Does LPG burn hotter than Calor Gas? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We had gaslow fitted last week,and this morning we used the Motorhome for the first time to cook
breakfast and have the heating on.:)
My question is does Lpg burn better than Calor gas as the Motorhome seemed to heat up quicker and
I cooked breakfast alot quicker than I normally do!:)
Or is it just my imagination?o_O

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never noticed it. Mind you we used Calor in our first van and LPG in the current one so not a true comparison.

I believe butane burns hotter than propane as toast does better on one of those stand up wire toasters on a butane hob.

OP
OP
Jo662
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I think what the OP is querying is the potential for a different mix between Calor and Autogas, which might make one burn hotter.
Yes thats exactly what Im asking!:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Calor can be either Butane (blue bottle) or propane (red bottle), Propane used to run hotter as it was run at higher pressure. Now we run both at 30 mb Butane has a higher calorific value therefore it will run hotter.
However we need to take temperature into consideration, Propane continues to gas of down to -40, Butane stops gassing off at 0 deg., in practice Butane is almost unusable below about 5 deg and in practice flow rate starts to drop around 10 deg, so at this time of year Propane will out perform Butane.
Autogas in the UK is 100% other countries it is a Butane/Propane mix depending on time of year.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I've never noticed it. Mind you we used Calor in our first van and LPG in the current one so not a true comparison.

I believe butane burns hotter than propane as toast does better on one of those stand up wire toasters on a butane hob.
Would this be the reverse then. As Autogas is propane?

OP
OP
Jo662
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Calor can be either Butane (blue bottle) or propane (red bottle), Propane used to run hotter as it was run at higher pressure. Now we run both at 30 mb Butane has a higher calorific value therefore it will run hotter.
However we need to take temperature into consideration, Propane continues to gas of down to -40, Butane stops gassing off at 0 deg., in practice Butane is almost unusable below about 5 deg and in practice flow rate starts to drop around 10 deg, so at this time of year Propane will out perform Butane.
Autogas in the UK is 100% other countries it is a Butane/Propane mix depending on time of year.

Ok,well mines hotter anyway!:rofl:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
For info. calor gas sell both propane and butane and autogas. but autogas can be a mix of both. It is worth noting that a lot of people are using butane regulators 28-30mb with propane. Propane regs and normaly 38mb. So if you please check that the reg. is the right one. It is also quite possible to have a propane reg 38mb on butane. This will give out more heat. but may course problems

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Since 2004 all motorhomes have to run at 30mbar across the whole of Europe. As described above autogas is just a butane/propane mix and Calor is either propane (red cylinder) or butane (blue cylinder). The calorific values differ but for most of the year there is little practical difference. In winter you need propane.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just for info.
I have in the past used a cylinder fitted with a Butane Reg when the cylinder had propane in it.(Don't Ask)
It seemed to make no difference whatsoever despite the supposed difference in assumed pressures.
I would add that this was on an outside gas hob being used outdoors.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
For the last 40 years we've been using Butane and Propane Calor Gas cylinders and as far as I'm aware there is no way you can run a butane cylinder on a propane regulator and vice versa.

Joe

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For the last 40 years we've been using Butane and Propane Calor Gas cylinders and as far as I'm aware there is no way you can run a butane cylinder on a propane regulator and vice versa.

Joe
Why not, providing you have adaptors, we all now run both at 30mb, a bit low for propane & slightly higher than the old butane regulatrs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back