Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
A good article thanks. It's maybe worth mentioning that the powers that be are installing weigh beams all over the UK (and Europe) that weigh your axles as you pass over them. I'm told they are very accurate and come into effect this year. The first you will no about it is when you get the fine through the post.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It isn't likely that you will simply receive a ticket - they will stop you down the road and make you unload before letting you go. With a ticket of course.

http://www.transportsfriend.org/enforcement/wims.html

I think that SV Tech did a FOI request for locations but were declined.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A good article thanks. It's maybe worth mentioning that the powers that be are installing weigh beams all over the UK (and Europe) that weigh your axles as you pass over them. I'm told they are very accurate and come into effect this year. The first you will no about it is when you get the fine through the post.
How does that work then ?

How does it differentiate between a van and a motorhome.
How does it recognise a tag axle and know the weight allowance for each or either axle ?

If its via VNPR then DVSA records will only show the gross vehicle weight, if any weights at all....not individual axle weights.

Unworkable iny opinion.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

How does it recognise a tag axle and know the weight allowance for each or either axle ?

If its via VNPR then DVSA records will only show the gross vehicle weight, if any weights at all....not individual axle weights.

Unworkable iny opinion.
Apparently it works very well. It is an indicator to flag up a vehicle to be stopped (pulled in at a services checkpoint) and weighed. It does weigh individual axles apparently and used for HGV vehicles. Very clever technology and the principle is well proven in manufacturing. Have a look at my link above; there are others as well

Deleted User

Unworkable iny opinion.

Why does it need to differentiate, an axle weight is an axle weight whether a van or motorhome or anything else.

Automatic number plate recognition cameras at each location will have access to the relevant axle weight limits.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why does it need to differentiate, an axle weight is an axle weight whether a van or motorhome or anything else.

Automatic number plate recognition cameras at each location will have access to the relevant axle weight limits.
Agreed.
But my thoughts at first glance were, we know an axle can be massively overloaded but the gross weight isnt neccessarily exceeded.

Deleted User
These things have been around for a while and they do measure axle weights but as far as I am aware they are not yet accurate enough to enable prosecutions.

As has been said they are used to flag up potential overloads who are then pulled onto a weighbridge, the locations will be near to DVSA weighbridges such as the one near to Stafford.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Here is an article on Motorhome Payload Calculation, hope some of you find it useful (y)
Excellent. Is it worth mentioning that a trailer noseweight is/can be substantial and will have the same effect on axle and overall van loading as hanging anything else on the rear? With a Smartie on a trailer for example it will be 70Kg+. I've not seen it mentioned in any discussion about MH loading.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
These things have been around for a while and they do measure axle weights but as far as I am aware they are not yet accurate enough to enable prosecutions.

As has been said they are used to flag up potential overloads who are then pulled onto a weighbridge, the locations will be near to DVSA weighbridges such as the one near to Stafford.
Got pulled into South Mimms to be weighed where they set up a DVSA checkpoint - mainly because they were bored, I think. Well under, all round on the weigh pads.

@pappajohn I think that it is the individual axle weights that are their main concern - with HGV's of course. Often foreign registered ones.

The police and DVSA around here have had several campaigns going on vehicle weights and other defects; nice to see something useful being done to get dangerous vehicles off the road

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
A VOSA guy told me that these new weigh beams are accurate to within 20kg at 60 mph. They are still testing them but after, I think he said July, they will not be stopping you, you will get a fine and points in the post. It's not just hgv's, it's ALL vehicles including all trailers...

The ones near me (as I understand it) are A23 near Bolney, M25 near Clacket Lane services, A27 near Fareham and A27 near Worthing. But remember, this is all hearsay....

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A VOSA guy told me that these new weigh beams are accurate to within 20kg at 60 mph. They are still testing them but after, I think he said July, they will not be stopping you, you will get a fine and points in the post. It's not just hgv's, it's ALL vehicles including all trailers...

The ones near me (as I understand it) are A23 near Bolney, M25 near Clacket Lane services, A27 near Fareham and A27 near Worthing. But remember, this is all hearsay....
That is very interesting and clearly things have moved on a bit. It does concern a little bit that the DVSA will clock a vehicle as being overloaded and potentially dangerous, then knowingly allow that vehicle to continue that journey with possible fatal consequences for people. Would not like to see that one go to court with a decent barrister pursuing compensation........

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
I was told it's not just here either. The same system is being installed all over Europe.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As posted by @pappajohn , I was not aware that DVSA had records of motorhome axle weights . The V5C only shows gvw . Presumably something for the future.

Deleted User
As posted by @pappajohn , I was not aware that DVSA had records of motorhome axle weights . The V5C only shows gvw . Presumably something for the future.

Not too difficult in this age of instantaneous information transfer,reg number....... V5.......VIN........axle weights.......

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Oh no.. Every vehicle on the road has a weight plate, even your average family car and they have all the details. Some of it is in your Log book but they have ALL the details including individual axle weights and towing weights. And remember, it's not the overall weight that matters, it's the axle weights. 50kg over on any axle = BIG fine.

