For anyone about to tidy up the sealant on their vans (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you are replacing sealant because it is stained with mildew - try this to remove the marks; it has worked for me many times - HG Mould remover.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thanks.

We are going to take the silicone off and reseal showers and bathrooms at home. The HG stuff has never worked for me :(

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks.

We are going to take the silicone off and reseal showers and bathrooms at home. The HG stuff has never worked for me :(
Strange; it has worked for me. I used to replace sealant regularly in a number of bathrooms that I deal with because they were stained back but haven't had to do that since I found HG mould remover - it is better than others that I have used. I also use the HG grease remover which is great.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The HG stuff is bleach so I would "gan canny" where you use it on the MH. I find that to a point Autoglym super resin polish will clean the PU sealant, but you can't beat getting the old stuff out and a complete re seal looking good as new, a tool to remove the old stuff would be good as I wrecked my thumb nails doing ours.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"Bathroom Mould" is a Fungus, and the only Long term fix is replacement, after fumigating the entire space, (the Spores are in the atmosphere). A better "fix" is the use of a Fungicide with a Copper base. Bleach products ONLY whiten the surface, the majority of spores are still there.

I recently had an "infestation" due to putting wet boots in a dark cupboard, and so far have had no return, but watching!

Pete

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
I bought the tool for removing silicone and tried it in a shower in the house - no good I'm afraid. I think there's no easy way to remove old silicone or is there?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I bought a silicone removal tool similar to the lidls one when I resealed my Heiki . I found it extremely good at getting the silicone off without scratching, what amazes me is how you can have plastic that is sharp enough to cut fingers.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
If you are replacing sealant because it is stained with mildew - try this to remove the marks; it has worked for me many times - HG Mould remover.

Absolutely fantastic stuff for cleaning mould in bathrooms BUT do not let it settle on any aluminium or alloy fittings, it will stain them very badly.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm sure the razor blade works well on ceramic tiles and glass (if I remember correctly a tool which held a similar blade came with a cooker we once had) but I don't think I would like to use one on the painted metal or GRP surface of a van :D

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I went to Lidl today. As well as buying one of each cutter and some cartridge nozzles I bought a Sealant Gun. I didn't need one immediately but at only £3.99 it's a substantial bit of kit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use Stanley knife blades flat against the surface which does the trick nicely and leaves very little behind to be cleaned off, for smaller/awkward bits a scalpel is good too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back