How long to get from Calais to the south (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We're off to France mid March for a couple of weeks and want to find some vaguely warmer weather. How many hours drive from Calais to (say) Nimes? I don't want to be on peages all the time (boring and also expensive) but will take them to avoid bottlenecks. Perhaps driving for max four hours a day at no more than 60mph. A bit vague I know but someone must have done it!

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I'll check that out, thanks. We may go a bit further west maybe via Toulouse in which case we will go the route we took coming back from the Dordogne last year past Limoges. We'll check out the weather forecast to see where the better weather will be. I'd originally planned on heading to Ile de Re for some cycling. Maybe we still will. But getting further south is worth planning for if it is feasible in the time.

Only 22 weeks 'til retirement though! Then we won't have to worry about how long it takes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We usually leave Calais at 0100 french time and get down to the Cote d'azure for lunchtime, stopping just before Dijon for an hour or 2 nap in the services, usually just at first light. Love driving thro the night, hit the motorway and don't stop. Usually v tired when we get there, tho that's partly cos we go straight after work. However, for lounging around pools or the sea for the first few days it's all good. Don't forget to stick 'Nostalgie FM' on tho. :)

Last edited:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Nimes is lovely, and there is lots to see (and eat) Went there a couple of weeks ago - there is a big carpark by the sports stadium you can stay all day, but not overnight. Cant be sure, but I think it was free. Its about 3 klms from the town, but there are things to see on the way.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I don't want to drive until I fall asleep so we take it fairly easy.
As a (very) rough and easy to remember guide I reckon a river a day.
Day 1 to the Seine
Day 2 Seine to the Loire
Day 3 Loire to the Dordogne
Day 4 Dordogne to the Med.

We don't use peage, cruise at 80-90kph and usually stop on aires.
Enjoy your trip.

Richard.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We're off to France mid March for a couple of weeks and want to find some vaguely warmer weather. How many hours drive from Calais to (say) Nimes? I don't want to be on peages all the time (boring and also expensive) but will take them to avoid bottlenecks. Perhaps driving for max four hours a day at no more than 60mph. A bit vague I know but someone must have done it!
What are you going to do with the other twenty hours in a day:)

I can get south with one overnight....

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Driving up to 7 hours a day on autoroutes wherever possible at 60-70mph I'd say two days, assuming an early start from Calais. That's how we've got to Biarritz and the Camargue anyway.

From what you describe I'd assume at least 3 days and maybe part of a 4th day, especially if you arrive late in Calais.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you aren't going to hit the tarmac 'hard' then 2 weeks isn't long enough to do it justice, you'll just have got there when you'll be thinking of turning round and coming home.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
MinxyGirl has a good point. No good busting a gut if we don't have to. I have to keep reminding myself that motorhoming in France is as much about the journey as it is the destination. We plan all of September in France as we will have retired by then. Maybe we'll leave it until then.

?

Deleted User
What are you going to do with the other twenty hours in a day:)

I can get south with one overnight....
Being a tourist. Even when i go to mainland Europe on a bike ill stick to 4-5 hours riding. Pay for a holiday not a drive, i can do that crap at home.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Mappy website will give you distance, time, fuel estimate and toll charges for any trip. Going down to the Limoges area there are 2 peace routes with a vast difference in cost, so it's worth checking online before you travel.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As with some others.. if we're going south we do it as quickly as possible.
March were off to the pyrenees and will cross using the tunnel and stop at Neufchatel-en-Bray. . Next day we will drive to Pau in one hit only stopping for meals etc.
Were then in a good position to decide where we're going depending on weather.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
MinxyGirl has a good point. No good busting a gut if we don't have to. I have to keep reminding myself that motorhoming in France is as much about the journey as it is the destination. We plan all of September in France as we will have retired by then. Maybe we'll leave it until then.
I do agree that for general touring of France, the journey can also be part of it, but I suppose it depends how much time you want to spend down the med and in the hot sun. We work full-time and want maximum time there and not a huge amount of driving once we're there, this means it's worth us taking a day either end of the hols to belt it.