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Just to add, watch out with quoted payloads too. For example, my 'van is a Hymer rated at 4500kg total. At the end of my last trip I visited a weigh bridge. Rear axle 20kg overloaded, front axle 435kg under! So you could say that's 415kgs I can't use!!!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Here is an article on Motorhome Payload Calculation, hope some of you find it useful (y)
Interesting one Jim and thanks for the link. However one question. In the photo showing the plates there appears to be three plates. I guess one from Fiat one for the Alko chassis and one from the converter (Frankia). I always understood it the last one put on, i.e. the one from the converter, that was the correct one, but you have used the Alko one. Have I been misinformed?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just to add, watch out with quoted payloads too. For example, my 'van is a Hymer rated at 4500kg total. At the end of my last trip I visited a weigh bridge. Rear axle 20kg overloaded, front axle 435kg under! So you could say that's 415kgs I can't use!!!
Yes - weight distribution and regular weighbridge trips a very good idea. They sold my van on 3500, upgraded to 3650. Further upgrade to 3850 just about sees us comfortable - but we have to be careful if bikes on the back

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
MIRO Mass in Running Order The MIRO is the weight of your motorhome as it left the manufacturer and is calculated to include a full tank of fuel and an average driver weight of 75kg, and before any other contents are added.

However this has or is changing.

CHANGES TO MIRO (Mass in Running Order)

The European Standards Committee has withdrawn the European Standards for Touring Caravan Payload and Motorhome Payload because they are overridden by the European Directive for the Masses and Dimensions for Vehicles anyway. That directive is what allows the manufacturer to specify the travelling capacity of the tanks (i.e. empty, half full, etc), which allows them to choose not to include water in the MIRO. As a side note, the directive already applied to any motorhome which has been European Whole Vehicle Type Approved.

This needs to be taken into account when considering a motorhome's payload. For example, if a motorhome's MIRO does not include holding any water in the tanks and the tanks can hold 100L of water, then full water tanks will reduce the motorhome's payload by 100kg. No small matter!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Oh no.. Every vehicle on the road has a weight plate, even your average family car and they have all the details. Some of it is in your Log book but they have ALL the details including individual axle weights and towing weights. And remember, it's not the overall weight that matters, it's the axle weights. 50kg over on any axle = BIG fine.

How do you work that out when a WIM has a +/- of 150kgs & a stationary 50kgs

here is fixed penalties

GRADUATION OF FIXED PENALTY NOTICES
£100 FP -- 5% to 10% or over 1 tonne on axle, gross or train if less than 5%
£200 FP -- Over 10% and up to 15%
£300 FP -- Over 15% and up to 30%
Prosecute over 30% or over 5 tonnes on axle, gross or train if under 30%

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
How do you work that out when a WIM has a +/- of 150kgs & a stationary 50kgs

here is fixed penalties

GRADUATION OF FIXED PENALTY NOTICES
£100 FP -- 5% to 10% or over 1 tonne on axle, gross or train if less than 5%
£200 FP -- Over 10% and up to 15%
£300 FP -- Over 15% and up to 30%
Prosecute over 30% or over 5 tonnes on axle, gross or train if under 30%

Yes all correct at the moment but I'm talking about what's around the corner. According to the VOSA guy I chatted too, they are now just waiting for changes in the law to bring things up to date to meet with new tech. They are saying the +\- will be 20kgs and, as modern equipment is far more accurate, the penalties will be higher. Don't take this as gospel as its only hearsay from a VOSA inspector, but it does all make sense. It seems we are being dragged into line with the rest of Europe again!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
This is all very well and good.........where can the average Joe Motorhomer check his weights in this day and age.

Access to weigh bridges is becoming more an more of a problem as all of the public ones that i know of are now closed/gone.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is all very well and good.........where can the average Joe Motorhomer check his weights in this day and age.

Access to weigh bridges is becoming more an more of a problem as all of the public ones that i know of are now closed/gone.
Try contacting the council etc to see where they are, if you have any docks near you the chances are that they'll have one you can use, probably for free.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Try contacting the council etc to see where they are, if you have any docks near you the chances are that they'll have one you can use, probably for free.
Local council website shows none.

Will have a look at docks but there is usually security barriers to overcome first.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Local council website shows none.

Will have a look at docks but there is usually security barriers to overcome first.
Our local docks have security barriers but we just ask if we can use the weighbridge and are let through to do so - it's just on the other side of the barrier.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013

Whereabouts are you looking for one? - if you give a location, somebody might know of one near to you.

Or try this (not sure how helpful it is for Scotland?)
https://www.gov.uk/find-weighbridge

I listed the contact for the Far Soth-West (England) here

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Whereabouts are you looking for one? - if you give a location, somebody might know of one near to you.

Or try this (not sure how helpful it is for Scotland?)
https://www.gov.uk/find-weighbridge

I listed the contact for the Far Soth-West (England) here
Thanks @CWH , the link you posted directs me to my local council.
If anyone knows of an accessible weighbridge in the Glasgow area it would be great.

Also any in the Yorkshire or Cumbria area as we tour there regularly.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks @CWH , the link you posted directs me to my local council.
If anyone knows of an accessible weighbridge in the Glasgow area it would be great.

Also any in the Yorkshire or Cumbria area as we tour there regularly.
Here you go, non-council sites (you'd obviously need to phone to check the info is up-to-date and what cost if any):
https://chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pageweighbridge/weighbridges14.htm

The only way I found of moving between pages is to change the number just before the ".htm" in the searchbox address. So while Glasgow is on page 14, Yorkshire is pages 11, 12 & 13; Cumbria is page 2.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back