Had your iPhone 6 repaired? Be careful it could be worthless (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hadn't seen that one but it's always been the case that you can forget any warranty support if you use anyone other than Apple for a repair. I'm not really sure why you would want to though - Apple aren't expensive for repairs and 9 times out of 10 they find a reason to replace the device for no additional charge anyway. I had a new screen in mine recently, Apple were actually a couple of quid cheaper than I could even buy a replacement for to fit myself and I walked out with a brand new phone.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't question the practice of Apple?

Dick

Not really in this case. They have a cast iron answer: an unauthorised repairer has caused irreparable damage to the device. The warranty is void.

Apple's customer service is second to none, they will go out of their way to look after you. I've had a device replaced free of charge that was 2 years out of warranty.

I don't have any issue at all with them not supporting devices random untrained twonks have been messing with.

There are plenty of authorised repairers that aren't Apple themselves if you prefer that.

If someone thinks they can be clever and it all goes wrong then tough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Apple had battery issues with old iPods, very old in fact.

They did a recall on the iPods, ours was the best part of 10 years old.

We returned the iPod via and authorised outlet so cost nothing to return.

Around 2 weeks later we were given a brand new iPod of equivalent gb.

Service second to non i would say.

You pays your money etc.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Apple aren't expensive for repairs
I beg to differ.
Below is the excess to be paid with applecare and the higher figure is the cost of repair out of warranty.

That aint cheap.

AppleCare+ with accidental damage
Out-of-warranty
iPhone 6s Plus
£ 79
£ 256.44
iPhone 6s
£ 79
£ 236.44
iPhone 6 Plus
£ 55
£ 256.44
iPhone 6
£ 55
£ 236.44
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
£ 55
£ 206.44

The REPAIR cost alone for iphone 6 plus is £42 MORE than I paid for my HONOR phone which does everything the over priced and over rated iphone does..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I beg to differ.
Below is the excess to be paid with applecare and the higher figure is the cost of repair out of warranty.

That aint cheap.

AppleCare+ with accidental damage
Out-of-warranty
iPhone 6s Plus
£ 79
£ 256.44
iPhone 6s
£ 79
£ 236.44
iPhone 6 Plus
£ 55
£ 256.44
iPhone 6
£ 55
£ 236.44
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
£ 55
£ 206.44

I've never ever had AppleCare.

The last time I used them was for a new screen on my iPhone 6. The cheapest I could find to buy to fit myself at that time was £85. Apple quoted me £79.95, decided that was wrong and charged me £76. They replaced the entire device for that.

Cheap enough for me (y)

I'm going by personal experience, not what a website says.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That does not give them cart-Blanche to install software whichdisables a phone which is no longer under warranty

Probably not but you prove that they've done that and it isn't the unauthorised repair that's killed the phone.

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Not really in this case. They have a cast iron answer: an unauthorised repairer has caused irreparable damage to the device. The warranty is void.

Apple's customer service is second to none, they will go out of their way to look after you. I've had a device replaced free of charge that was 2 years out of warranty.

I don't have any issue at all with them not supporting devices random untrained twonks have been messing with.

There are plenty of authorised repairers that aren't Apple themselves if you prefer that.

If someone thinks they can be clever and it all goes wrong then tough.
How about a car manufacturer who invalidates the warranty if servicing is not carried out by a franchise holder of theirs and then builds in software to sieze the engine if it detects such servicing?

Dick

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That price list is a direct quote from apples own website.

Broken Link Removed

Which Apple stores have absolute carte blanche to ignore as they see fit and usually do so.

I'm also convinced, based on personal experience, that they have a policy of replacing devices foc whenever they can come up with the slightest reason.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If it was working for a long time after the repair and failed with the software up-date I'd have said its pretty clear it's an apple way of forcing you to use an approved repairer!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
How about a car manufacturer who invalidates the warranty if servicing is not carried out by a franchise holder of theirs and then builds in software to sieze the engine if it detects such servicing?

Dick

How is that relevant?

If you want to do a comparison try and find out what Samsung's policy is.

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
How is that relevant?

