2013 Mohawk Damp, Bugger :-( (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Habitation service last week has picked up 6 areas of damp some up to 23%, both sides at front below hab windows, offside quite high up adjacent to leg, garage wall both sides and Gas Locker door (gas locker door had to be renewed for same reason at first hab service, they now replace wallboard with plastic now much more sensible)

Dealers workshop has five 2012/2013 AT's in for damp remedial work so mine has to wait till April which actually suits us we'll be flying out to Spain for a month. They will require it 2-3 weeks for the work so can have it for 30 days. Had a good feel around the affected area's and its impossible to detect they feel OK and sound ok when tapped with knuckles.

They also very surprisingly have two V-Lines in with damp problems awaiting inspection by AT, "a panel van"!!! with damp problems would be very worrying.

So feeling somewhat disappointed, dealer assures me it will be properly sorted and I wont know its been repaired? we'll see.

On a happier note it flew through its MOT at our local garage this morning front tyres are almost down to their marks so new Vanco camper on order and they will change over my unused spare and fit the best of the two fronts onto the spare.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Cheers Tonka and here's me thinking mine was a good un!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Year 4 for me and it's back to factory on 22nd feb..
The only good Autotrail is an old un....

Tonka my van is on a Y plate 2001 and never had a problem in the 4 years we have owned it john

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Tonka my van is on a Y plate 2001 and never had a problem in the 4 years we have owned it john

My previous van was a 2005 apache 700.. That was solid and apart from a dryed up seal around the gas fire vent (£5 on ebay). no other habitation issues in 7 years...
I need the new cab and engine, the layout mods and payload of the new one but the body off my old van... Then I will have my dream motorhome.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Year 4 for me and it's back to factory on 22nd feb..
The only good Autotrail is an old un....

:):):):):) sometimes its good to be poor(y)
mines 11 years old next month, just had its mot ( only advisery was exhaust pitted) +full serivice and I had new brake pads fitted all round as it was still on its origanal ones they wernt worn but I had them changed anyway (just in case)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Seems like its only the later models I.e. 2005 onwards . Must be all the parts imported from Europe that are defective,before that I believe all parts were homegrown. ... .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Seems like its only the later models I.e. 2005 onwards . Must be all the parts imported from Europe that are defective,before that I believe all parts were homegrown. ... .
.......or it may be the way that the parts imported from Europe are nailed together by apprentices in the A/T factory. The same imported parts are used on many vans (indeed, the vast majority) without apparent problems. Unless you own a Swift, of course. Hymer, Rapido, Pilote, Chausson (same group as A/T) and even (spit) the dreaded Burstners* don't seem to have recurring damp issues.

*no Burstner owners were harmed in the making of this post............ ;)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
.......or it may be the way that the parts imported from Europe are nailed together by apprentices in the A/T factory. The same imported parts are used on many vans (indeed, the vast majority) without apparent problems. Unless you own a Swift, of course. Hymer, Rapido, Pilote, Chausson (same group as A/T) and even (spit) the dreaded Burstners* don't seem to have recurring damp issues.

*no Burstner owners were harmed in the making of this post............ ;)
Aahh so what your saying ,if I read you right is that the swifts are not made of recycled olive oil spread tubs .but are assembled using proper fixings ..... no margarine tubs were harmed in posting this . haha

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Aahh so what your saying ,if I read you right is that the swifts are not made of recycled olive oil spread tubs .but are assembled using proper fixings ..... no margarine tubs were harmed in posting this . haha
Might be a good idea to google Swift and problems.......:whistle2:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Another one bites the dust..... Still as long as it is covered on warranty. Now if i were to buy another new/old motorhome then Autotrail would definitly not be on my list, thats for sure.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Another one bites the dust..... Still as long as it is covered on warranty. Now if i were to buy another new/old motorhome then Autotrail would definitly not be on my list, thats for sure.
Continental vans have their issues as well, but it seems they are far fewer than with British products.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
when we traded in our first motorhome (2009 chusson flash 3 43k miles) the dealer said he had to test for damp but expected none as it wasn't a British one..........despite the fact they are also dealers for them!!!!!!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Continental vans have their issues as well, but it seems they are far fewer than with British products.

I think they all do but for me i learn by my mistakes :) thats why i wont buy Elddis anymore as such bad customer service when you need it most. I will either buy german or maybe an RV next not sure.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Sad really as the British had a reputation of quality workmanship,and now this one company ruins the whole British built motorhome reputation. . Not that I like much of what I have seen of the European models other than the rapido there's not a lot going for them other than the body being watertight....Roy

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think they all do but for me i learn by my mistakes :) thats why i wont buy Elddis anymore as such bad customer service when you need it most. I will either buy german or maybe an RV next not sure.
I never though that I would use "well built" and "French" in the same sentence but it seems to apply to their motorhomes.....

Reactions: zac

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sad really as the British had a reputation of quality workmanship...Roy

You must be very very young because I remember 60s cars coming pre rusted would hole in a year. Look closely if you see Morse's Jaguar, not a panel is flat because of the extensive repairs.

We didn't get quality manufacture until the Japs moved in and showed us how to do it.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You must be very very young because I remember 60s cars coming pre rusted would hole in a year. Look closely if you see Morse's Jaguar, not a panel is flat because of the extensive repairs.

We didn't get quality manufacture until the Japs moved in and showed us how to do it.

I am that old the sixties cars were ultra modern ..Renault dauphins haha biggest joke ever,was scared to lean on them in case I dented one ... As for British cars the 40s and 50s were the best produced any where in the world ..VW beetles literally fell apart ,yank tanks and alpha Romeos. Well. ..hahahah....i think you must be a lot younger than me hilldweller to focus on the American inspired junk that was produced 1961 onwards.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
So you can't tell it's damp the other side ?
So the other side stays damp and can't breath into the interior ?
So it lasts beyond the warranty before the damp is found the hard way ?
No Brian, the frontier range gas locker door has an almost 2 inch gap running its length between it and the base of the gas locker this acts as the gas drop in case of leakage. So it is very prone to road spray hence my comment a plastic panel makes more sense.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am that old the sixties cars were ultra modern ..Renault dauphins haha biggest joke ever,was scared to lean on them in case I dented one ... As for British cars the 40s and 50s were the best produced any where in the world ..VW beetles literally fell apart ,yank tanks and alpha Romeos. Well. ..hahahah....i think you must be a lot younger than me hilldweller to focus on the American inspired junk that was produced 1961 onwards.
Anyone remember the tv adds for Renault dauphins must have been one of the first

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back