Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Stayed there last year - it's amazing and I suspect this is not the only one like this.
Temperatures pretty extreme also - one morning -15• but we positively tropical in the motorhome

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
The whole site was an ice rink when we arrived. But the snow tyres are amazing .. Absolutely no drama. ANOTHER 6" snow overnight. Presently 22'c inside!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
OK tell me, I have been skiing for over 35 years sometime 3 times a season and for the last 10 driving in the car, I love my motor home, but I would never in a million years contemplate living in the mountains in it to ski. You get back wet with gear to remove and store/dry, skis to store, boots to remove and store/dry. All in a space that's tight to work in with summer gear! So its hotels for me and dam the expense!
Never stayed in St Anton, been to Lech and Zurs and skied/bus over though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK tell me, I have been skiing for over 35 years sometime 3 times a season and for the last 10 driving in the car, I love my motor home, but I would never in a million years contemplate living in the mountains in it to ski. You get back wet with gear to remove and store/dry, skis to store, boots to remove and store/dry. All in a space that's tight to work in with summer gear! So its hotels for me and dam the expense!

Lightweight!:)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We do t shirts in the van and open a window at night or it gets too hot!
The perception that motorhomes are cold and damp inside in winter is just not true.
We have seen -27 outside and we are always nice and toasty at 20 degrees plus.
Moisture management is needed though. We open all windows during cooking breakfast for a while to purge any moist air. Condensation is not an issue if you ventilate in this manner. The open window at night helps too.

The only difference from summer camping is that taking the van skiing is more fun!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
You get back wet with gear to remove and store/dry, skis to store, boots to remove and store/dry. All in a space that's tight to work in with summer gear! So its hotels for me and dam the expense!

I'm with you on this, particularly coming back to a van after a days skiing.

For 30 odd years we've done the package deal and if you're flexible there's bargains to be had, we did a week in Tignes "Crystal Finest" hotel before Christmas £350 each - that's for flights transfers and half board, an added bonus was 2 for 1 lift pass offer - so £500 all in plus spends.

Off to Les Arcs in March similar deal.

Now when I retire I will give some thought to the MH route but only on the basis that I have 5 - 6 weeks to play with.

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
OK to deal with each-
The skis and boots go into the heated ski store ready warm and dry for tomorrow.
Wet suits are either on hangers in shower, or hung up in the personal bathroom that is adjacent to the pitch.
Après ski is half mile swim followed by sauna and steam room.
Evening meals have been pre frozen and carried in 80l freezer in boot. Wine is courtesy of cite Europe.
Evening entertainment is usually dvd.
Roughing it it is not, though I will accept it is not necessarily cheaper.

So far 3 full weeks skiing St lofer, Kitzbuhel and St Anton for around £50 each per day.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It IS cheaper for us at half term.

Half term week self catering accommodation for 4 in VT is about £3000!:Eeek:
Then you need to add flights, transfers, excess luggage for skis and kit and it gets silly.
Free tunnel on Tesco vouchers, £120 for dog travel and passports, £500 fuel for travel and heating, food bought with us, €120 for parking and services.
Including ski passes and a couple of meals out, we'll have change from £1500 for the whole trip.

Can't argue with that!

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
You can also change at last minute to suit snow conditions. Package you are stuck with location, and somebody else's bed.
The whole reason for getting our motorhome was le ski - everything else a bonus.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Don't you find you have to drive off every few days to fill up with LPG? We have two cylinders that last about a week when it's not too cold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back