Applecross & Western Highlands (1 Viewer)

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
I am proposing to tour the Applecross area and further North at the end of August and I wondered if anybody has been up that way this year. If so is it very busy following from the "Monty" programmes on TV this Spring ?. If it is busy would I be better going elsewhere for better site availability and quieter roads this year ?.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Was up round that area around middle of may, there were more vans and people about but did not have any particular problems.
Scotland in general seemed to have more motorhomes and caravans about but did not stop us doing as we wanted.
We normally go to Scotland every year, for 6 weeks at a time,I don't think it should spoil your plans. it did'nt spoil ours. We intend going again end of Sept

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We were up there in the first half of May for a few days. When we arrived at Applecross, after driving the magnificent pass from Tornapress, we were lucky to squeeze in on the end of the main field. It was very muddy and I'm surprised that nobody got bogged down; though there were some parts of the field were in a terrible state. The barlord at the pub said there was standing room only in the bar the previous day.
A few people left soon after we arrived (was it something I'd eaten?::bigsmile:) and there was loads of space by the middle of the following day. The site owner is hoping to put more hard standings in soon and also to upgrade the EHU from 6 amp (he may have done this by now).

Of course, now it's school hols it could well be heaving.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Went up there the first week of May. Apart from the bank-holiday weekend, it was not particularly busy (but it was particularly wet!). Did not go to Applecross - we were up around Scourie, but then came down to Locharron. The busiest area was Speyside over the bank-holiday.

Philip

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Free parking

Just back from a week in Scotland, not the Highlands, but in my home county of Refrewshire which for the most part is untouched by tourism, most are in too big a hurry to get to the North and by pass it .. but .. while there I was keeping an eye open for free parking..

Found a really great spot at Baloch, Loch Lomond ( went for a day trip) large car park designed for cars with boat trailers, right on the water with a sandy beach, a couple of vans were there.. toilets and fresh water.. plenty of room for RVs to park and manoeuvre . The Maid of the Loch Paddle steamer is moored here. Free slipway.
GPS 56.008229,-4.590969

In Lochwinnoch, my home village, a large car park by Muirsheil Country park whch is in the Refrewshire hills.. a desolate and beautiful location, .. not suitable for large MH. single track road ( 3 miles) with passing places.
I could see no signs that banned overnighting, two vans parked who had obviously been there all night.. but I would advise to ask a Ranger if it was ok.
GPS 55.849171,-4.743104

Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park

Largs, Ayshire coast, a fairly large free car park in the town centre which had one overnighter, and was there for a couple of days.. not suitable for large MH . Gets busy during the day but empty at night.
GPS 55.794591,-4.866547

Largs Online.co.uk - Official Website of Largs & Millport Tourist Bureau, for Largs, Ayrshire, Scotland - Tourism and Community - Things to do, places to stay, and lots more !

hth

Jim

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We were up there in the first half of May for a few days. When we arrived at Applecross, after driving the magnificent pass from Tornapress, we were lucky to squeeze in on the end of the main field. It was very muddy and I'm surprised that nobody got bogged down; though there were some parts of the field were in a terrible state. The barlord at the pub said there was standing room only in the bar the previous day.

Hi JayDee,

We have just bought a new pup so cant go to Spain for the Autumn as we had planned, so we have decided to go to Scotland and the area you describe sounds wonderful, could you tell me where you parked, was it a recognised site or wild camping.

Can anyone else recommend areas to visit in Scotland, we have never ventured further than Keilder Water and the midges nearly ate us alive!

Ginny

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Can anyone else recommend areas to visit in Scotland, we have never ventured further than Keilder Water and the midges nearly ate us alive!

Ginny

The Dumfriess and Galloway coast is v fine, much of the border country to the east is too. Argyll is almost entirely magnificent. The Trossachs (just north of the Glasgow - Edinburgh line) is very attractive. Loch Lomond is splendid, Rannoch Moor is impressively bleak, Glencoe is magnificent, the Great Glen is compulsory and almost everything north thereof (and esp to the west) drops into categories such as awesome and essential. And don't forget the islands.

