Maximise your mobile data !! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I use 'Opera Mini' web browser on my phablet. It is an excellent way to make your data allowance go further (especially when abroad!).

Sometimes it is necessary to use the 'high' setting for some websites but generally I use the 'extreme setting which uses about 90% less data then the usual browsers (yes, really!)

Also if you use '3' on PAYG then only top up £5 at a time and you will be credited with 150mb free! (30 day limit) then when you have done this 4 times you can buy the unlimited 'Add-on' for 30 days (includes 300 minutes and 3000 texts too).

I find sometimes that the free 150mb bundles are enough for a week or so.

We have been away for nearly 3 weeks and only just starting on the 4th top-up.

'Look after the pennies' ............

:)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks, will give it a try.

In a similar vein if uploading photographs to this site, reduce them in size first before doing so. I use Photo Resizer by Xllusion but there are others which probably work just as well, This app will reduce the image file down from several MBs to a few hundred KBs depending on how much you shrink them. You don't lose any quality as the forum software does this anyway.

You might also find as you can with my camera, if you transfer the images wirelessly to the tablet you can set it only to transfer a reduced image size. The original still stays on the SD card to download when you get back home.

And of course don't have auto update of apps enabled!

Edit: Just had a quick play with Photo & Picture Resizer by Farluner and it looks good, with a neat feature which allows you to crop the image which Photoresizer doesn't have. The ad-free version is £2.99 otherwise free.

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks guys, that's handy to know. I could do with a photo resizer DBK, as I send my mum a weekly email with quite a few photos in and sometimes it won't send because the pics are too big.

Reactions: DBK

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi @Armytwowheels if you use a I pad ( I don't know if it's available in other formats) I use
Image Size, it's really simple and was free when I got it. Photo of app.
image.jpg

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If you have iPhone, and I think you can get this for Android, theres an app called Onovo extend. This is avon and saves data. The beauty of it is that everything you do on your phone goes through it so you don't have to remember to use it when browsing or anything else. There is graph which shows you how much data you are using. Its free too.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Maximise it by switching the thing off on holiday.. !

BtoRd-yCQAAyFjk.jpg
Maps, weather forecasts, local information, aire apps and geotagging photos all need data as well as an occasional look at the news. I count my iPhone a valuable tool which aids and enhances my travels. I probably make calls four or five times a month but use data services daily for the above which is why I leave it switched on.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Maps, weather forecasts, local information, aire apps and geotagging photos all need data as well as an occasional look at the news. I count my iPhone a valuable tool which aids and enhances my travels. I probably make calls four or five times a month but use data services daily for the above which is why I leave it switched on.

Yes, of course they do.. it was tongue in cheek.. but there are some who can't tear themselves away from social media..

in saying that, I switch off roaming when abroad and only have a phone with me for emergencies.. don't need it for anything else ..

for me, going away means getting away.. which harks back to my days when employed and on 'standby' 24/7 so always tied to a pager and then a mobile phone .. retiring meant casting off these shackles..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I use 'Opera Mini' web browser on my phablet. It is an excellent way to make your data allowance go further (especially when abroad!).
I've just installed it, and given it a try. It's really quite slow compared to Firefox or Chrome on web browsing, but maybe that's the price to pay to keep data usage down.

If you have iPhone, and I think you can get this for Android, theres an app called Onovo extend.
Again, just installed it and tried it out on the Android tablet, but like the Dutch Camper Contact App, it only works in portrait mode, and not in landscape mode. :(

Thanks anyway to both contributors. (y)

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I've just installed it, and given it a try. It's really quite slow compared to Firefox or Chrome on web browsing, but maybe that's the price to pay to keep data usage down.

Again, just installed it and tried it out on the Android tablet, but like the Dutch Camper Contact App, it only works in portrait mode, and not in landscape mode. :(

Thanks anyway to both contributors. (y)

have look at the settings of your device. I haven't got an Android tablet, but Onovo shouldn't make any difference to whether you can view pages in portrait or landscape. You could try their help pages they are quite helpful.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
have look at the settings of your device.
Thanks Ian,

They settings are set for "screen auto rotation".

If I didn't keep my tablet in a stand alone case, using it in the portrait mode wouldn't be a problem, nor if I was using a smart phone.

Cheers,

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks Ian,

They settings are set for "screen auto rotation".

If I didn't keep my tablet in a stand alone case, using it in the portrait mode wouldn't be a problem, nor if I was using a smart phone.

Cheers,

Sorry cannot help further with that. Suggest you try their help desk. I think you can email them too, good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back