mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
well, we here the first case in Europe has reared its ugly head in Spain...... we doing our usual trip to the east coast in a few months time and you guessed it 'Im a Magnate for the mosi' bite so Im concerned ...anyone else?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Are you likely to be in the first 3 months of pregnancy or about to become pregnant?

I'm guessing it's a bit like Rubella used to be. In the general population, usually more of a nuisance than serious UNLESS you are in early pregnancy.

I do think the virus will mutate and spread from human to human (if it hasn't already done so). I also think there will be a vaccine available at some stage.

Reactions: GJH
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Plus the woman went to an effected area. It wasn't contracted in Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The Zika virus causes a mild illness in people--- flu like feeling, bloodshot eyes, often a rash. It is not usually fatal, as one might expect with malaria.
The problem occurs if contracted by a pregnant woman, probably in first 0-4 months. The foetal brain development is affected. In Europe this would be picked up on a scan. Abortion is illegal in most ( possibly all) South Ametican countries, scans probably rare in rural areas or where people cannot afford to pay.
The dr in Brasil who first alerted the health authorities to this outbreak saw a baby with microcephaly on her rounds, then 3 with the same the following day ( you'd maybe expect 3 in a year I'd think) she called her mother, also a doctor at another hospital , who found 7 newborns in her hospital affected.
In 20+ years of special needs teaching I only remember meeting 3 or 4 children with microcephaly in Britain, but the same number in one institution in Eastern Europe, the grimmest place I've ever been.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Maybe the Roman Catholic Church might one day change the view on the Abortion matter also that of birth control so that we do not overun everywhere with humans and before a VIRUS does the natural thing and reduce the numbers for us.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
So the question is, (before a vaccine is developed)

If a woman of say 20 years old goes to South America next week and gets bitten by one of the bugs and gets the zika virus, then gets pregnant 5 years later (or longer) is she still at risk of having a damaged baby ?

And if she has the virus in her, what are the chances of having a damaged baby ? 1 in 100, 1 in 10, 1 in 1 ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

If a woman of say 20 years old goes to South America next week and gets bitten by one of the bugs and gets the zika virus, then gets pregnant 5 years later (or longer) is she still at risk of having a damaged baby ?

And if she has the virus in her, what are the chances of having a damaged baby ? 1 in 100, 1 in 10, 1 in 1 ?

Assuming you mean a baby damaged by Zika? We don't know...... but at a guess I would say that if she recovers there will be minimal risk as she will have developed antibodies. Scientists will probably develop vaccines from the antibodies of people who have recovered or who are naturally immune.

Even things like chicken pox which stays in the nerve endings and can manifest later as shingles do not affect the children carried / born long after the first infection.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

The risk is to a foetus in the womb when the mother has the Zika virus. The virus is short lived so there's no evidence to suggest it could affect a future pregnancy ( unlike HIV which would remain present and could affect future pregnancies without medical treatment)

All viruses act differently. Ehola is a haemorragic virus ( Zika isn't) HIV remains present and alters the immune system ( Zika doesn't) . One of the reasons it's difficult to develop vaccines against viruses is because they're so varied.
Zika is mild--- it doesn't kill, it doesn't leave a person affected with lasting health problems--- but it appears to damage brain development in a foetus. I think many years ago Rubella might have sometimes caused microcephaly but I haven't met a Rubella-damaged person for about 25 years ( because of vaccination programmes)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Which has replaced AIDS in the news.

Yup....
image.jpeg

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Bloody conspiracy theories drive me up the wall. Please tell me you are just trolling with this and don't actually believe such nonesense.
Is it any less plausible than the story the media are pushing

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'll tell you what .. as someone who has had guillain barre .. it's a frightening horrible thing to get .. :(

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I'll tell you what .. as someone who has had guillain barre .. it's a frightening horrible thing to get .. :(

It certainly is for the 15% for whom it's fatal!

The MIL is recovering from it, been in hospital for 7 months now recovering in a nursing home.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I had to google this , as I'd not heard of it.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Guillain-Barre-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Do you think she got it through mosquitos ? It doesn't mention them as being a cause on this NHS link.
I get eaten alive by mosquitos so , although I don't plan on getting pregnant anytime soon, to think mozzies cause other nasty things is a worry.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
No.. guillan barre is a syndrome which I believe means it's cause is unknown. It seems to have been triggered by the virus in south America though.
In my case it was triggered during flu like symptoms. (Some years ago)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Is it any less plausible than the story the media are pushing
It's not in the slightest plausible if you have a basic understanding of science or do a little research.

This conspiracy is a basic correlation/causation thing and the correlation is extremely weak in this case. I am happy to write up why it is bull&^*^ but you could find the facts for yourself with 5 minutes of googling.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It's not in the slightest plausible if you have a basic understanding of science or do a little research.

This conspiracy is a basic correlation/causation thing and the correlation is extremely weak in this case. I am happy to write up why it is bull&^*^ but you could find the facts for yourself with 5 minutes of googling.
I can you are right. But after another 5 minutes I can find another set of facts which tell a different and equally implausible story. Some biology and some genetics mixed with a touch of common sense tell me something is wrong with the official version of events. I think we will learn of another cause of the recent outbreak of microcephaly but probably not before the WHO have spent a fortune on dodgy science to attempt (and fail) to either wipe out a breed of mosquito or add yet another vaccine against a harmless virus to the growing list of assaults on the body.

Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I just think the herd is stupid and this is the herd acting. I can see though why there are conspiracy theories in cases like this.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can you are right. But after another 5 minutes I can find another set of facts which tell a different and equally implausible story. Some biology and some genetics mixed with a touch of common sense tell me something is wrong with the official version of events. I think we will learn of another cause of the recent outbreak of microcephaly but probably not before the WHO have spent a fortune on dodgy science to attempt (and fail) to either wipe out a breed of mosquito or add yet another vaccine against a harmless virus to the growing list of assaults on the body.

Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I just think the herd is stupid and this is the herd acting. I can see though why there are conspiracy theories in cases like this.

WOW, Just Wow.. You are a conspiracy theorist and your post pretty much confirms it :p The FACTS are straight forward if you look into it. Fact check the conspiracy theorists and their argument falls flat on it's face at each stage.

Let's take your picture;

Prior to the release of 6 Million GMO mosquitoes. No Significant instances of the disease was reported.
Incorrect, It has been reported in Yap and French polynesia where 75% of the population were infected. They can track the route the infection took.

Two weeks ago hardly anyone had heard about it.
That is incorrect, It has been well known about since 1947. IT has come to mass public awareness because the link between Microcephaly and Zika has been all but confirmed and the press worldwide saw an opportunity to scare and sell papers. It has been well known about since 1947 I believe and in Brazil people have known about it since 2014 I think? The scientific community has been watching it since at least 2007.

Now the vaccine is almost ready.
No it's not. It is going to be about two years until it is ready for human testing and up to 10 years before it is available for public release.

How big do you want the red flag to be?
Very funny.

OK. Some facts.

Zika has spread from Africa, to Yap (2007) to French Polynesia(2012). No fetal abnormalities were initially linked to Zika in Yap or in French Polynesia. The lack of abnormalities in Yap was down to the small size of the population and limited number of child births. In French Polynesia however they weren't looking for this as there was no known correlation existing between Zika and fetal abnormalities. Once Zika hit the South American continent with much higher populations a statistically significant increase in cases of microcephaly was noticed. This was eventually linked to Zika due to it's presence in fetal remains. When the European version of the CDC then went back to French Polynesia they found 17 cases of Microcephaly.

There has never been a release of the Genetically modified mosquitoes in French Polynesia.

The reason we are seeing such high numbers of microcephaly in Brazil is due to population size and density nothing else. The microcephaly infection link has only just been made because it is the first time the Zika virus has encountered a large and densly populated area enough that there would be a significant increase in cases.

This is a case of correlation without causation. Here is one for you to think about. The rise in Organic food has directly matched the rise in Autism. Here is a graph that demonstrates the link including proper links to the sources of the information so you can check for yourself.

correlation.png

Just because A happened before B doesn't mean that A caused B.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
WOW, Just Wow.. You are a conspiracy theorist and your post pretty much confirms it :p The FACTS are straight forward if you look into it. Fact check the conspiracy theorists and their argument falls flat on it's face at each stage.

Let's take your picture;

Prior to the release of 6 Million GMO mosquitoes. No Significant instances of the disease was reported.
Incorrect, It has been reported in Yap and French polynesia where 75% of the population were infected. They can track the route the infection took.

Two weeks ago hardly anyone had heard about it.
That is incorrect, It has been well known about since 1947. IT has come to mass public awareness because the link between Microcephaly and Zika has been all but confirmed and the press worldwide saw an opportunity to scare and sell papers. It has been well known about since 1947 I believe and in Brazil people have known about it since 2014 I think? The scientific community has been watching it since at least 2007.

Now the vaccine is almost ready.
No it's not. It is going to be about two years until it is ready for human testing and up to 10 years before it is available for public release.

How big do you want the red flag to be?
Very funny.

OK. Some facts.

Zika has spread from Africa, to Yap (2007) to French Polynesia(2012). No fetal abnormalities were initially linked to Zika in Yap or in French Polynesia. The lack of abnormalities in Yap was down to the small size of the population and limited number of child births. In French Polynesia however they weren't looking for this as there was no known correlation existing between Zika and fetal abnormalities. Once Zika hit the South American continent with much higher populations a statistically significant increase in cases of microcephaly was noticed. This was eventually linked to Zika due to it's presence in fetal remains. When the European version of the CDC then went back to French Polynesia they found 17 cases of Microcephaly.

There has never been a release of the Genetically modified mosquitoes in French Polynesia.

The reason we are seeing such high numbers of microcephaly in Brazil is due to population size and density nothing else. The microcephaly infection link has only just been made because it is the first time the Zika virus has encountered a large and densly populated area enough that there would be a significant increase in cases.

This is a case of correlation without causation. Here is one for you to think about. The rise in Organic food has directly matched the rise in Autism. Here is a graph that demonstrates the link including proper links to the sources of the information so you can check for yourself.

View attachment 92366

Just because A happened before B doesn't mean that A caused B.
Your using bad science to argue the case for bad science. There is a rise in the incidence of a virus thought to be generally harmless and at the same time a rise in cases of a birth defect. Read your own last sentence again.

No, not a conspiracy theorist just someone who is seeing bad science being reported as fact by sensationalist media.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Your using bad science to argue the case for bad science. There is a rise in the incidence of a virus thought to be generally harmless and at the same time a rise in cases of a birth defect. Read your own last sentence again.

No, not a conspiracy theorist just someone who is seeing bad science being reported as fact by sensationalist media.
I think he just took your ill informed conspiracy theory and blew it out of the water with some facts tbh.
You bandy about the words biology and genetics like you're an authority on this subject.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I think he just took your ill informed conspiracy theory and blew it out of the water with some facts tbh.
You bandy about the words biology and genetics like you're an authority on this subject.
Where is my conspiracy theory?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Where is my conspiracy theory?
You said. .
"I canyou are right. But after another 5 minutes I can find another set of facts which tell a different and equally implausible story. Some biology and some genetics mixed with a touch of common sense tell me something is wrongwith the official version of events"

That's classic
Passing off a google search from somewhere as fact. Throw in a few technical words and question the official version... which you never quote.

Unless you agree with @Gromett

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back