Any advice for a first trip to Holland? (1 Viewer)

Liebs

Free Member
Apr 11, 2015
York
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We bought our first motorhome last year and have only done a few short trips within the UK so far. We have taken the plunge and booked the Hull to Rotterdam ferry in May with a view to doing a 10 day trip around Holland. It's exciting... but a little bit daunting at the same time! All top tips, advice and any campsite and/or sightseeing recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

?

Deleted User
I go every year to visit friends. Its flat and dam boring unless you have a dedicated reason to go or like to get wasted in Amsterdam. Cant say for the north of Amsterdam as that is meant to be nice However. I tend to cross up at Newcastle to Ijmuiden < Could be wrong spelling. From the ferry its only a 4 hour drive to get down to the Mossele Valley or another hour to get right into the Black forest. Dont get me wrong the Dutch are nice and friendly people but for the wow factor you will see a lot more heading south. You will cover a lot of ground in 10 days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
Include a trip to https://www.obelink.co.uk/ in your journey and don't bother buying any accessories before you get there! I reckon we saved hundreds. There are sites nearby for an overnighter.

I would cross price some of that with go outdoors as it does not look much cheaper and what if you want something and its out of stock? Look at go outdoors discount card price. If you fancy something you buy the card at the till before you shop. Its only £5 per year.

Upvote 0
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Visited friends twice now in the Netherlands and found the country to be very clean and tidy, almost sterile in its landscape but also very flat and boring. You can only take so many windmills and dykes. Amsterjam is a must with a very useful campsite and a free ferry to the centre all day and evening. Be warned that public toilets are pretty non existent in the netherlands and there will be a charge in most stores etc so if you are 'regular' be sure to make use of any opportunities that arise in a bar etc

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
On our 2012 trip we stayed on this campsite at Noordwijkerhout, an easy drive from Rotterdam or Hook of Holland. Only a 10 minute walk to a lovely beach or pleasant town. The site is in the ACSI scheme so you would be able to stay for a lowish price in May. Very nice restaurants nearby. Also good site if you like horse riding, several stables nearby.

We found all the Dutch people we met to be very friendly - and it seems everyone speaks good English!

Paul

Noordwijkerhout.JPG

horses.JPG

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
Maastricht on the south is meant to be nice also and each year i keep saying i should stop but the main road through has road works what has been ongoing for years so its that busy i never want to turn off. If you do find yourself going through that roadworks stay on the inside lane. The outside stops for a left turn only with no warning a few times what is fine when in the car but would be a pain in a motorhome. If you like theme parks Holland has a few good ones. You only pay €20 or whatever to get in and the rides are free.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
a 10 day trip around Holland. It's exciting...

As exciting as a pancake on which it was modelled. Then there is water, there's a whole lot of water.

The saving grace of Holland is Valkenberg, which has a hill. I think maybe Valkenberg was once German so they did not flatten that bit.

Because much is below sea level you will see some fine engineering attempting to keep the sea out.

