Laws for 50cc Motorcycle in Europe (1 Viewer)

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We have bought a new 50cc Scooter to carry on the back of the van when we go to Europe next year. I do not have a motor cycle category on my license. I can ride it here, with my wife on the back without L Plates. Can I do the same in Europe? Also, do I have to buy separate insurance for it for European cover or will my current motorbike insurance cover it?
Any solid info appreciated.
Thanks, Graham & Jean

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hio , yes you can ride it in europe. yes your insurance covers you in europe,maybe only the minimum required in that country .any vehicle insurance taken out in eu, covers all eu with minimum cover for all year. just remember it could be road risk only.cheers alan

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Scooter

hio , yes you can ride it in europe. yes your insurance covers you in europe,maybe only the minimum required in that country .any vehicle insurance taken out in eu, covers all eu with minimum cover for all year. just remember it could be road risk only.cheers alan
Many thanks again Alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes.
as long as you have a full motorcycle licence then you can ride it in EU countries.

you cant ride/drive anything in any EU country except the UK if you only have a provisional licence for whatever you want to use.

its best to inform your ins company you are going anyway as some companies still require notice even though you will be covered.

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
yes.
as long as you have a full motorcycle licence then you can ride it in EU countries.

you cant ride/drive anything in any EU country except the UK if you only have a provisional licence for whatever you want to use.

its best to inform your ins company you are going anyway as some companies still require notice even though you will be covered.
So are you saying for sure I cannot ride it in Europe on my car license as it is under 50cc?

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m assuming the 50cc is to be classed as a moped ?then you have full licence with your car licence. pappajohn is correct for other m,bikes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So are you saying for sure I cannot ride it in Europe on my car license as it is under 50cc?

sorry Graham....i missread your post anyway.
thought you said you DID have m/cycle entitlement.

it should be classed as a moped....up to 50cc and a maximum design speed of 50kph (31mph)
so yes you can ride it:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Vulcan!

I 'm not sure about it. I've just posted the question on a motocycle forum and am waiting for the answer. The point is i don't know wether it must be under 50cc or up to 50cc to be allowed to drive it without any licence(49,9cc). You must be over 16 years old that's for sure,but i suppose you're older than 16::bigsmile:.

As soon as i have an answer i let you know.
That will concern only France of course

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Many Thanks

Thank you Yodeli, that is really nice of you to go to the trouble to find out for me in France. That is where will be most of the time anyway. The reason I was asking is because in Turkey, where we have an apartment and they are not in the EU, you cannot ride anything without a Motorcycle license.
Thanks again for finding out for me.
Best wishes, Graham & Jean

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back