Anyone near or know Papworth near Cambridge ? (1 Viewer)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi i have to go to Papworth near Cambridge hopefully only for a few days next week, i am taking my motorhome to sleep in while there. Couple of questions.
Sat nav shows fastest route there from Swansea is heading up towards Birmingham turning north before the 7 bridge then across country to Papworth, a relative went that route before xmas and said it was mostly lanes and minor roads and a long hard drive. I am thinking head up the M4 till turn off south of Papworth, Oxford area i think ? then drive up from there. Any ideas if thats a better route ?

Also any sites in the area incase i need to stay longer ?
Thanks
Jack.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm guessing you're off to the hospital there. If so I hope all goes well (y)

There's a CC site at Graham Water which is about a 25 minute drive.

Apart from the usual CC facilities there's nothing there though - no shops, no pub, no restaurant. You need to be pretty self sufficient.

There's also a CC site at Cherry Hinton near Cambridge and Chaplins Farm CL in Fulbourn which is a little further away but does have a pub.

From Swansea your route is M4 - M25 - M11. Whoever told you it's near Oxford was confused.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks Nicknic, I was thinking of using the m4 then turning north before London heading up towards Cambridge, just a thought from dodgy memory hahaha ive not looked at the map yet, but your directions sound same as the other route with lots of slower lanes and minor roads en route but no probs il just allow longer to get there .(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Nicknic, I was thinking of using the m4 then turning north before London heading up towards Cambridge, just a thought from dodgy memory hahaha ive not looked at the map yet, but your directions sound same as the other route with lots of slower lanes and minor roads en route but no probs il just allow longer to get there .(y)
NicNic's route uses motorways all the way until you are close to Papworth.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

NicNic's route uses motorways all the way until you are close to Papworth.

It does.

Papworth itself is about 10 minutes off of the M11. Grafham Water is about 5 minutes from the A14. Cherry Hinton/Fulbourn is a little further, 20 minutes or so from the M11.

Not sure how you can turn North before London and still get to Cambridge unless you're going to do some weird A34-A43-A45-A14 route but that would be massively slower although probably less miles.

Jun 21, 2008
Haxey, Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi autoswan

Worked at Papworth for 5 years before retiring and if I lived in Swansea I would use this route

Swansea M4 to Swindon
Swindon A420 to Oxford
Oxford A34 to Bicester
Bicester A321 to Bedford
Bedford A421 to Ai junk
A1 to St Neots
St Neots A428 to Papworth this route is 95% dual carriageway

hope this helps

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi i have to go to Papworth near Cambridge hopefully only for a few days next week, i
Thanks
Jack.
Just use what nic-nic said. M4,M25,M11 straightforward.
Take no notice of the route that shows "off at Oxford " somewhere <& across country. Takes forever.
From Swansea your route is M4 - M25 - M11. Whoever told you it's near Oxford was confused.

No ,some sat-navs throw off at Oxford up as a route in a straight line to Cambridge. Also don't even think about the
Up M5 to below Birmingham & around & across that way. Nothing in it for mileage ( I checked once ) but will take longer.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Seconded.

If it is the case that you need to visit the hospital, have a word with their Broken Link Removed. They may be able to arrange for you to park on site in your van (or even stay for a few days if needed).

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi autoswan

Worked at Papworth for 5 years before retiring and if I lived in Swansea I would use this route

Swansea M4 to Swindon
Swindon A420 to Oxford
Oxford A34 to Bicester
Bicester A321 to Bedford
Bedford A421 to Ai junk
A1 to St Neots
St Neots A428 to Papworth this route is 95% dual carriageway

hope this helps
That's the route I always use to Cambridge,much better than m25 way . .Roy

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Seconded.

If it is the case that you need to visit the hospital, have a word with their Broken Link Removed. They may be able to arrange for you to park on site in your van (or even stay for a few days if needed).

Graham is spot on with this.

The PALS service at our hospital can get things organised that no one else can do. Give them a go.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks everyone i`m well confused now :D i will get the maps out and mess with sat nav the weekend looking at all suggestions, i know just head east n up a bit will get me in that neck of the woods so should be fun ;)

I think the person that drove there before xmas may have got a bit lost hense the lanes and minor roads for ages en route ? and a road near Papworth was closed till next day so they stayed in a pub carpark for the night till road reopened early next day.
A family member is having a very big operation there heart n lungs so i will be there till after op when i know she is safe and on the mend, then i will make my way back for work leaving her there with other family till she can eventually come home.
Motor home coming out of hibernation and stoking it up this weekend ready but first trip without the girls will be strange. Hope the snow and floods keep away :)

Teddyj

Free Member
May 10, 2013
St Neots
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Their are a few sites,one in and around Huntingdon which is within 4 miles of Papworth
Hope this helps.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Don't rule out M4, M5, M42, M6, A14, A1198.
That's the way i'd go. Had to do virtually the same route in reverse (Royston to Swansea) a few years back. Avoid the M25 at all costs and getting round Oxford can also be a pig if you get your timing wrong.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I love the "avoid the M25 at all costs" myth. So many people still believe it that the traffic isn't usually too bad for the rest of us.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I love the "avoid the M25 at all costs" myth. So many people still believe it that the traffic isn't usually too bad for the rest of us.

What the old "4 Lane Car Park"? (well mostly 6 lanes in 2 directions). You can`t beat it:D:D:D:D:D Although sometimes the North Circular was faster!!;);) Best time, weekdays after 10 and before 3. Or overnight, providing they are not doing the "Pat and Mickery".

Pete

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

There's a CC site at Graham Water which is about a 25 minute drive.

Apart from the usual CC facilities there's nothing there though - no shops, no pub, no restaurant. You need to be pretty self sufficient.
Nice Indian restaurant in the village, which was the old pub (well there as last time we went there)
Also the CC sites not open all year.

