Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have fancied getting the Alden Netmaster for a while now but two things have put me off. Firstly the £3500 price tag :Eeek: Secondly the ever increasing mobile broadband speed and coverage. However, when overseas the mobile broadband data prices are crippling. But I have just discovered this Link Removed Yes its a manual system but if you are in the back of beyond and need the internet it has got to be a viable connection medium:thumb:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Well spotted it does seem to have merit at the lower sub. levels priority download limits seem quite low but at least a system of that type would be of great use in uk where no mobile signal from any operator exists or the silly rates charged for dongling abroad. :thumb::thumb: Alan

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not bad for a set up price but £40 per month for a 1meg connection speed - Ouch!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
a quick trip to Lanzarote might get the 3.5k price tag down somewhat.

Some really good bargains to be had from genuine shops there.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim

If I'm reading the info correctly it wouldn't be suitable for mobile use, it requires a land line for uploading..

Link Removed

* Capable of high-speed uploading.

The service is inbound (forward path / download) by satellite and outbound (return path / upload) by your existing access method. You will get the upload speeds of your current access method. Satellite's high-speed comes into play inbound (forward path / download) only.

There are two-way satellite services which deliver high-speed in both directions - but these are more expensive than the OPENSKY™ one-way / hybrid service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That is why it is cheaper then, sat is only one way:Doh: Shame.
Its only accross the channel a service like that is needed. I have a 3 dongle and an Orange phone with broadband and its rare, even in Wales to be in a place with no access from either. As soon as data is cheaper accross the water,the Netmaster will become obsolete in a minute.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That is why it is cheaper then, sat is only one way:Doh: Shame.

yeah, like they say, if it looks too good to be true ... etc

IIRC billym had a two way manual sat internet system that wasn't that expensive but the connection subscription was about < £80 a month.. can't really justify (or afford) that unless you are running a business and making money from it ..

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Beyond DSL do seem to offer a two-way service . .

Hi everyone

I'm particularly interested in this as I am full-timing in Europe and all of the normally suggested methods of internet access, such as free hotspots, local sim cards and campsite wi-fi are too unreliable and / or expensive if you need to do more than check a few emails. I am trying to study on-line, do some business on-line and I need regular on-line chat access for some things I have to manage in Asia. The Netmaster type things are much too expensive for me, but I'm finding getting a regular and reliable connection quite difficult.

The Opensky service described on the Beyond DSL site is clearly one way only, but they now claim to be offering a service called Astra2Connect which is two-way; i.e. the whole service is performed via satellite.
The initial set-up cost appears to be about £450 to £500 (if you include some extras to allow TV reception etc) and they have some subscription choices depending on the speed you want. The 1 MB/s service (about the same as you would normally, realistically get from a hotspot) is £39.99 per month, which is hugely expensive compared to a normal UK household subscription (I was paying £16 pounds a month for 24 MB/s before I left) but very cheap compared to hourly or daily European campsite wi-fi access charges.

The website says quite specifically that you must email them to ask for a shipping quote if you are outside The UK but, unfortunately, they haven't responded to me. I hope it's just because it's the holiday season, and not because the service isn't really available.

I'll follow up with them and if anyone else is interested I'll let you know what happens.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi as long as you can switch between Astra North and South coverage shouldn't be a problem, see here: Link Removed

Olley

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Th one I'm considering getting is sold by Conrad Anderson, it's about £3,500 but is fully automatic, and 1 Mb speed, with TV as well. Footprint is Northern Europe which is OK for me. TV and Internet are not simultaneous 'tho. and there is a monthly service charge but not too heavy.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Your all nut!! :Eeek:

Why don't you do what I did, buy a WAP antena/booster (cost £125 and has a 10 mile pickup radius) and hook up to free WAPS or pay the site your on to connect to theirs (usually about £10 - £15 a month) or you could just find a way to log onto theirs or anyone else's free :winky:

Boo

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Th one I'm considering getting is sold by Conrad Anderson, it's about £3,500 but is fully automatic, and 1 Mb speed, with TV as well. Footprint is Northern Europe which is OK for me. TV and Internet are not simultaneous 'tho. and there is a monthly service charge but not too heavy.

Hi

I looked at this system but I couldn't justify the high capital cost or afford the monthly charges..

£25 - £85 per month.. depending on level of service

The 1mb service with 1.4gb download limit is £40 per month ..

Link Removed

As Boo suggests, a WLan antenna will pick up a lot of wifi going free ...

jim

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Your all nut!! :Eeek:

Why don't you do what I did, buy a WAP antena/booster (cost £125 and has a 10 mile pickup radius) and hook up to free WAPS or pay the site your on to connect to theirs (usually about £10 - £15 a month) or you could just find a way to log onto theirs or anyone else's free :winky:

Boo

Hi boo, can you give me details of your antenna, cheers:Smile:

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Up and Running with Astra2Connect

BeyonDSL shipped all the gear out to me in Slovenia and I've just done all the alignment et.c..

It was all quite easy and now I'm hooked up with a 2Mb connection. I went for a package which allows unlimited data between midnight and 6am CET for £51 a month.

Total set-up cost was £450, which includes an optional extra quad-LNB (£50) to provide simultaneous TV reception.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Where I am I don't get, in reality, much more than 512kb/s anyway regardless of what my connection speed should be. This speed is adequate for most purposes and faster than a dongle. If you don't pay for a higher speed than this the costs seem quite reasonable.
I shall look at this when I retire, but there may be something better/cheaper by then:RollEyes:

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Its only accross the channel a service like that is needed. I have a 3 dongle and an Orange phone with broadband and its rare, even in Wales to be in a place with no access from either. As soon as data is cheaper accross the water,the Netmaster will become obsolete in a minute.

It is cheaper abroad than you think with with an unlocked 3G dongle

In France with "Orange FR" I paid €12 per month in France, OK for only 500MB

In Italy with "Wind" I'm paying €20 for 2.5Gb, or €30 for 4.5Gb

Italy has just launched a 24Mb service with a dongle.
Can you imagine that!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back