"Just become a reluctant solo motorhomer" (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Just become a reluctant solo motorhomer, following the death of my dear wife on the 26th Jan.
Eileen loved the motorhome lifestyle and we both love touring France Spain and Italy for the last 10 or so years.
Not sure about going along, so if any funsters can help with some positive advice I would be grateful.
I’m not a nervous person but at this point I’m still unsure if I want to do it along and sell up, on the other hand I could set off tomorrow or as soon as the van is full.
My main concern I suppose is when traveling in Europe how do you manage when you can to uneven junction how to see back down the road you wish to join and being sat on the right hand side not wishing to pull out into on coming traffic you are unable to see on you’re left if you see what I mean.
So if anyone can advise how this can be achieved safely I would be grateful.

Regards
Ray

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Sorry to hear your sad news, it is something we will all face at some time in our lives and each of us will deal with it in different ways. I don't know about time being a great healer but it does put things into perspective eventually and help in deciding how you move on with life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ray, I can't help with any of your questions - you know there will be lots of people on here who can - but I wanted to offer my heartfelt sympathies and to encourage you to do as you're thinking, and carry on doing the things that Eileen and you loved. There will be many people you can travel with, or go it alone, and you'll soon find if this is the right thing for you.
Wishing you all the best and happy memories of your travels with Eileen.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Very sorry to hear about the death of your wife but she would have wanted you to keep travelling I am sure.

To answer your specific question you are in no different a position to a million white van drivers! The trick is to turn the vehicle so you are at a right angle to the road you are joining, even when turning right. You can then see out of the passenger window.

If it still troubles you contact a local HGV training school and ask for an hour or so of tuition on this specific skill.

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I face your problem driving a LHD solo in the UK. It is a matter of making sure you position your vehicle so that you can see clearly. I know some junctions can be awkward but setting your mirrors correctly or even fitting an extra one for a different view could be a solution. I have two mirrors on each side.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
So sorry to read of your very sad lose. With regarding your vision down the road what about adjusting our off side door mirror if its electric.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sorry to hear of your sad loss Ray, there is an active singles forum on Fun that you could have a look at as your not alone.
Your question has been answered very well in the posts above, all top info for you. Mirrors, position, experience, and mind how you go.
Good luck. (y)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Please accept my sincere condolences. So sorry to hear your sad news.

I travel alone most of the time and have found other motorhomers irrespective of nationality always willing to chat and offer advice/tips when needed etc. I very rarely feel alone.

I ordered a small reversing camera which I was going to mount below the wing mirror at an acute angle to the road which hopefully would allow me to see at those awkward junctions. Unfortunately it was faulty and had to be returned. So I'm currently trying to determine which is the best way to overcome this difficulty. I'll let you know when I come up with a solution. But, if you get there first please let me know.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your dear wife. Try and join a singles group to go travelling with. Join the Motorhomefun group and go to their Meets.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Just our sincere sympathy.
Jan & mike.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Sorry for your loss, but don't part with the van just yet.
There are a lot of solos who regularly attend the shows and camp with fun, book a few and see how you get on.
Some don't need prepping, Thetford meet for example.
It will be a huge change for you, but just give it time.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
So sorry for your loss. I do know how it feels.

And to help with extra vision, I had a window put in the sliding door in my Transit conversion.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Ray, what a shock to read your post; unexpected to say the least. Who am I to give 'advice' at such an awful and sad time?

I would say, take it in small chunks. Don't worry about foreign road junctions right now. You will need time to grieve; to deal with lots of other practicalities. However, I wouldn't sell up at the moment. It may be that the Motorhome and lifestyle that you enjoyed so much will be your conduit to keeping occupied. Not keeping occupied is an enemy and leaves too much time for thought and the spiral of sadness.

One thing's for sure, you've always got friends whilst there's MHF and Funsters. We have never met, but if we do, there's always a cuppa and a chat available.

God bless Ray
James & Sue

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Hi Ray - sorry to hear about your sad loss, and hope that time proves to be a healer.

I drive am a solo driver an american RV (my first ever motor homing experience) and drove round the uk for a couple of years before crossing the channel. So you will probably find things easier than I did. There are times when seeing traffic coming from the opposite side are difficult. I use a combination of pulling more at right angles to the road, or more obliquely so I can see in the mirrors.

On occasions nothing seems to work and you just have to pull out (very slowly) and hope for the best. Sometimes I get loud blasts on the horns which un-nerves me but it can be done.

