Has anyone successfully used an unlocked R215 mifi with a Three SIM? (1 Viewer)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have just purchased a used unlocked R215 4G Vodafone mifi. It is definitely unlocked as it accepts my Three network mobile internet SIM (which works in my 3G mifi unit). I have not been able to get a connection to the internet on the Three netwok. I have dabbled with the connection settings to no avail.

Has anyone successfully used an R215 on the Three network or been aple to flash the device with original Huawei firmware?

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks, I have looked at the APN. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I need to flash the Huawei firmware to replace the Vodafone variant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
As minx said on that device you have to enter the correct apn and password for relevant sim.
APN: 3internet
Username: [leave blank]
Password: [leave blank]
If you have no luck I'll try mine when I'm home and get back..but that's likely to be Monday. .. hopefully you will be sorted by then..
Ta andy
P's there is another box that requires a number in it... forget what it's labeled but it won't work without it been completed.. think I used 8080 and got sorted with that... from memory lol..

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Andy @andy63 I have still not fathomed the full setup for the unlocked R215. It wil be very helpful if you let me know all the settings on yours.
Many thanks,
Chris

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
"User who want to remove Vodafone branding totally, can update the firmware with Huawei E5372."
Quote from link above.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy @andy63 I have still not fathomed the full setup for the unlocked R215. It wil be very helpful if you let me know all the settings on yours.
Many thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris. .
I've just put my 3 data sim in the unlocked Vodafone mobile Wi fi that I got a last year... It's working straight away so I must have set it up with the 3 sim a while back and forgotten .
Anyway a screen shot of the relevant admin page may help you..(Link Removed ) then under mobile broadband and the sub menu on the left click connections... Make sure your boxes look like the ones in the attached shot and hopefully it will work...
Screenshot_2016-01-31-14-34-18.png

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
You will see that the apn that works in mine is the word ''everywhere'' and not 3 Internet as I posted earlier before I got home and had a look..
Was right about the 8080 number required in the box below that so I'm not altogether senile yet lol..
Hope you get sorted..
Andy
P's I'm actually using the device to post all this so it is connected and working..
If the signal strength displayed on the unit ia red that would indicate your signal is not good enough... ramble over lol..

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Andy, @andy63 I drove to a location with a 3G signal this morning and the R215 mifi connected immediately to the Three network using your settings. Many thanks for your help (y) Fingers crossed it will work on 'Feel at Home' roaming in Spain.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy, @andy63 I drove to a location with a 3G signal this morning and the R215 mifi connected immediately to the Three network using your settings. Many thanks for your help (y) Fingers crossed it will work on 'Feel at Home' roaming in Spain.
Thanks for getting back Chris. .
I'm more puzzled now..
I've had my sim in 3 mifi units now and im fairly certain I've got different apn info in each and it works in them all (n).. see what you've started :LOL:.. I'll be trying to grt to the bottom of that..
Pleased you're sorted...and have a great time in Spain with or without wifi.
Ta andy

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I've had my sim in 3 mifi units now and im fairly certain I've got different apn info in each and it works in them all (n).. see what you've started :LOL:.. I'll be trying to grt to the bottom of that.

It is a mystery as my Huawei E5336 3G mifi works on different settings to the R215. The only reason I bought the R215 was to enable me to connect an external antenna :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
'3' has different APN settings - when we used to be with them for our main broadband and were having problems they'd tell us of other ones to try to see if the connection was better, there was one for MIFIs/dongles, and at least one for phones but they weren't exclusive to that type of equipment so a phone one could be used with our MIFI (E5776)

mhb

Free Member
Mar 7, 2016
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm just about to take delivery of one of these unlocked Vodafone MiFi units and I 'm intending to use it with an already owned EE PAYG SIM. What seems confusing to me is how the APN 'everywhere', which I believe is unique to EE, can possibly allow connection to the 3 Network. Can anyone throw any light on this situation?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm just about to take delivery of one of these unlocked Vodafone MiFi units and I 'm intending to use it with an already owned EE PAYG SIM. What seems confusing to me is how the APN 'everywhere', which I believe is unique to EE, can possibly allow connection to the 3 Network. Can anyone throw any light on this situation?
It can't, you need to change the APN settings when you get the MIFI. I've got one of those and have done it without a problem.

Start the MIFI first with the original sim if it came with one to ensure it works okay, if not just put in the '3' sim - see my posting #26 on the below thread, although it's a different model of MIFI the method is the same:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...-do-i-need-with-it.125242/page-2#post-1752431

mhb

Free Member
Mar 7, 2016
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would have agreed with you Minxy Girl but connecting to 3 Network whilst having APN set to 'everywhere' seems to be what is happening for both andy63 and Flamenca! I'll just have to suck it and see when I get mine tomorrow.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would have agreed with you Minxy Girl but connecting to 3 Network whilst having APN set to 'everywhere' seems to be what is happening for both andy63 and Flamenca! I'll just have to suck it and see when I get mine tomorrow.
It could be that they now come with some pre-installed software that can now automatically detect and set-up the MIFI to use other sims, or it could be that the unit has the APNs 'hidden' in it somewhere and it is using those ... if it works I wouldn't worry!

mhb

Free Member
Mar 7, 2016
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well, my unlocked Ex Vodafone Huawei E5372 R215 MiFi arrived lunchtime today (a day early). Using an online manual from the site below, I've quite quickly and painlessly set it up to work with my EE SIM.

https://vodafone.intelliresponse.co...3779f2aad9d3&question=Pocket+WiFi+user+guides

The only settings I needed to input are as follows.
APN = everywhere
Number = 8080
Username = eesecure
Password = secure

Hope this helps somebody else.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
In answer to the OP Yes,i am posting this thanks to this thread and help from Colin @CherryPirate after trying for 2 weeks off and on and with so called help from 3 tech dept. I LOVE THIS FORUM:)(y):)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
We received our CarPhoneWarehouse Huawei wifi on Monday and phoned up EE as it was being problematic and needed to cancel, explaining I needed a PAYG for a mh which I did not use every month. Eventually managed to register and it began to work. It accepted the 3 sim out my 3G without a murmur. I re-installed the Ee sim on the Tuesday and found again it was not working. I phoned them up and they had cancelled the whole contract. Bargain free Huawei. Thanks MG.

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

My R215 mifi was working using 'everywhere' on the Three network in UK but since arriving in Spain I have had to change it to:

4G Preferred
IPv4+IPv6
APN: 3internet
Number: 8080
Security: PAP;CHAP

DuncanJM

Free Member
Feb 5, 2017
Shrops
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Chris. .
I've just put my 3 data sim in the unlocked Vodafone mobile Wi fi that I got a last year... It's working straight away so I must have set it up with the 3 sim a while back and forgotten .
Anyway a screen shot of the relevant admin page may help you..(Link Removed ) then under mobile broadband and the sub menu on the left click connections... Make sure your boxes look like the ones in the attached shot and hopefully it will work...
View attachment 91531
You are a star. Been working on this all day. Fixed now - Cheers

Duncan

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
You are a star. Been working on this all day. Fixed now - Cheers

Duncan
Youer welcome Duncan ...
Pleased you are sorted... those sort of problems are so fustrating..
it is worth joining as a paid up member... the information available from members on all aspects of motorhome life is worth the £15.
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back