Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
retford nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato MWB selfbuild
Exp
1 year
Hi, im looking at buying a 12v TV, one that as a USB socket that will work my Tb external hardrive with all my films i have on it, any recommendations ?
regards

?

Deleted User
Sorry. god knows why my link did not show up. Dam tablet is rubbish for copy/paste.

Amazon product ASIN B003VPJZ48
Sorry mate. God knows why the link is not shown. Just google 12v tv and the first hit is amazon. Nice 16" for 140 quid with freeview/dvd/usb

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We were googling this just the other day. Cello and Manta seem to both do them or there are some unbranded ones out there.

We have an Avtex. Bit pricey but no complaints and their after service is second to none.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Check the power requirement of the hard drive before you commit, Some H-D`s need more power than the USB can deliver?. One reason why some H-D`s (not all) come with a second USB power connection, often as a split cable one for Data One for Power. But even so some H-D`s need more than some USB ports can output?.

As an example, I have a car USB adapter with outputs 1amp. It will not cope with the I-pad which need 2Amps. The i-pad goes into a "sulk"! and will not charge, swap it for the 2A one and bingo, no issue!!.

Pete

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Can anyone recommend a digital and analogue tv/dvd player ? BUSBY.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi, im looking at buying a 12v TV, one that as a USB socket that will work my Tb external hardrive with all my films i have on it, any recommendations ?
regards
the cello's all have your requirement i did just what you want to do:)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Loads of us have normal domestic TVs which these days all seem to run a USB port for recording and playback. All you have to do is ensure it has an external 12V power supply.

Ours is Kogan but I've not seen that brand for a while.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey Landy are you heading down France in the near future as we have a spare Cello, if you can cope with the poor sound and a remote that came out of a Christmas cracker you can have it

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hey Landy are you heading down France in the near future as we have a spare Cello, if you can cope with the poor sound and a remote that came out of a Christmas cracker you can have it[/QUOTE

Are they that bad

Joe

OP
OP
PAT N PAUL

PAT N PAUL

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
retford nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato MWB selfbuild
Exp
1 year
laneside thanks for the very kind offer but wont be traveling to France for a few years yet, need to look after parents.
thanks again landyman (paul)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Some TVs like our AVtex have a USB ports, but will not support a drive with file folders. It only sees the actual files and ignores folders. We have to transfer films onto a USB stick to watch them.
It has 2 USB ports but will have problems (jumping and freezing) if a stick is in each one. So only one port is usable at any one time.

Power consumption 54w. or 4.5 amps at 12v.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Loads of us have normal domestic TVs which these days all seem to run a USB port for recording and playback. All you have to do is ensure it has an external 12V power supply.

Ours is Kogan but I've not seen that brand for a while.
What he said.
We use a normal domestic tv with all the gizmos and ports, 26" and just about fits in the original TV locker. We use it on an inverter but the power consumption is very low. Think we paid £129 in the sale from Sainsburys, it is a Blaupunkt tv.

If you were to go down the domestic tv route and an inverter you will get far more choice and more for your money. The inverter need not be a big one either, or pure sine, maybe 150w upwards, but take advice on that.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
They used to say that an inverter for TV needs to be a true square wave, yet people are using cheap inverters to run them, so presumably the low consumption of today's LED TVs allows this?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They used to say that an inverter for TV needs to be a true..............................

As long as you try it for a while and can return it under warranty easily then just try it. If it does not say in big letters "Use only mains electricity" then you are doing no wrong.

The supermarkets often have good offers on.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They used to say that an inverter for TV needs to be a true square wave, yet people are using cheap inverters to run them, so presumably the low consumption of today's LED TVs allows this?

Most tv s are 12 volt so an inverter is not needed,,just a new lead to plug into 12 volt supply. BUSBY.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Most tv s are 12 volt so an inverter is not needed, just a new lead to plug into 12 volt supply. BUSBY.
The salespeople I have spoken to in the past do not know if the TV is powered by a 12v transformer or not, but simply say that it is a mains TV. I have not found a 12v powered in this way since I had a horrible 16" one that I had to send back because of the poor viewing angle. I have said to them that a 12v TV is an asset to some people, oh no, they insist, it's a 240v. They've no idea. It's just a box with pictures to them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back