If you want to do a comparison try and find out what Samsung's policy is.
What you mean is that you don't think that it is a deliberate action by Apple?

As to Samsung, they don't control hardware and software. A bit like comparing apples and pears.

Dick

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What you mean is that you don't think that it is a deliberate action by Apple?

As to Samsung, they don't control hardware and software. A bit like comparing apples and pears.

Dick

This is a hardware issue. If there really is a "kill switch" thing in iPhones then it's deep in the firmware and can't sensibly be termed a software thing.

Anyway that's not what I was getting at. I'd be genuinely interested to know if Samsung, or anyone else for that matter, honours warranties if repairs are carried out by any old unauthorised, untrained chancer who thinks they know what they're doing.

And if my comparison was apples and pears you comparing phones to cars was apples and chain link fencing :D(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Which Apple stores have absolute carte blanche to ignore as they see fit and usually do so.

I'm also convinced, based on personal experience, that they have a policy of replacing devices foc whenever they can come up with the slightest reason.
No win situation on my part....

You obviously have a penchant for Apple in the same way I have a loathing for their overpriced and over rated products. ;)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

My IMac failed when 2 years out of warranty. Their service was appalling and expensive. It was replaced FOC inside three days. I did not have apple care or anything else. Satisfied customer

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is a hardware issue. If there really is a "kill switch" thing in iPhones then it's deep in the firmware and can't sensibly be termed a software thing.
Yes there is.....

If a repair is done by an apple agent the repar is verified by that repairer.
An unauthorised repairer cannot verify the repair.
The latest software update (ios9) 'scans' the phone and if the part that was replaced isnt confirmed it generates 'error 52' (or a similar number) which then disables the phone.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No win situation....

You obviously have a penchant for Apple in the same way I have a loathing for their overpriced and over rated products. ;)

Their overpriced over rated products have never once let me down. I use all Apple products at home and at work. I've probably got the range one way or another and a lot of the devices don't get treated very gently, especially the work ones. All the problems I've had have been self inflicted and when I've had them the overpriced over rated customer services teams have always sorted me out at minimal or zero cost and no fuss.

That's good enough for me (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd be genuinely interested to know if Samsung, or anyone else for that matter, honours warranties if repairs are carried out by any old unauthorised, untrained chancer who thinks they know what they're doing.
But that isnt the point.
This is happening to phones which are out of warranty as well.
And....if its still in warranty why pay a third party to fix it when it would be repaired or replaced FOC ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
But that isnt the point.
This is happening to phones which are out of warranty as well.
Why isn't it the point? Surely you should cast the anti Apple feeling to one side and see if other manufacturers offer similar service?

Unless of course the answer is inconveniently not the one you are looking for.........

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Must say I have never been able to see the Hype over Apple "stuff". It`s ALWAYS been High end price-wise. (right from the earliest "mac"s) Most of the (younger) relatives have I-Phones. which have cost in the region of 6-700pounds (or a lot more on a 2 year con trick). I have a Motorola, which does 99.9% of what the I-Phone does For Less than a quarter of the price?. and at that I could afford to "chuck it" if it failed?.

Pete

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Must say I have never been able to see the Hype over Apple "stuff". It`s ALWAYS been High end price-wise. (right from the earliest "mac"s) Most of the (younger) relatives have I-Phones. which have cost in the region of 6-700pounds (or a lot more on a 2 year con trick). I have a Motorola, which does 99.9% of what the I-Phone does For Less than a quarter of the price?. and at that I could afford to "chuck it" if it failed?.

Pete
Well, it is a free country -

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why isn't it the point? Surely you should cast the anti Apple feeling to one side and see if other manufacturers offer similar service?

Unless of course the answer is inconveniently not the one you are looking for.........
Again, that isnt the point.
Apple are disabling phones which are not under warranty and do not belong to them by providing a software/os update which also checks for unofficial repairs....regardless of if its under warranty or not.
If you rented the phone from apple then that would be a differemt matter....but you dont.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Apple are disabling phones which are not under warranty and do not belong to them by providing a software/os update which checks for unofficial repairs....regardless of if its under warranty or not.

Other than one story in a newspaper notoriously anti-business can you show anything to support that?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back