Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Hello everyone, after much deliberating my hubby and I are taking the plunge and going to be full timers in a couple of months time. We have spent every spare minute visiting all the motorhome suppliers in our area and checking out all the vans. Now they all look lovely and functional but the more time we spend in them the more we get confused. We have narrowed it down to wanting a fixed rear bed, garage, wet room and space to chill out and plate up. Our biggest dilemma is ..firstly...New? or used? and we need ideally an automatic one the reason being that we want to share the driving and I can only drive automatics cos I have a disability. Ha! thin on the ground are them from what I see and to get a new one means waiting till next year (not much chance of that as we are eager to get going) We read possibly every magazine going thus confusing us further any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to jump straight in and ask for help, I shall now browze around this lovely site. Thank you:RollEyes:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
:welcome::welcome: to MHFun. Loads of friendly folk on here to answer all your questions.::bigsmile: :thumb:

bald eagle

Free Member
Jan 30, 2009
here,there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
Hi jomel and:welcome:
We have been f/t for 5 years now and we love it, best of luck with your
new life:thumb:

regards
bald eagle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the site, I hope you find what you want. In the mean time why not attend the Shepton Mallet show in September

Link Removed

there will be a wide choice of vans and plenty of funsters on hand to help you out.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
your new home

With all respects to European motorhomes, I think your only way forward is an American if you are going to live in it full time. With the yank, the slide out totally changes the lounge area and sometimes the bedroom, plus automatic gear change, and they are built to last. All the gizmos are standard. We are going to spend winters south in about three years and we have done a lot of research, the Americans are way ahead of the field with regards to comfort & general usability. That said happy hunting which ever road you go down. :Smile:
P.S. We would buy second hand every time- too much to lose on new:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Jomel welcome I agree with Griff for all the bits and the space RVs are great, but you would pay a price in economy and rare limitation on where you can park although with a bike or toad no problem.
Good luck

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our biggest dilemma is ..firstly...New? or used?

Used.

You don't know what you are doing yet. Buy new and you are sure of a massive loss if you find it's not the one for you.

The cheapest used one that look right would seem to make sense to learn on.

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Thank you for your warm welcomes :Smile: The RV's are something else arent they? We came across one at a motorhome place nr Highbridge. Fantastic amount of room, and all the mod cons. I threw me arms about the thing and shouted 'this is it' this is what I want! But my hubby frowned and pointed out that as we want to tour Europe and would be doing a huge amount of mileage that perhaps it would be better if we looked for a smaller engine. He eventually managed to peel me away from it and like a petulant child I followed him to the car. I do point out lots of RV,s in the mags but I get the eyebrow, so unless theres one that runs on LPG or something I cant see him changing his mind. Having said that if we ever go sateside we may hire one.
I agree 2nd hand looking the way forward. Just to find an Auto.
Shepton Mallet? Well be there! :RollEyes: Thanks again.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Good morning Jomel, we bought our RV following two 3 week hols in RVs in the US the first from San Fran ( alcatraz ggate etc) on to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Hoover,Death Valley, Grand canyon Las Vegas and back to LA.
The second started in hotel in Manhattan then up coast to Cape Cod whale watching trip then to Canada Toronto CN tower then Niagara and back to NY

perhaps the romance of such trips convinced us.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But my hubby frowned and pointed out that as we want to tour Europe and would be doing a huge amount of mileage that perhaps it would be better if we looked for a smaller engine.

See - you do need us men to control your hormones !

Think 10mpg - every mile is going to cost you ÂŁ1 when you take servicing into account. One of the nicest places in Europe, Lake Garda, will cost you ÂŁ1000 each way from Calais. Or you can pay Ryanair ÂŁ30 each.

Then the size, unsuited to Lake Garda and loads of campsites won't accept RVs.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Jomel WELCOME to the fun

Hope you find what you want

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Hello and welcome,

You need to work out what you want first before getting the Van,

A RV may be more expensive on fuel, but the pay back with the space and all the luxuries in my opionion more than make up for it.

As for the fuel usage you need to work out what type of travelling you would be doing if full time i take it you would not be moving on every other day and would spend time exploring area's that you are at, by using a toad then the fuel issue would not be a major concern.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Brian is not wrong , we will be changing our RV in November, and in recent weeks have scoured the dealers and websites for the ideal MHome. We still cannot find anything near the space and comfort of an RV but want to travel far and wide in Europe. So far the best of both worlds looks to be the Four Winds/ Monaco/Winnebago etc based on the Dodge chassis with 3l Mercedes diesel , 25ft with slideout, genny, different floorplans and all the yankee bits.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
, by using a toad then the fuel issue would not be a major concern.

I'm not being confrontational, just tossing ideas as I see them as a small MH owner, but you just brought in another layer of problems - toad - so even more expensive on ferries, even more difficult to find a pitch and even lower fuel consumption.

The idea is fantastic but I don't think the reality would suit us even if we could afford such an outfit.

Being a biker, a bike in a garage my dream.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
I'm not being confrontational, just tossing ideas as I see them as a small MH owner, but you just brought in another layer of problems - toad - so even more expensive on ferries, even more difficult to find a pitch and even lower fuel consumption.

The idea is fantastic but I don't think the reality would suit us even if we could afford such an outfit.

Being a biker, a bike in a garage my dream.[/QUOTe

Where do you put the bike ??

Each to there own some prefer luxury some prefer being able to use the morohome for exploring, there is no right or wrong way to do it, just the way it suits your lifestyle.
That is why i started my post with you need to work out what you want first, do not let any one put you off a certain style of motorhoming just make sure it is right for you.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Shepton Mallet? Well be there! :RollEyes: Thanks again.
do come and find the fun site and introduce yourselves, better still borrow a Motorhome/caravan/tent and book in to the site for the whole weekend. We look forwar to meeting you, If you are able to stay the weekend do let me know and I'll add you to the list of attendees

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
If you look at Merc Sprinter based vans you'll find most of them have 'Sprintshift' in them. Whilst not a full auto it should suit you, 2 pedals only. :thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Jomel

Nigel and I have been fulltiming since last June and did it in a previous life for 6 years.

Good luck to you both. We would be more than happy to have a chat with you about the in's and out's of f/t, can you make it to the Western Motorhome Show at the 3 Counties Showground, Malvern on the weekend of 13th - 17th August. Motorhome fun have a meet there, unfortunately, you are a bit late to book in with us, if you have a way of camping you can get into the general camping area and then come over and join us for a bit of fun, or even visit for the day.

There'll be plenty of motorhomes on display at this show for you to have a look at.

If you can make it and would like a contact number, send us a pm.

Nigel and Pamala (Marshalls at this meet)

OP
OP
jomel

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Well, halfway through the working week and Im feeling down cos we have to wait till Sat afternoon to go viewing some more. I think Im becoming obsessive you know?
We did go and see some RVs in Bristol last Monday. Saw a 5th wheel and a dodge too. Luvverly beasts but not for us just yet as we want to tour everywhere with a smaller van.
I am collecting 'bottom drawer' stuff like medical essentials and maps etc. Sourcing info and reading all kinds of manner of technical jargon to do with batteries and stuff. I want to know everything. I found out what a 'toad' was lol duh! silly me it means towed ,oooh hurry up Motyhome I just want too goooo.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its an exciting time.
In the boating world they say " the happiest days are when you buy it and the day that you sell it " thats not the case with mhomes most days can be happy days ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back