Jun 21, 2008
Haxey, Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
If your not bothered where you stay there is an Industrial estate at the top of the hill 2 minutes from the hospital the only sites open around Papworth are CC Graffam water CC Pidley CC Cherry Hinton or Willows caravan park Brampton very nice restaurant 200 yards up the road

John

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

As some will be aware (other thread(s) I am Still "playing" with the new Sat Nag. So I thought, how about this. Anyway, start at the Severn crossing. (and SHE Says:) M5 North, Exit 11A (417) exit onto A436, and change to A435, turn onto A40 -> Oxford. At Woodstock Road turn onto A34, eixt onto M40 to exit 10, A43 -> Northampton, B340 and turn onto the A43, next turn onto A421, stay on A421 through M-Keynes. cross the M1. (still A421) Turn North on A1 to A428. Left turn onto A1198 takes you into Papworth!!

Hey!! I think I`m getting the hang of it!. AND If I`m wrong I just blame "HER"?

Pete

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi

As some will be aware (other thread(s) I am Still "playing" with the new Sat Nag. So I thought, how about this. Anyway, start at the Severn crossing. M5 North, Exit 11A (417) exit onto A436, and change to A435, turn onto A40 -> Oxford. At Woodstock Road turn onto A34, eixt onto M40 to exit 10, A43 -> Northampton, B340 and turn onto the A43, next turn onto A421, stay on A421 through M-Keynes. cross the M1. (still A421) Turn North on A1 to A428. Left turn onto A1198 takes you into Papworth!!

Hey!! I think I`m getting the hang of it!. AND If I`m wrong I just blame "HER"?

Pete

That route is fine if you are familiar with the area and know how to get around delays. I've used it or variations of it myself plenty of times.

If however you aren't that familiar with an area I think it's always best to keep the route as simple as possible.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
That route is fine if you are familiar with the area and know how to get around delays. I've used it or variations of it myself plenty of times.

If however you aren't that familiar with an area I think it's always best to keep the route as simple as possible.

Like I said Nic. I just gave it to the new Sat Nag. and she is to blame!!.

Pete

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Your other option is to head to Swindon on the M4 then cut across to Oxford from there.

Going through Milton Keynes may be an issue for two reasons - the number of roundabouts which will hit your mpg and there can be horrendous queues at rush hour on the road to Bedford as it approaches the M1. If going this way keep a look out for the Airship Hangars at Cardington.

If you do not want to rely on your Sat Nav then M4,M25 -J23,A1,A428 as long as you enter the M25 after 0930hr and exit before 1530hr you should have no issues, fewer junctions, dual carriageway and no towns/cities to negotiate.

Beware parking at Papworth. It is a busy hospital with inadequate parking. You should make enquiries before you turn up.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I just sent an e mail asking about parking there so fingers crossed if not then i will find a quiet spot nearby, my father was allowed to park in the hospital grounds before xmas but he has a disabled badge. I think i can pay to stay there if not permitted free so i will see what they say.
I also just taxed the mh for 6 months at £ 126.50 :cry: but i do sorn it when not in use for months between trips :)
The route has split opinion on here but the difffering options are interesting for when i eventually get the maps out and fire up the google earth machines (y)

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Don't rule out M4, M5, M42, M6, A14, A1198.

This is the route we used and it was fine all the way, probably travelling on a Sunday helped ? Good fast roads all the way it took 5-6 hours plodding along at average 60mph,plus a few stops enroute. There is a shop, cafe and post office in the village and i heard there`s a restaurant somewhere too, on the hospital grounds there is a good cafe, small shop and a food van near the entrance so not as bad as i imagined. The parking is £15 for a week in a nice spot in the grounds which is cheaper than a site away from here :), Thanks for all the tips, Jack.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i still have to attend regular visits to papworth hospital, every few months. the hospital is actually at papworth everard but they are building a replacement next to addenbrooks in cambridge due to open next year

onsite parking is pretty tight and very limited. the wife dropped me off once in the motorhome (i had to do the multipoint turn for her to get out) and can confirm there are no spaces big enough for anything bigger than a pvc.

now I take the motorhome to Huntingdon Boat haven in huntingdon 4.2 miles away and get a local taxi to take me in and drop me back (cost £9.50 with steves taxis)

have also driven up in the car the night before, overnighted in a pub/hotel a few miles away, then driven the short distance for an early admission to the ward

if you would like phone numbers for the above please feel free to pm

oh and route i use is oxford , bicester etc

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi big 1. last night we parked in bays as you said a bit short for the MH`s but it was late and they were ok and out of the way from the main car park, but earlier we moved to the bigger gravel car park just past the hospital cafe where there is a lot more space at the back end not specifically made for MH`s but the biggest spaces i have found here so far and will do us till we head home. I had no problem getting around the grounds in the MH it is the Everard site but maybe it is a little less busy at the moment than when you had to multipoint turn out ?
Thanks for the offer of the numbers it was very cold out last night but warm enough in here otherwise the pub/hotel would be very tempting hahaha. I may take another look at alternative routes home as i will probably be leaving before my father does and he wanted that route up here so i took it to keep him happy:whistle:

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
My son was taken ill whilst we were racing at Snetterton circuit and I had to rush him to Papworth.It was a nightmare as I had the racing car and trailer and couldn't find anywhere to Park!But I was eventually directed right round the back of the hospital to a multi-storey car park which also had a surface parking area!Managed to park there with the rear of the van hanging over the grass area.If I remember rightly it was about £8 a day.You May be able to stay there.Some will be able to tell you!!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Be aware that they are modifying the M6/A14 interchange at the moment.

If going to Addenbrooke's then you will probably find it less hassle to park and ride as it has the worst parking of any hospital I know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back