First Annual Service cost for Ducato 250 (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
What would you expect to pay for the first annual service for. 2.3 Ducato?

My nearest main dealer is quoting between £250 to £300 + VAT which sounds expensive to me.

Another commercial vehicle garage, which used to be a Fiat main dealer but has now moved to Scania, is quoting me £170 all in!

My local friendly mechanic, who normally does all my servicing and repairs, is willing to do it but suggests that, as the first main service may also include software updates and/or recalls, it may be better to use Fiat as they have all the gear required.

Any comments?

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I have just had my van serviced with an MOT for £354 at my local VW commercial dealership, turns out they are also a Fiat service agent, that explains why there were other motorhomes in being serviced. A general service is £150 and a full bells a whistles service is £350, I also saw a sign on the wall stating they do a cam-belt change on Fiats from £254 inc. vat which sounds good to me.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
How many hours labour for a full service?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Mine was about 3 hours I think but that included a brake oil change, the MOT was done off site at £59 (included in the £354) so it would be interesting to know what extra you get for a full service being it is £200 more!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you mean the first service, which is normally due after two years according to the service schedule? If so anything under £400 is good I think.

However, the service schedule also says low mileage vehicles should have oil and filter changed annually, for which you might pay around £150.

While under warranty I'm using the dealer even though in theory you don't have to.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
For those near Blackburn, give Canterbury Street garage a ring, you will be very surprised, under £200. Don't be frightened by the price, we and family have used him for donkeys years, never a problem. Totally trustworthy. Although mainly cars he has steady trickle of motorhomes coming to him for servicing.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Do you mean the first service, which is normally due after two years according to the service schedule? If so anything under £400 is good I think.

However, the service schedule also says low mileage vehicles should have oil and filter changed annually, for which you might pay around £150.

While under warranty I'm using the dealer even though in theory you don't have to.
My local friendly mechanic did an oil and filter change for me at 1000 miles to clear the initial running period crap out.

It is his suggestion regarding software updates etc at first service which is making me think of paying the extra at the Fiat dealership, otherwise I would use the ex Fiat, now Scania dealer, who I have dealt with before.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Service required every 2 years. Read your service manual. Garage guy's want your money so will recommend something different.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As per Phil, it doesn't need doing until the 2 year anniversary so why spend hundreds of pounds for nothing! If you are worried just get a basic one done by a local independent garage for a fraction of the cost - it will NOT affect your warranty so long as the garage is vat registered and sticks to using the correct quality parts.

As for the software update - you should be able to request this FOC without having to have a service done! However if I wasn't having any issues I wouldn't let them do any updates just for the sake of it, as they can cause problems as others have found.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Service required every 2 years. Read your service manual. Garage guy's want your money so will recommend something different.
My service manual doesn't give frequency of service, but I have looked up on Internet.

Beginning to think I will let independent VAT registered garage carry out short service for me.

Thanks.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My service manual doesn't give frequency of service, but I have looked up on Internet.

Beginning to think I will let independent VAT registered garage carry out short service for me.

Thanks.
They will gladly take your money too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it helps work out if you are getting a full service or not with genuine Fiat parts, on my bill it lists that they changed four filters: fuel, engine, pollen and air - and the cost of these items came to around £180 plus VAT. The fuel filter element was the most expensive at £77. For labour I was billed for 1.8 hours.

Of course it may be possible to get Fiat parts cheaper, I can only go on what I was charged by the dealer. :)

The serving interval question is an old chestnut. The manual does indeed say every two years or 48,000 Km but it also says (or at least mine does) if a light comes on telling you to change the oil then do so and if the vehicle is driven mainly in towns then the oil and filter should be changed every 12 months.

However, these servicing schedules are written around typical white van use where low maintenance costs are important. Imagine you are fleet buyer and there are two makes of van you can buy, both similar in price but one needs servicing every year the other every two years. No guesses for which one you are going to buy and then after five or at most seven years the vehicle is effectively thrown away having perhaps done 200,000 miles or thereabouts.

A MH is used differently, standing still for long periods and often "pottering" and generally will have a much longer life than 5 or 7 years or at least most owners would hope so even if they don't keep it that long themselves. Engine oil is also hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb moisture which shouldn't be a problem with lots of white van usage as the water will be driven off, but if for example you store you MH over winter how much moisture does the oil absorb and how much of it will be driven off if you only do a few thousand miles a year?

