Malden Council order fulltiming couple to move . (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A COUPLE who have been ordered to move their motorhome say they are being hounded unnecessarily due to planning laws.

Neville Saveall, 70, and Jean Gossage, 50, are parked on a friend's farm off Manor Road in Southminster, but have been ordered to move by Maldon District Council.

Mr Saveall said: "I've known these people for 30 years and they're good friends and they're doing us a huge favour. They're more than happy for us to stay."

But the council is unhappy that the couple are living on the land without planning permission and have stated that if they do not vacate the property by the end of today (Thursday), they will be served an enforcement notice and forced to leave within 28 days.

Read more: Broken Link Removed

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yes Jim, I have seen this happen before, You cannot under planning laws have "residence". You CAN under certain circumstances use it as a "bedroom". As long as the means to cook is elsewhere. (Sounds daft?). What they have to do is move off the site for 24hours periodically, once they return the clock starts ticking again. That is my understanding?.

A landowner who needs Help, can I understand have such a "home", if he can prove it is essential for the continuation of work, a bit like a tied cottage?, so he has to become the "employer". A whole other "can o worms".

Many years back, 1980`s, I was between homes. And lived in my caravan for over 6 months. The deal was I stayed at one place for a Month, Then moved into the next field (owned by the first woman's brother) for the next Month, and then Back. That kept the L-A happy. P.s. after the first month it became a "paper exercise" but who knows?

Pete

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@PeteH ..when fulltime and staying on a friends site, we also had a 'run in' with the council, they send a Council Tax demand.. I contested and it was dropped.. but it did go as far as me being summoned to court for non-payment.. soon afterwards we moved into a rented house..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The restriction they are up against in staying on their friend's property is the maximum of 28 days in any 12 month period. A quick search on UK campsite reveals three sites in the Maldon area open all year so they hardly have nowhere to go.

Interesting that the gentleman describes them as "two old-aged pensioners" when his partner is apparently only 50. I suspect that is not the only inaccuracy in his account :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Interesting that the gentleman describes them as "two old-aged pensioners" when his partner is apparently only 50. I suspect that is not the only inaccuracy in his account :)

I believe that some, especially with disabilities, can access pensions (that) early, they are exceptional I know. But that would "technically" make a 50yr old a "pensioner" If not a "Old Age" One!!. A bit of journalistic licence me-thinks?.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I believe that some, especially with disabilities, can access pensions (that) early, they are exceptional I know. But that would "technically" make a 50yr old a "pensioner" If not a "Old Age" One!!. A bit of journalistic licence me-thinks?.

Pete
I've never heard of that Pete :) I still reckon it's more complainant inaccuracy than journalistic licence :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I'M A YAP... :)

Young aged pensioner... Soon took my private one as soon as i was 50 !!
Roll on 67 for the next one...

Ref original point of the post.... sorry cant help... rules is rules i guess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Someone as obviously complained to the Council, this happened to us some years ago whilst staying on Red Lion Farm site near Stafford, owning a large 39ft RV made us an easy target, as there were others who had been there longer than us but in caravans :mad:, the Council official dealing told us they only act on complaints made.

Some Councils don't appear to care whereas others ????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back