Less talk, more travel.

Go, go, go.

But pack a bottle or two of Avon's Skin So Soft.

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
The Dumfriess and Galloway coast is v fine, much of the border country to the east is too. Argyll is almost entirely magnificent. The Trossachs (just north of the Glasgow - Edinburgh line) is very attractive. Loch Lomond is splendid, Rannoch Moor is impressively bleak, Glencoe is magnificent, the Great Glen is compulsory and almost everything north thereof (and esp to the west) drops into categories such as awesome and essential. And don't forget the islands.

Less talk, more travel.

Go, go, go.

But pack a bottle or two of Avon's Skin So Soft.

In full agrement most of it can only be described as :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: WOW!!!!

Dave:thumb::thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Senior moment hit button twice,

Just the thought of it

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I am proposing to tour the Applecross area and further North at the end of August and I wondered if anybody has been up that way this year. If so is it very busy following from the "Monty" programmes on TV this Spring ?. If it is busy would I be better going elsewhere for better site availability and quieter roads this year ?.

At end of August most Scottish school children will be back at school, so may be quieter :thumb:

If going to Applecross also try Sheildaig with it's open camping area ( just leave a donation in their box). Magnificent views over Loch Sheildeg & Torridon.
Achmelvich, just up from Lochinver has some magnificent White sandy beaches worth seeing.
In the middle of the Highlands is Altnaharra with a CC site right on the banks of Loch Naver

If midges worry you go HERE to check the midge forecast.

When travelling North remember Cressfield Caravan park at Ecclefechan. This is where we live just 10 miles North of the border. Call in to see us, a warm welcome awaits anyone who knocks on our door (when we are at home & not travelling).

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

Hi JayDee,

We have just bought a new pup so cant go to Spain for the Autumn as we had planned, so we have decided to go to Scotland and the area you describe sounds wonderful, could you tell me where you parked, was it a recognised site or wild camping.

Ginny

We only stayed on recognised sites, including the one at Applecross...

Before Applecross we stayed for a week on Skye - also a huge WOW factor. There we stayed at Dunvegan (right on the loch side - a bird fanciers paradise), Staffin, run by a very nice couple (guided walks with the warden £7.00 a head - he took us to the Quirang; double WOW) and Torveig just north of Portree (which is a very pretty little town with a good selection of shops, etc.). There is a camp site at Glenbrittle which is in a terrific location, though perhaps a bit open to the weather. There are others but the first three mentioned here are where we stayed.
After Applecross we continued north stopping at various places including Ullapool. We spent an afternoon visiting the Inverewe Gardens at Poolewe. Another place to visit - the Falls of Measach (A835 about 12 miles S of Ullapool). We also stayed at Kinlochewe CC site which is surrounded by some excellent walking. The furthest north we reached was Scourie which has a site overlooking the bay - a tad cramped but what a view. Inverness is quite an interesting city; we stayed at a site about a mile south of the city centre, next to the canal.

Other than Skye we didn't visit any of the islands - another time I imagine. What we saw (between the raindrops) was spectacular.

Avon Skin So Soft seems to be readily available in most of the Outdoor shops and camp site receptions/shops. We didn't need it in May (luckily)

Wherever you go, enjoy it.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Supertractorman

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Visited Applecross last weekend and the campsite was busy with all electric points taken, but the area around them was very wet mud in many parts. We ended up parking opposite that area on very firm ground. Spoke to some folks next day and they said that they were on electrics which were only 5 amp and their heating tripped it out very easily. Had a bit of noise on the Saturday night with a group returning from the pub and having a singsong with a guitar till very late, what made it worse was someone else shouting " Will you shut the F... up " on regular intervals :shout:
Not enough toilets and showers for the numbers there, so they were not as good as we had hoped for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back