Good luck - do whatever makes you feel happiest.

I have no regrets about selling everything and taking to the roads and have been travelling now since the tail end of 2013. :)

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry to hear about your loss.
If I was you I would keep your motorhome as its a way of meeting people and getting you out and about.
Sadly life moves on,and I hope you can too!
Good luck with what ever you choose to do!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Ray Im so sorry for your loss, I hope you can carry on with your travels, hopefully you can find a way of coping, good luck.

I would get used to travelling alone in this country first before you venture abroad to get your confidence, Im sure there must be a mirror out there that will help with the left hand blind spot. A singles forum might be the place to ask first Im sure someone will be able to advise.

Last edited:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
So sorry to hear your sad news.dont make any immediate decisions,take your time and use your Motorhome as a means too help you cope with your situation.good luck for the future.there is always loads of help and support on MHF.
Brian & Jo

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm sorry to hear about your situation Ray.

Would she have wanted you to keep on travelling or to stay at home feeling miserable, missing the chance to explore new places? My missus is under strict instructions to carry on with it should I be the first to go. A horrible time for you, but you'll find a way - people do.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Lost my wife four years ago after 45yrs marriage.tore me apart ,but by keeping the van I made a new life for me and its now my best friend that takes me everywhere,helps me meet likeminded people. So keep your van an enjoy it...i miss my wife very much still but it would have been so very much harder without my van. ...Roy.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Ray, I don't know how you are coping what I do know is when I met Roy @Khizzie down in Yeovilton he had been joined by his son and if you read his words above then he will know better than most how to cope in such a situation.

I have made so many good friends on Fun, if I were unfortunate enough to lose my wife whilst still being fit enough to drive I'd like to think the last thing I'd want to do is lose those friends as well.

Thoughts are with you Ray, keep yer pecker up old mate.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Hydrochloride, I'm sorry too for your loss, but as regards driving,I am a solo mhome too and I was frightened to death about driving on the wrong side of the road in a right hand drive !, but as I'm sure your aware with your experience the roads here and I can only vouch for Spain are fantastic plenty of room on slip roads etc,loads of space to see oncoming traffic just get in the van and go for it!, sitting about wondering won't help you!, and I'm sure there will be someone looking out for you mate!, either in this world or the next!, good luck in your next adventure wherever you decide to go!, and if our paths cross ever, I will buy you a drink and we can talk utter rubbish for ages and put the world to rights ,, Ian xx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
My thoughts are with you at this very sad time. You will have many things to do at the moment but in the future your motorhome or a smaller one if you decide to downsize will become a joy to you again .As Khizzie says earlier his van has become his friend and he has new and different adventures.whatever and whenever you decide to do this forum will be there with help , fun , and always an ear to bend if you need it .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ray sorry for your loss - I was in a similar position 2 yrs ago jan 30th --I got out and went to a meet after a couple of months and never looked back (y) Everyone made me feel welcome and it was prob the best thing that could have happened for me :)
As some have already said pull up square to junctions so you can see both ways(y) It may seem strange at first ( you should have been doing all the time :D) you soon get used to swinging the van up to the lines -Good luck and do what you feel is right for you (y) not what you think others may want you to do :)
terry

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Ray, I can't help with any of your questions - you know there will be lots of people on here who can - but I wanted to offer my heartfelt sympathies and to encourage you to do as you're thinking, and carry on doing the things that Eileen and you loved. There will be many people you can travel with, or go it alone, and you'll soon find if this is the right thing for you.
Wishing you all the best and happy memories of your travels with Eileen.

The above says my thoughts exactly..

Having the courage to post by the OP says to me that courage is in place and I sincerely hope this courage will help him though the difficult times not only now but ahead.

My very best wishes and I really do hope you can continue !

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
good luck whatever you decide to do.... Just don't rush, take your time, adjust and then do what your wife would of wanted you to do. if it's right you will know it's right, if its wrong you will know that too.
As for the driving? thats what insurance is for :)

?

Deleted User
So sorry for your loss. I do know how it feels.

And to help with extra vision, I had a window put in the sliding door in my Transit conversion.
Kind of what i was going to say but i dont think he can see past the cab if that is his van in the avatar. I was thinking extra mirror hanging down from the side mirror. May be annoying driving at night though.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Sorry to hear of your loss. Do what your heart tells you , but don't rush into anything. Give yourself time and you will make the right decision. Best wishes for whatever you do .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back