What electrical switch do I need? (1 Viewer)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have just bought a pair of Lumo led18 ceiling lights to replace the lights in my Pilot. The lights have 3 wires Black= ground
Red= full light
White= night light
At the moment I have wired the feed to the red wire but I would like to have the option to switch either light from full to night. The feed comes from a switch by the door so I would like to put switches by both lights but I am not sure of the type of switch to buy or even if it's possible to switch the feed from one to the other. Any help would be appreciated.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
This may not be possible unless the led's are of the dimmable type

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If they are like ours they have two different types of bulb in them, one set bright, one dim - and blue coloured!

They have a little rocker switch, one way gives the bright light, the other the dim.

You just need a two way switch, which will have three terminals. The middle one (usually) you connect the common feed to and the other two terminals are connected to the bright/dim feed wires.

Something like this: http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/on-off-on-mini-rocker-switch-16-amps-at-12-volts.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You should be able to obtain from maplins an automotive switch with a centre feed that switches to two positions I have used these in the past to make one supply do two jobs. someone beat me to the punch whilst typing.

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Thank you all for your quick response I would prefer to have white round switches as these would then match the switches that on nearby lights. Unfortunately after a quick search I can't find anything suitable?.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Bit difficult getting one in white Mike as all the car makers seem to think we all need black switches....the only thing I can think of is to carefully spray it with a humbrol enamel paint....on saying that some smartass on here will come up with a proper solution.. Roy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I was thinking along the same lines Khizzie. I have ordered a couple of these http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/round-on-on-mini-rocker-switch-16-amps-at-12-volts.html and if it comes to the worst I can try spraying them white.:confused:

Well whatever the outcome you cant go far wrong with the price of however would not be better to find a similar one that has centre off and one side to bright and other to dim .in other words centre infeed and the others outfeeds to lamps. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't know what your existing switch looks like but another option is to fit an identical switch alongside it using one for bright & one for dim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back