED strip "downlighters" under the Cabinets in the kitchen.

Pete

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I replaced ALL the Halogens with LED`s off t`internet. (LED Hut) They where cheap enough not to be too concerned if one or two fail prematurely. The light levels appear to be actually increased, and the HEAT outputs are definitely reduced!!

BTW. I also have them in the Home, mostly in area`s where the lights remain on for long periods, and am in the process of fitting LED strip "downlighters" under the Cabinets in the kitchen.

Pete
My experience too. Mine are all eBay purchases (about 7 - hard to count because in some of the 7 I have fitted multiple 'panels'). I've had one panel lose one of the six rows of chips - probably a dry joint. The whole lot cost under £25 so an odd failure (or shorter life) isn't important.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back