Satellite help please! (2 Viewers)

ringle

Free Member
Aug 2, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 month!
Set up my globesat dish, plugged in the freeview receiver - got BBC1, 2 ITV and channel 5 (couldn't get channel 4?) and got a few other Cbeebies etc..why can I not get the fullset of freeview channels?

Also, i swapped the box for my Sky+ box once I had good signal strength, but couldn't get anything except BBC2??

Anyone help me? Thx

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
do you mean a 'free to air' sat receiver?

you should have well over 100 channels including many foreign ones.

how did you set the dish.....trial and error or a signal meter?

did you do a 're-scan channels'

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Set up my globesat dish, plugged in the freeview receiver - got BBC1, 2 ITV and channel 5 (couldn't get channel 4?) and got a few other Cbeebies etc..why can I not get the fullset of freeview channels?

Also, i swapped the box for my Sky+ box once I had good signal strength, but couldn't get anything except BBC2??

Anyone help me? Thx

Which sat receiver are you using?

Check signal on Sky. Press services - 4 - 6 & this tells you the signal you are receiving. It must be passed the K in OK to be good enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Is this any help, can't imagine why unless Ch4 is encrypted and you don't have a card but you say you get Ch5? Sorry not up to date on what is up there. I'm only a retired satellite TV controller :Blush:

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be the dish isnt in perfect alignment.
you really need a sat signal meter to get it bang on...

a weak reciever signal will only pick up the strongest transmitted signals.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
All carriers on the satellite should be the same level, each carrier has a number of tv channels on so I doubt if it's the dish alignment. Think you are correct sinbad1.

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have an old sky box in the van and find that if it is not used for some time then Ch4 is not available when the system is first tuned in. After about 1/2 hr it magically appears.

lunarman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All carriers on the satellite should be the same level, each carrier has a number of tv channels on so I doubt if it's the dish alignment.

looks like it needs a re-scan then.

twice, recently, my Zhender box has changed from Astra to hotbird when first turned on....
now thats confusing!

signal meter says spot on but screen says no signal.....of course the dish is pointing at Astra 2 (so meter shows full strength) but hotbird is a different satellite (so no signal, hense no picture)

reset to astra 2 and away we go:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ringle

Free Member
Aug 2, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 month!
thanks for the replies.
Definitely pointing at Astra 28.2E, but are you saying that once pointing and receiving pictures albeit not from all 100+ cahnnels - I should do a re-scan?

How do you perform a re-scan with a Sky box? Never needed to, coz the little men in their van and just turn up and "do it"!!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If its a sky receiver box and has been stood for a while and the card not been used, Lunar man is correct.......it could take a while for to download and start......this what a sky man told me anything up to 24 hours but normally just a few hours ....you may also find some of the other free channels take a while.....the other alternative is to use it at home before you go away
Mel

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks for the replies.
Definitely pointing at Astra 28.2E, but are you saying that once pointing and receiving pictures albeit not from all 100+ cahnnels - I should do a re-scan?

How do you perform a re-scan with a Sky box? Never needed to, coz the little men in their van and just turn up and "do it"!!

i've never used a 'sky' box so dont know the system but there should be a menu in there somewhere for installation and a sub menu within that for channel scanning.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

Anyone help me? Thx

Firstly, by plugging a Freeview box to a dish you will not get anything.
Freeview is the TV systsem that uses digital signals via a TV aerial and land based transmitters.

A Freesat box is a free to air Satellite receiver, just like a Sky box.

So you will; not get all of the Freeview channels on Freesat as they are just not there - channels on Freeview like Dave are subscription channels on satellite!

You do not need to "rescan" channels in sky box, it should do this automatically when it boot up.

If your sky box has not been connected to a dish and signal for a while then it may still have old software in it - for the basic sky receivers the current software version is 3.7.x - see in services 4 and 5.
if you know you have a good signal you can try and doo a manual software update (unplug press and hold back up button on box (not remote) plug poewr back in - wait for three lights release back up button). even this may not gaurentee the box udates - some boxes have taken upto 6 weeks to update!

Also, if not getting a siganlfrom thesatellites for a few weeks, a sky card can "go to sleep". in which case the card should wake up within 72 hours (sometimes within a hour!) when it starts to get a signals again. if the sky card has been out of the receiver for a long time then it will have dies and a replacement may be requiered.

C4 has been free to air for over a year now and does not requrie a sky card.....although if you do have an old version of sky software then it may not appear in the EPG listings until you introduce a working sky card.

Even without a Sky card, depending on where you are in europe, your sky box should be able to receive at least 100+ channels....many of them the crap ones!

If you get BBC2 then you should also be getting C4, as they are on similar horizontal frequencies - so check cable connections, check alignment, check lnb skew.

you dont say where you are, but over southern europe these frequencies can be tricky to receive.

you could always try you box on another dish and make sure the box is not at fault, and try another box on your selt up to see if your setup is at fault...

hope this helps or at least gives food for thought...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ringle

Free Member
Aug 2, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 month!
wow - a comprehensive reply indeed!!! I tried it in Normandy, but didn't waste too much time on ite, as I was just glad that I finally got the free to air decoder working. I am back home in Cheshire now - and have my FTA box picking up the usual BBC1,2 ITV etc..-but again no Dave or any of the other ones you normally get free.

I shall try my Sky+ box this weekend (it is used all the time at home so a "dead card" shouldn't be the problem

thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wow - a comprehensive reply indeed!!! I tried it in Normandy, but didn't waste too much time on ite, as I was just glad that I finally got the free to air decoder working. I am back home in Cheshire now - and have my FTA box picking up the usual BBC1,2 ITV etc..-but again no Dave or any of the other ones you normally get free.

I shall try my Sky+ box this weekend (it is used all the time at home so a "dead card" shouldn't be the problem

thanks

the 'free' channels you get on a terrestrial digibox arent neccessarily free on 'free to air' satellite.

a lot are 'premium' channels and must be paid for.

Dave being one of them i believe.

ITV 1, 2, 3, 4. 2+1, 3+1, 4+1.
BBC 1, 2, 3, 4.
E4, E4+1
channel 4, channel 4+1
five.
film 4, film 4 +1

all free on FTA satellite + many others.

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Which channels are you not getting? has Ch4 returned? Dont forget that some channels available on Freeview are not available on a sky box being used without a paid for card.

Lunarman

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I am back home in Cheshire now - and have my FTA box picking up the usual BBC1,2 ITV etc..-but again no Dave or any of the other ones you normally get free.
thanks

as i said above
So you will; not get all of the Freeview channels on Freesat as they are just not there - channels on Freeview like Dave are subscription channels on satellite!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back