Nature Head composting toilet for small spaces. (1 Viewer)

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
I have looked over nearly all the posts and I was wondering why no one seems to use a composting toilet in your 5th wheel or Moterhome if you have a black tank. It would save fresh drinking water, you could connect your grey and black tank together giving you more capacity of grey water so you do not have to dump so often. You do not have to deal with that black tank and the hoses.

image.jpeg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It looks like a medical device from the seventies, with clips catches and levers lol

I used to deal with a chap called Dick Barton ( true) that used to make them for coaches

Fro memory a lot more hassle, a slower process and aesthetically not really acceptable I guess

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
With that small urine tank it would mean queueing up with all the Eurobox owners on the Daily Walk of Shame. :D

I'll stick with 350 litres of waste tanks and empty once a fortnight!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I am guessing that its not the sort of thing the mainstream motorhome/caravaner would spend there money on. But I'm sure there are some self builders that have looked into it or have installed one as part of the build.

As full timers I have looked into it many times and the natures head one comes out high up the list of search's in the US/Canada. Sometime in the future we will invest in one but at the moment its hard to justify the £700ish spend.

You could search for self build motorhomes and have a look on there forums.

I will follow this thread with interest.

Shawn.

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
The only problem seems to be the liquid side but I plan to get a tote tank for this so I only have to go to the dump station once a month or so. As I am on my oŵn and not got the 5th wheeler yet I have not tested how much liquid I produce. I have been known to have a drink so I could fill it quick I suppose.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I guess having to carry a bag of peat with you might be seen as a bit of a disadvantage. The website also says it is only 13" wide at the bottom. I fear this may be too small for some of us. :)

I think it is a device which would be useful for say a cabin in the woods, especially for somewhere like Alaska when it gets so cold a typical outside composting toilet would be a bit of a test of endurance but for any application where a tank can be plumbed in then it seems unnecessary.

I also suspect the SOG system it has will produce some interesting smells for the enjoyment of your neighbours!

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm struggling to see the benefit over a standard cassette toilet, other than it 'may' be easier disposing of urine than a mix of urine and poo

The Thetford cassette needs emptying on average every 3 to 4 days .. 17 or 22 lt (depending on model) .. the urine bottle in the compost toilet is 2.2 US gal = 8.3 lt ... it would need emptying more frequently.... so I don't see the advantage..

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
I can see your point about just 13". I was thinking of fixing it to a large water proof bass to give it stability. Height is another problem as you sit for a number one it seems. I could lift the lot up so I could stand then have a foot stool.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can see your point about just 13". I was thinking of fixing it to a large water proof bass to give it stability. Height is another problem as you sit for a number one it seems. I could lift the lot up so I could stand then have a foot stool.
Sorry, my 13" comment was a weak joke about bottoms (human). :) I will resist the urge to comment on a foot stool, which I am sure is nothing to do with a unit of measurement. :D

But of course nothing like a brightly painted stool to cheer up the loo compartment.

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
I suppose if the black could be used for Urine only then that could be dumped at the same time as the grey tank every few months.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I suppose if the black could be used for Urine only then that could be dumped at the same time as the grey tank every few months.

or just pee in the shower... like we all do anyway :LOL:

this has taken the 'toilet' thread to a new level..

OP
OP
daved2524

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Well I have fitted the natures head composting toilet and I like it.
Liquids disposed of about every 6 days. I have not needed to dispose of the solids yet and that's over 6 weeks. No smells.
With the two tanks used for grey water I have about 64 gal of grey water capacity.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I know that one of the composting toilets has an option of a discharge pipe instead of a 'liquids' tank------I would think this would suit a black tank system better------it is something I have looked into

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think it is a device which would be useful for say a cabin in the woods, especially for somewhere like Alaska when it gets so cold a typical outside composting toilet would be a bit of a test of endurance!

Was once snowmobiling in British Columbia near an old deserted gold mining settlement, the facilities were an old wooden shack, complete with "crescent moon" cut out in the door ! On entering and foolishly peering down through the hole in the plank, I saw what could only be described as a giant brown iceberg, just glad I wasn't around when the thaw set in :sick:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back