Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Our Chausson only has room for 1 gas bottle in the locker. Inevitably it will expire on a site without refills or whilst cooking. Alternatively we can change it near the end which seems wasteful. What is the consensus about carrying a spare gas bottle in the garage? (Don't want to go down the Gaslow route).

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've gone the Gaslow route, but I would think that as long as the bottle is secured really tightly there should be no problem........ but I suspect someone will come along and say differently...!!!!

Think of should there be a collision whilst driving, is the spare secured and safe.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Our Chausson only has room for 1 gas bottle in the locker. Inevitably it will expire on a site without refills or whilst cooking. Alternatively we can change it near the end which seems wasteful. What is the consensus about carrying a spare gas bottle in the garage? (Don't want to go down the Gaslow route).

That's one of the gripes I have about the chausson I'm getting...
I despair at the logic of the makers, fitting a single exchangeable cylinder ..
Think I will go for underslung tank or if that's not possible get as big a refillable in as possible....
Don't want to take up more space in the garage ...I'm already considering carrying a spare wheel in there as it doesn't come with one... Some of the logic of the manufacturers is lost on me lol
Ta andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
(Don't want to go down the Gaslow route).

It's a very good route, well most of the time. Not quite so good if you want to park up for longer than one cylinder full, which can be under a week in winter but a month in summer.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What is the consensus about carrying a spare gas bottle in the garage?

Just my opinion..

Provided the garage has a gas drop out vent, no electrical equipment, ie 12v lighting, charger, sockets, etc ... and the bottle is securely stored.. ok

I would also ask my insurer .. they may have a different view..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well I have carried a 6Kg cylinder in a locker for years for my BBQ's

Considering that many gas lockers are not properly sealed inside to outside, and some are internal on panel van conversions I wouldn't loose any sleep

The calor gas van that delivers the bottles to our campsite has loads in the back of his van as well lol

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I knew I had read it somewhere..

these regs are for a locker where the bottle is in use.. rather than being transported..but I stick with my first post

BS EN 1949:2002 Installation of LPG Systems – Specification for the installation of LPG systems for habitation purposes in leisure accommodation vehicles and in other road vehicles

http://www.campervanlife.com/campervans/gas-bottles

2. Cylinder Compartment

2.1 Requirements for the construction of the compartment

With the exception of 2.3 below, cylinder compartments shall be sealed from the inside living accommodation part of the vehicle and shall be accessible from the outside of the vehicle only.

LPG cylinder must be positioned away from heat sources (exhaust system) as described in 2.4 below.

The compartment must be designed so that cylinders can be secured rigidly (to prevent cylinder movement when the vehicle is in motion) and in the upright position with the valve uppermost (to ensure only gas [vapour] can be drawn from the cylinder and not liquid LPG). There must be means of securing cylinder/s at both high and low level.

Access to any connections, changeover valves and pressure regulators must not be obstructed.

Replacement of cylinders must be possible without disturbing any installations or ancillary equipment.

Devices to secure cylinders in position must be able to be opened and closed without the use of tools.

No appliances, components or fittings shall be installed in the cylinder compartment that can cause damage the LPG installation or ignite escaping gas. (E.g. batteries or uninsulated electrical components etc.)

2.2 Cylinder compartments accessible from outside the vehicle

Cylinder compartments must be permanently ventilated to the exterior of the vehicle.

If the ventilation is provided only at low level, the ventilated area must be 2% of the compartments floor area, with a minimum of 10,000mm2. (E.g.100mm X 100mm). If the ventilation is provided at both high and low level the ventilated area must be 1% of the floor area, with a minimum of 5,000 mm2 (50mm X 50mm).

It shall not be possible for the cylinder/s to obstruct the ventilation area.

2.3 Cylinder compartments accessible from inside the vehicle

For motor caravans where penetration of a type approved base vehicles bodywork would be required to provide external access, internal access to the cylinder compartment would be permitted providing the following conditions are meet:

The compartment can contain a maximum of two cylinders each having a capacity of not more than 16kg.

Access to the cylinder compartment from the inside living accommodation part of the vehicle is only provided via an attached sealed door or hatch. The bottom of such a door or hatch must be a minimum of 50mm above the floor level of the cylinder compartment.

If the cylinder compartment accessible only from inside of the vehicle cannot be ventilated similarly to that referred to in 2.2 above, the following alternative arrangements must be made:

Ventilation may be provided by a single duct providing the following measures are taken:

Only one cylinder may be installed with a maximum of 7 kg.

The duct shall have a minimum diameter of 20 mm.

The maximum length of the duct shall not exceed 5 times the internal diameter of the duct, but may be extended to 10 times the internal duct diameter to avoid interference with under-floor flue outlets.

The duct shall be at low level in the floor and resistant to LPG.

The duct shall fall throughout its entire length to the outside of the vehicle.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But the question was about carrying a spare, unconnected bottle in a locker, The regulation doesn't mention that or for that example a Camping Gaz container for a Cadac or a CalorLite bottle for a BBQ or take it to the extreme the small gas cannisters so popular now.

Also frankly most gas bottles are fixed down using plastic brackets, them selves fixed bysmall self tappers or rivets though thin gauge aluminium, and a thin cheap bit of webbing so absolutely no use in a crash

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I have carried a calor lite in my locker for backup also a small stove with disposal can esters. No problem

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a single Gaslow 11kg cylinder in our Chausson. We have diesel water and space heating.
Despite having a refillable, we have done 2 weeks abroad and not needed to refill during our trip. In fact, we had about 30% left.
The fridge and cooking use very little gas compared to heating.
Is your heating and hot water diesel fired? It would explain why Chausson didn't bother with a twin cylinder locker.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just my opinion..

Provided the garage has a gas drop out vent, no electrical equipment, ie 12v lighting, charger, sockets, etc ... and the bottle is securely stored.. ok

I would also ask my insurer .. they may have a different view..
Spot on Jim, garages are sealed to the outside world but often not to the habitaion area.

Reactions: f6c

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Spot on Jim, garages are sealed to the outside world but often not to the habitaion area.

.. also, many have duct air heating .. a duct that could also vent leaking gas back into the Truma when it's lit for heating water.. .

yes, I know .. very low risk.. but worth being aware of..

like others, I have broken lots of safety rules .. for example, carried Calor bottles in the car boot.. I knew the risk and was prepared to take it..

but when giving advice you can only advise to the best of your knowledge what is safe and legal.. not what you have done or not done and got away with..

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I always carry a spare in my garage, usually wedged between bikes. I also carry a large bottle of gas in my work van for roofing work, sometimes I have to roll that one out of the way to make way for other tools.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I too carry a spare bottle in the garage. It's no different to carrying a bottle in the back of a works van.

as said by Gus .. . different regulations and different risks

do you sleep, cook, shower etc in your works van.. ?

didn't think so.. so it's a lot different..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not read any mention of an lpg warning sticker on the garage/locker door. essential info for the fire fighters attending any accident

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a European bottle and two calor bottles.. one is always in the garage. There is a sticker on the garage door.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
not read any mention of an lpg warning sticker on the garage/locker door. essential info for the fire fighters attending any accident

not mentioned but it was in the link...

UK

In the UK vehicles being used for work purposes have to show stickers indicating the vehicle is carrying compressed gas. If the vehicle is not being used for work, i.e. a camper van, you do NOT have to show the stickers.

However, it is considered good practice to have the stickers if you are carrying compressed gas. The fire brigade find great benefit in seeing the sticker if there should be a road accident, as it helps them contain the incident more quickly. But, only show the sticker when you are carrying gas, otherwise the fire brigade will be miss lead.

Note: If you are showing the gas sticker on your vehicle, expect to get stopped occasionally by the police when they check how you gas is stored.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I always carry a spare in my garage, usually wedged between bikes. I also carry a large bottle of gas in my work van for roofing work, sometimes I have to roll that one out of the way to make way for other tools.

I too carry a spare bottle in the garage. It's no different to carrying a bottle in the back of a works van.

"Cube" gas bottle in the garage ..... Just the job the corners stop it going too far !

Just because you do it, does not mean it is safe and you shouldn't be giving the ideas to others.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My 33' van runs on LPG with a massive under slung gas tank. My fridge and freezer run on LPG when driving from another massive under slung gas tank

My piddly little 6Kg BBQ bottle is little more than a gas lighter re-filler by comparison

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Why do people apply installation regs to carriage? Adds to confusion, but keeps H & S industry employed.
What happened to common sense.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we had a Chausson we could only put one bottle in the locker too, but fortunately we already had a large Gaslow cylinder and pipework from our previous MH so I just transferred it all to the new one. Our Chausson's heating was powered by diesel that cut down the need for a large amount of gas, so just using it for cooking and the fridge meant it lasted a long time.

We never carried a spare non-refillable (eg Calor) type cylinder as we never need it BUT if we hadn't had the refillable already, and hadn't wanted to go down that route, my preference would have been to see if I could alter the existing locker so that it would take 2, or create another locker/secure store, within the garage so a spare gas cylinder could be safely transported so that it is sealed from the interior and has drop vents for any leaking gas to escape, and can't move around. What people don't always realise is that some Chaussons have a height adjustable rear bed so the garage isn't sealed from the habitation area due to the bed having to be able to move up/down, so isn't like other MHs with garages which are totally, or much better, sealed from the interior (excusing doors/hatches through to the interior).

The problem as I see it isn't so much the risk in a collision as a gas cylinder stored in a garage can be put in a suitable less affected area (ie not near the outside walls/rear) but if it starts to leak. In a 'better sealed' garage you could end up with the garage itself filling with gas which would be very unfortunately if you then opened it, or it was ignited, in a 'less sealed' garage such as some Chaussons the gas could flood into the habitation area too ...

My advice therefore is if you are transporting gas cylinders in anything other than the original gas locker take the time to make a 'locker' for it with suitable escape vents and metal lining - it obviously doesn't need to have the pipes fed into it if you intend to still swap the cylinders round so not a major thing to make but could save your life. Do NOT take risks with gas.

Oh, just a thought, if you DO store it in the garage and it causes a fire/explosion I don't think your insurance company would pay out ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back