Have you seen how much money they want for a .............. (1 Viewer)

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
PVC !!!! The wife says " as you are getting old, in about fourteen months you are going to run into the 3500 weight problem. You've either got to go through the medical / eye test thingy to maintain your licence as is, or change moHome for a PVC which keeps us below the 3500 limit.

So, being a good boy, l do as l am told, and begin to research the market as to what l can get for my money ( her's really, in that all our money is hers. In days gone by she had a bank account which was hers : we have a joint account, which is hers : l had an account, which was hers ). Now l admit that l am looking towards the top end of the market, in that this is likely to be the last ever MoHome l (she ) buys. I'm ( from now on assume that when l say l'm, l really mean " her " ) looking for high end build quality in a PVC, simply because l don't want it falling apart at the seams a couple of years down the line.

Base vehicle preferences are, must have an Auto box ( neither of us have a licence that allows us to drive manuals ) : really, really like Mercs, but as a last resort will put up with the Fiat (sigh). The only PVC l can find on a Merc is the Lunar Landstar.

Layout preferences : this is where it gets really difficult with PVC''s, simply because we do not like any fixed bed combo. From our point of view they just take up too much of the limited available space. We prefer lounge space to fixed beds. Why do manufacturers try to pack so, so much into such a limited space. Have they never heard of the saying " less is more ".

So far we have come up with a shortlist of :

Lunar Landstar
IH (although l appear to be getting the impression from various posts on various forums, that their build quality is not what it was ( but could be wrong here )
Vantage

But the money they want is eye watering at circa £60,000.00.

Anyone got any other suggestions.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There are still a good many coachbuilts that are under 3500kg with a decent payload. I would feel that I had better value for money buying a coachbuilt if the prices are so similar.
Have you looked at Autosleepers? I was in the showroom a couple of days ago, they do quite a few PVC's

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Maybe not the answer your looking for, but have you considered a 'compact'
or C class?

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Allan :

I've had a long look at the AutoSleepers PVC's ( our present MoHome is the AutoSleepers Berkshire ), and once l've specked it up to what l want, they too are in the £60,000.00 region.

Maybe l need to follow you advice, and begin searching for a below 3500 coach built - any suggestions as to where to start for one on a Merc ?

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Following on from my post to Allan above, what l don't want is a fixed bed variety of whatever.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
PVC !!!! The wife says " as you are getting old, in about fourteen months you are going to run into the 3500 weight problem. You've either got to go through the medical / eye test thingy to maintain your licence as is, or change moHome for a PVC which keeps us below the 3500 limit.

So, being a good boy, l do as l am told, and begin to research the market as to what l can get for my money ( her's really, in that all our money is hers. In days gone by she had a bank account which was hers : we have a joint account, which is hers : l had an account, which was hers ). Now l admit that l am looking towards the top end of the market, in that this is likely to be the last ever MoHome l (she ) buys. I'm ( from now on assume that when l say l'm, l really mean " her " ) looking for high end build quality in a PVC, simply because l don't want it falling apart at the seams a couple of years down the line.

Base vehicle preferences are, must have an Auto box ( neither of us have a licence that allows us to drive manuals ) : really, really like Mercs, but as a last resort will put up with the Fiat (sigh). The only PVC l can find on a Merc is the Lunar Landstar.

Layout preferences : this is where it gets really difficult with PVC''s, simply because we do not like any fixed bed combo. From our point of view they just take up too much of the limited available space. We prefer lounge space to fixed beds. Why do manufacturers try to pack so, so much into such a limited space. Have they never heard of the saying " less is more ".

So far we have come up with a shortlist of :

Lunar Landstar
IH (although l appear to be getting the impression from various posts on various forums, that their build quality is not what it was ( but could be wrong here )
Vantage

But the money they want is eye watering at circa £60,000.00.

Anyone got any other suggestions.
This might not help if you are looking for something different to Fiat Ducato but I have been researching PVC's for the last three months with a view to changing ours for a brand new one and I have shortlisted two vans, one is the Autotrail Tribute 670 which is very good value at around £38000 and the Autocruise Alto at around £45000 but has a fixed bed. Our dilemma is that each van is not 100% perfect for us, so be prepared to have to make compromises when looking at different models !!!

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I'm with you Allanm. The one major downside of a PVC is having a sliding side door that lets the cold in!

Brian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our Murvi Morocco is nearly three years old and nothing has fallen off internally, no leaks and it has the best kitchen, loo and lounging area you can get in my view - which is why we bought it. :) Not the cheapest, just the best.

I wouldn't swap it for a coach built as we like the big uninterrupted door opening which let's the outside in when it is warm enough to leave open.