Or you could visit Bruges, a spectacular city.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Holland is a great place for motorhoming but it is flat and can be a bit bleak if the weather is poor. We spent a month there in July 2013 in blazing sunshine and had a great time. I would suggest the north is the most interesting area (unless you like hectares of unrelieved bulb-fields in garish colours). Above Amsterdam is Den Helder with a good camperstop on the harbour. This was the Dutch naval base and has quite a bit of maritime history. Also a ferry departure point for the islands (Texel etc.). Across the 'Afsluitdijk' (an intersting experience) and a bit further up the coast is Harlingen which is a pretty port. Then further East you have the whole of Groningen which is very agricultural. Circle clockwise to the Northeast edge of Holland then come back down into Drenthe wich is heavily wooded. Further west again towards the Ijsselmeer is a national park that is a wildlife paradise and can be visited by small boat. Moving south one can travel 'up' the river Ijssel from Kampen visiting many of the old 'Hansa Towns' that were part of the Hanseatic League (Kampen, Zwolle, Deventer, Zutphen).
Camperstops are often at marinas (referred to as Jachthaven) - use CamperContact to find locations http://www.campercontact.com/en/
Don't expect too many free camperstops - compared with French aires, which are often free, they tend to charge €5-€10 per night typically. Finally, if you cycle, don't forget the bikes and watch out for bikes at all times when driving or walking.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Its flat and dam boring unless you have a dedicated reason to go or like to get wasted in Amsterdam.
As a person born in Holland and have travelled around that country quite a bit I was annoyed by the comment
that it is flat and boring. The question was not where can I go apart from Holland but where can I go in Holland. I,m a bit tired of negative responses that i come across in the forums that I have been reading. The above post by JeanLuc gave some great positive advise , bravo to you.
Sorry about the rant but I have posted some serious questions in the past only to get negative reactions.
Go out explore Holland its a great place despite what some people have said.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We did our first trip to Europe last year and part of it was in Holland. We stayed near Maastricht for 3 nights. What a lovely (not flat) area. We visited the city one day using the buses and the next day hired bikes to cycle around. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

We are going via Harwich to the hook this summer and i will be spending time again in Holland. :)

Upvote 0

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I would cross price some of that with go outdoors as it does not look much cheaper and what if you want something and its out of stock? Look at go outdoors discount card price. If you fancy something you buy the card at the till before you shop. Its only £5 per year.
Go to the Dutch site - a euro / pound almost direct conversion - if not less. AND a massive range, Go Outdoors looks like a corner shop by comparison.

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
As a person born in Holland and have travelled around that country quite a bit I was annoyed by the comment
that it is flat and boring. The question was not where can I go apart from Holland but where can I go in Holland. I,m a bit tired of negative responses that i come across in the forums that I have been reading. The above post by JeanLuc gave some great positive advise , bravo to you.
Sorry about the rant but I have posted some serious questions in the past only to get negative reactions.
Go out explore Holland its a great place despite what some people have said.

If someone says to me what do you think of Marmite i will tell them its crap and i hate it. If someone asks about Holland i tell it as i see it. I never slagged of the dutch people i find the country flat and boring. Many people slag off Scotland due to rain, neds, deep fried mars bars, buckie, midges, kilts....... the list goes on. I think i can take it on the chin without the need to cry like a little girl when people slag it off. BTW, Ill be back in Holland for a few days come October. Mostly Linne and Gemert. Boring places but full of nice people who i like.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
Go to the Dutch site - a euro / pound almost direct conversion - if not less. AND a massive range, Go Outdoors looks like a corner shop by comparison.

I will have another look as i am after a drive away awning. I was just having a quick look at the table and chairs what are much as much. Being a jock i am always looking for a bargain. :D

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Its got one of the best race circuits in Europe (TT Assen The Cathedral of speed )with some of the friendliest, passionate & knowledgeable fans you'll ever meet.

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
They have an awning area the size of Go Outdoors - you won't be disappointed.
That megastore in the east border is some size. To far north for me this year so ill need to look into something more south.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Your question was "Any advise for a first trip to Holland" I think some people misinterpreted the question. I don't think you are asking "what do you think about Holland" or "should I go somewhere else".
Here's some places that I have been to that we found interesting.
Of course Amsterdam - We stayed in the city camp which is just across from the railway station and a free ferry ride takes you there.
Zutphen - a really pretty town that has an aire which costs 2 euros.
Oudewater - an old town with a canal running through it. It has a free aire on the edge of the town.
Dordrecht is a large town which has a harbour a well as canals running through it.
Near Arnhem they have an open air museum which you can easily spend a full day there.
Enkhuisen in the north they have a maritime village , also a full day can be spent their.
Groningen in the north is a larger town but also well worth visiting.
Deft - The town is quaint and has lots of pottery and places where you can see it being made.
If you are into cheese then of course Gouda, Edam and Alkmaar, all interesting to visit.
Maybe too late for Tulips but Keukenhof is spectacular when they are in flower.
Yes in Holland you do see windmills but the best place to see many all in one place is the Kinderdijk about 15 kms
from Rotterdam. There you can go inside one and see how it works.
Giethoorn although plenty of tourist go there is a place worth visting.
I could go on but where I am it's very late. All those places can be Googled to get more information.
Holland ,yes it is flat. But boring only to those people who haven't taken the time to go out and explore the place.
Hope this is of some help. Sorry about the rant in the previous post but I get pissed of when people don't address the intent of the question and give negative replies. As the name says this is suppose to be a fun site.