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Great post, thank you. We have a spare 2 week period and are booking up to go down to Brittany for 2 weeks in June. Our first time abroad in our Van.. Am interested in the comments on here... The Michelin map seems a good tool too.. We don't want to do Peage either, and want to go off route and just look round the countryside. Any other help that helps us newbies will be gratefully rec'd..

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I tend to slog it as fast as I can down to Montreuil-Belay 10Km south of Saumur in one hit. I have a day there then it takes me at least another 2 days to get the rest of the way south. I am not a fan of the north of France. I go Montreuil-Belay because it has a great Aire with some cracking food joints. right next to the river and just under the Chateaux. The restaurant right next to the Aire is a really friendly joint with great food and friendly staff who are happy to help you with your french or practice their English.

I then pick a different route south every single time. I never plan the route and just look for an Aire when I am ready to stop or find somewhere I like. I found some great places this way. Planning is for tuggers....

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Great post, thank you. We have a spare 2 week period and are booking up to go down to Brittany for 2 weeks in June. Our first time abroad in our Van.. Am interested in the comments on here... The Michelin map seems a good tool too.. We don't want to do Peage either, and want to go off route and just look round the countryside. Any other help that helps us newbies will be gratefully rec'd..
Brittany is lovely, however, you probably will find that the weather isn't that much different to the UK. To get some hot, dry weather head at least down to Bordeaux/St Jean de Luz. Temps down south can hit a steady 30 degrees or more after Avignon, Orange etc. So if you do have a change of plan and want the heat, there's some incredibly beautiful places down there. Enjoy whichever :)

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We take three days, Chalon- sur - Champagne, Beaune then Vaison La Romaine.
60 mph using motorways with liber Tag and 250-300 miles per day. Easy driving and we do have the time!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We usually leave Calais at 0100 french time and get down to the Cote d'azure for lunchtime, stopping just before Dijon for an hour or 2 nap in the services, usually just at first light. Love driving thro the night, hit the motorway and don't stop. Usually v tired when we get there, tho that's partly cos we go straight after work. However, for lounging around pools or the sea for the first few days it's all good. Don't forget to stick 'Nostalgie FM' on tho. :)

I would think that after a day at work and then all that driving not only would you be tired ,,i would think you were highly dangerous. BUSBY:(:(:(:(

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Did it once in a day and a half towing a caravan, stopped overnight half way down. My log shows just over 12 hrs. drive time from Calais to Sete.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I would think that after a day at work and then all that driving not only would you be tired ,,i would think you were highly dangerous. BUSBY:(:(:(:(
Not at all. Hubby gets shuteye while we're waiting for chunnel, usually bout 2 hours. Major excited when we get to Calais so spend the time singing and chatting. First sign of fatigue is nearly always just before Dijon and that's when we pull in and kip. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Screenshot_2016-02-06-16-34-26.png

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Interested in this also. Travelling with a 2 year old and a 5 yeat old dictate the miles we can do in a day.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Seems quite reasonable if thats what's best. We do Neufchatel-en-Bray to nice or somewhere down that way in one go.. in march it's pau. Ms sdc77 might even have a drive but I won't hold my breath. (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not at all. Hubby gets shuteye while we're waiting for chunnel, usually bout 2 hours. Major excited when we get to Calais so spend the time singing and chatting. First sign of fatigue is nearly always just before Dijon and that's when we pull in and kip. :)

When working did similar...evening tunnel, drive till approx 4 in morning, sleep for a few hours, arrive Med Coast lunchtime. It avoided summer traffic as well!:)

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We've found minimal toll routes on the west side of France on About-France.com but none down the east side. Has anyone a trunk road route but tolls to avoid the busy bits? Wife wants to see that side as we've done the west side on our trips to the Dordogne.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back