End of advert!

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Have you thought of a Hymer Exsis? Well below your weight limit, excellent quality and you can save a lot if you import from Germany.

I've done it twice, it's not difficult.

Mike

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Hymer MT T super lightweight on 3500kg Mercedes Chasis starting from £50,400 before extras. Super Chasis, Hymer quality and slightly narrower than a std coach built, you can't go wrong.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Best build quality & design on a PVC that we have found is Globecar & if you import one ( quite a few Funsters have ) then considerable money to be saved (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Have a look at Link Removed
It's the German equivalent of Autotrader but so much more.
It has a specific motorhome section and you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the prices.
Judge Mental (above) has alluded to it. Have a look and be prepared to be shocked at the price differences.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm with you Allanm. The one major downside of a PVC is having a sliding side door that lets the cold in!

Brian

And makes them a real pain to neighbours and worse makes it look like a delivery van with added bed.

Plenty of C class MHs under 3.5 and Hymer do full A class at that weight.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I wouldn't swap it for a coach built as we like the big uninterrupted door opening which let's the outside in when it is warm enough to leave open.
And that's the thing we've noticed on our travels - PVC's are great when the weather is good.
But when it's cold or wet, it must be claustrophobic?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Best build quality & design on a PVC that we have found is Globecar & if you import one ( quite a few Funsters have ) then considerable money to be saved (y)
Mines a globecar/Pössl real nice spec:)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Have a look at Autotrail Tracker EKS. 3,500 Kg
DONT listen to the doom merchants.
Ours has two side benches which either slide out partly to give two single day beds, OR pull right out to give a generous 5 foot wide by 2 Mtr long King size bed.
You can get Auto box.
Good luck.
Mitch.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And that's the thing we've noticed on our travels - PVC's are great when the weather is good.
Not a bit of it, too many windows and rooflights plus floor space. However, we don't have a fixed bed - but that's an entirely different discussion!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Why has it got to be new,,,mine is 20 years old this year, has heating,hot water toilet and shower. So reliable i never worry. We do 7 months every year into Europe, Spain Portugal France Germany etc. Beds are better than home...value approx £12000. Ideal with no flashing dash board lights,juddering or damp ingress,,Autosleeper Excelsior..

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Our Murvi Morocco is nearly three years old and nothing has fallen off internally, no leaks and it has the best kitchen, loo and lounging area you can get in my view - which is why we bought it. :) Not the cheapest, just the best.

End of advert!

We too love the big sliding door that lets the world in when it's nice weather. If we want the normal sized door we use the back ones. Or one of them.

PVCs are stupid money but do hold values really well. For me as the driver I wanted something as car like as possible so we can tour extensively and our Auto Sleeper is brilliant for that .

I sometimes lust after more space though but we can't have everything..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've found our PVCs feel less claustrophobic than any of the coachbuilts we've had, our PVCs have had nice big windows on each side, rather than larger pieces of bodywork as you get on a coachbuilt as some only have windows on one side of the lounge area - eg none in habitation door or panel next to it.

In bad weather our PVC feels lovely and snug (but not small) rather than being stuck in a large coachbuilt box, our PVC is also easier to keep warm too (you don't HAVE to open the sliding door fully to get in/out). In nice weather though it cannot be beaten ... the side door fully open to see the view and even if its too chilly to sit outside it's usually still nice to sit inside with the door open looking out. This is a major reason why I prefer PVCs over coachbuilts - I feel hemmed-in in a coachbuilt as no matter what you do you can only open the windows or habitation door, the bodywork is still there, with a PVC you get a lovely large opening ... I love it.

When it's really hot during the day though we find the PVC excellent - we have both the side and rear doors open so we get the air drifting through and as we have a fixed rear bed being able to slob on that with the rear doors open and look out at the view etc is fantastic. One thing we did worry about and which prevented us from changing to a PVC earlier was whether the PVC would heat up in summer more than a coachbuilt and cause problems for the dogs but we haven't found any difference at all - we just wish we'd got one earlier!

They do cost a lot of money new but if you buy wisely and haggle well you can get them nearly-new/ex-demo for a very good price. Also some of the non-standard stuff you want, eg solar panel, gas bottles, this extra costs applies to both coachbuilt and PVCs and as with most things, getting these elsewhere rather than from the dealer can save a LOT of dosh.

Ooooo ... I NEED a trip away in our PVC ... I wonder what the weather's like at the weekend ... ????

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I STILL want to know what the PVC "fetish" is all about. Does it feature whips and all that??

The world, (OK, some old and nosey Funsters then) needs to know!!!!! Are we back to posting about sites in Somerset? It need to be told!!

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back