Upvote 0

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
All top tips, advice and any campsite and/or sightseeing recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

If someone says to me what do you think of Marmite i will tell them its crap and i hate it. If someone asks about Holland i tell it as i see it..........Many people slag off Scotland..........I think i can take it on the chin without the need to cry like a little girl when people slag it off. .

But no-one asked for your opinion on Holland, they asked for tips, advice and recommendations. If you haven't got any then kindly keep your opinions to yourself.

Sorry Liebs, I have been to Holland but only on a very short trip some years ago so can't help you, but we did enjoy our trip.

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
But no-one asked for your opinion on Holland, they asked for tips, advice and recommendations. If you haven't got any then kindly keep your opinions to yourself.

Sorry Liebs, I have been to Holland but only on a very short trip some years ago so can't help you, but we did enjoy our trip.

Going not talk crap to me Mr forum police officer. If you had been to wherever and came back to say to the OP it was ace and you should do this that or the other that would be based on your opinion as well as experience. So why would your opinion be allowed and not mine? See where the OP said "All top tips" i gave mine what was go a few hours south for more of the wow factor. That could also be looked at as advice what the OP also asked for. I go to Holland every year. Apart from the bike rally i go to and visiting old mates the place is quite boring and it is flat whether you like it or not.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Holland ,yes it is flat. But boring only to those people who haven't taken the time to go out and explore the place.

And you fail to mention Valkenberg which has to be one of the best tourist attractions in the Netherlands with a very good campsite. Many people on here visit the Christmas Market there.

And it's not flat, in fact it a one hell of a toboggan ride from the top of the hill back to town.

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Though lacking in elevation changes.
Thats part of the buzz you cant see that far ahead, my favourite track of all so so fast & flowing & going through turn 6 Ruskenhoek flat in 6th that's it just there (y)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thats part of the buzz you cant see that far ahead

We turned up once mid week, just happened to near on holiday, but they would not let us have look around. So never seen it apart from on TV. Always a great atmosphere there.

I could not see any logic in shortening it, looks like they spoiled it.

One day, maybe.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Agree with city camp for Amsterdam, very handy, Gouda is nice and again the parking mentioned is very handy for walking into town.

We are going end of May for a international Tandem rally at Chaam, that's Tandem bicycle.

@Liebs we nearly always do the Hull Zeebrugge ferry and find the best price is booking with the Caravan Club and taking at least 3 camping cheques, sometimes the Zeebrugge ferry is a better price than the Rotterdam one and I prefer driving out of Zeebrugge compared to Rotterdam, but it not quite in Holland!

Martin

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Holland last september, stayed at 3 lovely campsites, we took the Hull Rotterdam ferry, travelled north to the Lauwersmeer National park, there are islands that you can visit there, visited an eel smoke shop at Reitdeip, we did like the smoked eel. We then stayed at a marina campsite just off Marken, you can cycle to Marken and take the boat to Vollendam then cycle again to Edam. We caught the bus there ito Amsterdam for the day, lots to take in there, art museums, Parks, shops, cafes, red light area, canal trips etc etc etc. Final nights spent at Delft staying at Delftse Hout campsite, very pleasant park and short cycle ride into Delft, again lots to interest us but depends what you like. We caught the train into Rotterdam from Delft leaving our electric bikes in the huge under station bike storage area. We particularly enjoyed the food market in Rotterdam ... We will definately visit Holland again, we loved it and lots more to see.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg