solar panel prefere not fixed (1 Viewer)

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
we have warwick duo van but if we see something we like better we coauld change.so dont want to pay out and have one fixed.is there one out there that is transferable or a freestanding alternative,ideas please you helpfull lot.ta

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A fixed panel isnt a problem.
If you want to remove it you could either leave the mounting brackets on the roof and buy new ones for the new van, they arent expensive, or if they are glued on simply cut them off with a length of piano wire as a saw.

A fee standing panel will need good security....chained to the van etc....they do disappear if left unattended.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A cheese wire off eBay or make your own. Cuts under the mounts and sealants in seconds. :) go fixed if it was me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Hi, we do have a folding solar panel and it has worked well. We like to park in the shade and having a non fixed panel means that we can move it around to get the best sunlight while we are still in the shade. We bought it online and made a plug that feeds straight into our leisure battery, it came with stupid clips which attach to the battery. We also have lengthened the cable to give us more room to maneuver. Below is a photo of our panel when we first used it. You can see that all we do is unfold it and plug it into the socket we made on the side of the van. They are not expensive, we ordered ours from Australia and it was delivered to Holland where our motorhome lives. Hopes this helps.
P1000572.JPG

Reactions: Jim
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I too use a free-standing panel. I started with one as in the photo above, the advantage to me was similar that I could park in the shade and still get the panel in the sun. Fair enough it is deployed for less time than a fixed panel, but when it is out it is pointed and angled to the sun. I have mine feeding the batteries through an LR1218 on the Elektroblok.

Aside from having to put it outside and the risk of it being stolen, the other disadvantage I found was that it was quite heavy. I still do have that panel but more recently I have been using one of the semi-flexible panels and 100W is thin, light, easily handled and stores behind the settee cushion. There is no frame as on the suitcase version, but I can usually prop it up to face the sun. The other advantage I have found with this is that I can fit it through the wind-up roof vent on my Hymer, so if the MH is in the sun I can deploy it without the risk of theft. I think it is pretty stable in the wind, but I would take it in if I thought conditions were to be especially windy.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi too have just bought a folding panel and would like to know please ..can I plug it into the cigar sockets that are already fitted in the hab area to charge just the leisure battery...Roy

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi too have just bought a folding panel and would like to know please ..can I plug it into the cigar sockets that are already fitted in the hab area to charge just the leisure battery...Roy
Not if the socket is dead with the ignition OFF unless modified it will be off

Edit I see you said hab area yes they should be live and ok

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not if the socket is dead with the ignition OFF unless modified it will be off

Edit I see you said hab area yes they should be live and ok

Thanks techno that's what I thought but felt it best to ask. Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We have both fixed and portable 100w panels. The freestanding panel is much more efficient due to the angle and with a long cable you can chase the sun. I plug it into the van via a din plug and socket mounted in the mains input box and then onto the solar controller. The big downside is it is heavy and bulky but does come in a robust carry case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back