Care of powder coated alloy wheels (1 Viewer)

spindrifter

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
Hi All

Advice please - I've just had my powder coated alloy wheels (which were flaking badly), stripped and re-coated and now have 4 very nice wheels.

What is the best way to clean and care for them.

Thanks

David..................(Spindrifter)

Bugsy

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
My other half says just to use soap and water.:thumb: Don't use any chemical based wheel cleaners!:Eeek:

Cheers
Toni

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
stack 'em in a neat pile in your garage and cover them with a tarporline....stay nice for years.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
spindrifter

spindrifter

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Funster No
Thanks papajohn, I'll try the tarporline (Tarpaulin) trick you've suggested!:ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
David Pappajohns method sounds good. Think of the fuel savings with wheels in the garage :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
ask the guys who powder coated them !

I deal in cleaning chemicals, but wouldn't like to comment on this, except to say, mildly acidic products are proberbly better than caustic (base) products like TFR (traffic film remover) as these will strip oils out of plastic, leaving them dry and brital

The other day i saw a product called alloy wheel protector (think it was an holts product), I only had a quick look at it but suspect it was a silicone spray like back to black, again i wouldn't recommend this as the silicone oil will soften the powder coating

also worth mentioning if this product is silicone, spraying it onto your wheels where the over spray will go on to your discs, not good, i'll go back and look at it again

good luck with finding a suitable product

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
.................proberbly better than caustic (base) products like TFR (traffic film remover) as these will strip oils out of plastic, leaving them dry and brital

good luck with finding a suitable product

Could you perhaps give more information/advise about this please?
Personally, I've always been a bit sceptical of using TFR on 'vans and wont use it myself, but a close friend of mine is fanatical about this stuff and uses it with EVERY wash of his caravan!
If he's doing the wrong thing, I'd like to know.

Cheers.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back