I won't be using LYCA Mobile again..... (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I bought a GPS tracker a couple of years ago with a recommended Lebara sim card in it. I was told that the sim card would not expire as long as there was credit on it. However, it did expire, but, Lebara sent me a new sim and transferred the balance. I just had to either top up or use the card every 90 days or so.
No problem.
Then, the company I bought the tracker from recommended a new sim card supplier, Lyca, who would supply a simcard that didn't expire as long as it had credit on it ( I should have seen this coming....)
Anyway, I just found out the Lyca sim has expired.
So, I spoke to Lyca customer service and explained what had happened. Apparently, because I hadn't used the sim for 4 months, it has been recycled and the balance ( over £15) has expired ( acquired by Lyca!)
The customer service agent I spoke to was quite rude, quoting T's and C's, that weren't in force when I bought my simcard, anyway, the upshot is, I need a new sim card, preferably one that doesnt expire, and definitely NOT from Lyca. I shall be keeping well away from them.
Any suggestions?
Allan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Three PAYG sims don't expire proving you make or receive one call in six months and you would be dealing with a known quantity.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I'm sure this happens with all mobile companies, don't use it and it will expire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I'm sure this happens with all mobile companies, don't use it and it will expire.
I was told Lyca sims didn't expire as long as there was credit on them, but, I guess thats either not true or they changed how it works.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I was told Lyca sims didn't expire as long as there was credit on them, but, I guess thats either not true or they changed how it works.
I think most networks think you're going to make at least one phone call in a month.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have Lyca sim in our alarm - Vanbitz were sure to mention that I needed to use the sim once a month or it would expire
I've set up a reminder on my phone just in case

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
From 3 terms and conditions
"For non-use or non-payment of Three Services. We may
Disconnect you if you have not topped up your account with a
Pay As You Go Voucher or undertaken any chargeable events
or activities (for example, made telephone calls, sent text or
photo messages, accessed content or the internet or any other
Three Services for which a charge is made"

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've got an old Tesco paygo in a backup mobile - last used 15-18months ago. Charged it, fired it up... credit still there

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I have a similar 02 payg mobile. Not been turned on, let alone used since May 2014. I charged it up and turned it on last week, I still have 97p credit! Maybe an 02 sim is the way to go. I think GiffGaff are 02 and they do a 2G sim.
I saw one on eBay today, might have another look.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Apparently, I need a 2G sim. Do you know if 3 sims are 2G compatible?
GIFFGAFF sim works well, but you do need a 2G version.....I got mine on eBay....99p
The credit does not expire but you need one call/text per 6 months to keep it active.
Texts cost 6p

I have the same tracker (probably (rewiregps nano 102)) and also used the provided LYCA sim....until I realised each text command confirmation was costing 19p.....I used most of the first £5 credit just setting up the tracker and altering various settings.

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Surely a cheap free view system with Astra on it would suffice only need to pick up free to air channels, and a decent tv/dvd combo £130.00, new.how many soaps do you need to watch?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Surely a cheap free view system with Astra on it would suffice only need to pick up free to air channels, and a decent tv/dvd combo £130.00, new.how many soaps do you need to watch?
Wrong thread methinks.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
GIFFGAFF sim works well, but you do need a 2G version.....I got mine on eBay....99p
The credit does not expire but you need one call/text per 6 months to keep it active.
Texts cost 6p

I have the same tracker (probably (rewiregps nano 102)) and also used the provided LYCA sim....until I realised each text command confirmation was costing 19p.....I used most of the first £5 credit just setting up the tracker and altering various settings.
Looks like I just ordered the same, if you top up £10 you get £5 free.
I also ordered the correct Lebara sim ( I have 2 TK102 trackers). The Lebara sim will do Internet tracking 24/7 for £5 a month, apparently.
I might set one up for 24/7 Internet tracking and the other one for on demand tracking. I just need to remember where I hid them in the van to change the SIM cards!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Lebara sim will do Internet tracking 24/7 for £5 a month, apparently.
The giffgaff payg sim also allows real-time internet tracking using google maps.
I tested both GPS GEOFENCE and 2G blockade modes when I first setine up.
I went for a drive round and followed progress on my phone screen.
Because of the very small amount of data needed for GPS a £10 top up should last at least a year.

If the vehicle moves outside a predetermined area it will send you a text alert, then you can turn on GPS tracking to follow in real time.
No need for 24/7 GPS.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back