So make your own choice. I follow the advice of folk like Honest John in the Telegraph who is always telling owners of cars like Audi to ignore their ridiculous servicing intervals and get the oil changed more frequently.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Thanks.
In my Fiat manual in the section on "Servicing and Maintenance" it says on page 226:

'Change engine oil and replace oil filter (**) (#):

**The actual interval for changing the oil and replacing the engine oil filter depends on the vehicle usage conditions and is signalled by the warning light or message (if applicable) in the instrument panel ... or every 24 months.

(#) If the vehicle is driven mainly in towns, change engine oil and oil filter every 12 months.

This work must be carried out at a maximum of 30,000 miles, or 24 months, whichever is reached first.

As for the (#) bit, this is meant IMV for white van man who does lots of stop start driving so the vehicle never 'clears its pipes' etc, something that rarely happens with a motorhome/camper.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
A friend of mine who admits he goes well over the top changes oil 6-monthly. (I suppose he goes well under the van, not over the top!)

It doesn't do any harm and yet keeps him happy. Ex-army, of course.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ex-army, of course.
My background too but overservicing has long been a problem in the army! However, usage patterns are similar, stationary for months then used for several weeks then parked up again.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Finally retrieved the invoice from the full service last week!

Labour £45 x3 +VAT............£225.00
Air filter £20.83 +VAT..........£20.83
Fuel filter £75.04 +VAT........£75.04
Oil engine £8.33 x7 +VAT....£58.31
sundries.............................£5.00

TOTAL..............................£461.02

It's 2.5 years old and only covered 8,000 miles. I had a low mileage service at about 3,500 miles when it went in for a warranty replacement starter motor. Hardly used it in 2014 on legal advice due to wrangling with dealer on water ingress, sorted by Swift in the end.
I know I could have got away with another low mileage service or left the full service for much later but I'm afraid that's me!
This place services and repairs some really big beasties but don't do warranty work. I was very happy and would recommend/use them again.

Reactions: DBK

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Finally retrieved the invoice from the full service last week!

Labour £45 x3 +VAT............£225.00
Air filter £20.83 +VAT..........£20.83
Fuel filter £75.04 +VAT........£75.04
Oil engine £8.33 x7 +VAT....£58.31
sundries.............................£5.00

TOTAL..............................£461.02

It's 2.5 years old and only covered 8,000 miles. I had a low mileage service at about 3,500 miles when it went in for a warranty replacement starter motor. Hardly used it in 2014 on legal advice due to wrangling with dealer on water ingress, sorted by Swift in the end.
I know I could have got away with another low mileage service or left the full service for much later but I'm afraid that's me!
This place services and repairs some really big beasties but don't do warranty work. I was very happy and would recommend/use them again.
That labour is wrong 3x45+vat £162.00

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You have been stitched up, at that mileage they should not have replaced either the fuel filter or the air filter. My local independent charges £20 +VAT for fully synthetic oil, that's where I will be taking mine for it's first service it will be out of warranty anyway.

Also £45 x 3 + VAT is not £225 it is £162.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
You have been stitched up, at that mileage they should not have replaced either the fuel filter or the air filter. My local independent charges £20 +VAT for fully synthetic oil, that's where I will be taking mine for it's first service it will be out of warranty anyway.

Also £45 x 3 + VAT is not £225 it is £162.

No I haven't been stitched up!
I asked for a full service and got one. Don't bother to reply.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Mack100
Thanks for the info.(y)

My only thought is three hours seems a long time for that work. My friendly local mechanic carried out the same service on my last M/H in under two hours.

Can't use him for this service on the new, warrantied, M/H as must be VAT Reg Garage, I believe.

Not intended as a criticism of your invoice but hoping "someone in the know" can comment on how long such a service should reasonably take.(n)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Jesus! 3 hours to do an oil change and change the air filter. Someone is taking the piss! Also, £5.00 sundries ? Is that for topping up the windscreen wash LOL
You have been had I fear!

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
The moral of this thread is
Don't use a main agent -nope
Don't over service it -nope
Its...
Don't bother finding the invoice.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Mine was about 3 hours I think but that included a brake oil change, the MOT was done off site at £59 (included in the £354) so it would be interesting to know what extra you get for a full service being it is £200 more!
Have you made or mistake or was that the amount on the bill?

Maximum for Motorhome, even a huge RV is £54.85 as they are all Class 4.
No VAT on MOT tests.
HOWEVER, it can be involved if your garage takes elsewhere though, although (as I understand) the MOT is done at trade price, say £40, but your garage has to charge VAT on their profit, being the difference between £40 and their mark-up for the service.

Last edited:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
How on earth does Labour £45 x 3 + Vat add up to £225.00 ?

Try looking at post 22 where I say
"Me dumkopf! Should read 3x75 +VAT =£225.00"

there, easy wasn't it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back