Pont de L'Archie ! (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2015
Nr Wick at the top of the Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
Just want to warn anyone contemplating stopping at the Pont de L'archie aire that we stopped last night and left in the very early hours - a group of between 6-8 young men very obviously doing drug dealing from the lovely aire , cars in and out of the motorhome section while getting their deals and the yobs were round trying to see inside our camper very unnerving and intimidating! The local police must know what is going on and yet didnt come around once. so be warned not such a nice place to stay which is a shame x

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
that is a shame, we have stayed there a few times, usually see a police car drive through at some point which was more reassuring than unnerving, not been aware of any trouble at all

we were looking at there or somewhere new for week after next, looks like its somewhere new, had a couple of recommendations further down the Seine

thanks for the heads up (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
cars in and out of the motorhome section while getting their deals and the yobs were round trying to see inside our camper very unnerving and intimidating!

Probably wanted to see if you wanted some...:whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Just want to warn anyone contemplating stopping at the Pont de L'archie aire that we stopped last night and left in the very early hours - a group of between 6-8 young men very obviously doing drug dealing from the lovely aire , cars in and out of the motorhome section while getting their deals and the yobs were round trying to see inside our camper very unnerving and intimidating! The local police must know what is going on and yet didnt come around once. so be warned not such a nice place to stay which is a shame x

That's a shame, we've stayed a few times and its been fine but also passed by several times (before it was revamped) and the car park had been completely taken over with gypsies.

There is an aire nearby at Le Vaudreuil which we used once as an alternative but its nothing special.

Pete

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
St Nicolas de Bliquetuit and Mailleraye-sur-Seine have both been suggested to me, probably going to use one on the way down the other on the way back up (y)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
La M
St Nicolas de Bliquetuit and Mailleraye-sur-Seine have both been suggested to me, probably going to use one on the way down the other on the way back up (y)

La Mailleraye is one of our favourite aires but it is quite a detour if you are just passing through the area on you way south.
However, if the weather is good a couple of days there gets one into the relaxed holiday mode and makes the detour worthwhile. :)

Richard.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Can you tell me where (town) it is please. I'll give a call to the police and make sure they are aware of this.

Frankie:)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
La M

La Mailleraye is one of our favourite aires but it is quite a detour if you are just passing through the area on you way south.
However, if the weather is good a couple of days there gets one into the relaxed holiday mode and makes the detour worthwhile. :)

Richard.

I am looking at going down via Le Mans instead of our usual Evreux / Dreux / Chartres for a change, picking up the N10 around Tours and back to normal route, looks to be similar mileage, but we are on holiday :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
@DavidG58 - be aware that the Aire in Le Mans isn't enormous and gets rammed. Alongside the river - the bank is through the hedge but when we went, plenty of gaps in the hedge and at the time from inside the van, you did get a lovely view. Over the bridge and you are smack into the old part of the town without even trying - and it's interesting! Lovely place.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
@DavidG58 - be aware that the Aire in Le Mans isn't enormous and gets rammed. Alongside the river - the bank is through the hedge but when we went, plenty of gaps in the hedge and at the time from inside the van, you did get a lovely view. Over the bridge and you are smack into the old part of the town without even trying - and it's interesting! Lovely place.

This is a nice aire just a few miles south of Le Mans which might just fit the bill. Copied this from my French blog of 2014:-

By 9:30 we are mobile and and heading for La Suze-sur-Sarthe, just to the south of Le Mans. The roads are virtually empty and it is a lovely drive, even the ring road around Le Mans is quiet. We arrive at our aire (GPS 47°53’21.45″N 0°01’50.74″E) just before 12 and there is plenty of space to park overlooking the river. Again it is 5€ per night, this time by getting a ticket from a machine.

Aire at La Suze-sur-Sarthe

La Suze-sur-Sarthe

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This is a nice aire just a few miles south of Le Mans which might just fit the bill. Copied this from my French blog of 2014:-

La Suze-sur-Sarthe

Thanks for that, I know the area from going to the Le Mans 24 hours for many years, there is a really nice patisserie at the end of the Mulsanne straight, will definitely be calling there, depending on time of day this could be a nice stop, not used to paying for aires, but need to review that :)

Reactions: kip
OP
OP
PeterandNicole
Sep 28, 2015
Nr Wick at the top of the Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
Well if it is of any use to anyone we stopped last night at the Ste Maure de Touraine 2, aire out of all the aires book and it is simply delightful, up a little back lane there is nothing around except peace lol, it is 4 euros a night and that includes free wifi and electric, water and waste disposal along with showers are extra but not extortionate ! The gentleman who runs it is lovely and just delighted to help in any way he can. We came for one night and have ended up staying two cos now my poor hubby is full of the flu I am just kicking off !

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

By 9:30 we are mobile and and heading for La Suze-sur-Sarthe, just to the south of Le Mans. The roads are virtually empty and it is a lovely drive, even the ring road around Le Mans is quiet. We arrive at our aire (GPS 47°53’21.45″N 0°01’50.74″E) just before 12 and there is plenty of space to park overlooking the river. Again it is 5€ per night, this time by getting a ticket from a machine.

Aire at La Suze-sur-Sarthe

La Suze-sur-Sarthe
We have stayed on this aire when coming north to Calais at least 6 times . It's never full( July August but the empty / water unit is often overflowing boats use It ithink too. Walk into small village with 3 bars and a convenience Carrefor and patisseries and a butchers. A huge municipal site behind but has less people staying than the aire

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
my poor hubby is full of the flu I am just kicking off !

Please be gentle with him, it's probably a serious case of 'flu d'homme' he'll need intensive care, could you posssibly pick up a french maid's outfit to assist in his recovery ? :LOL:
Mind you, I got food poisoning from seafood I got at a beachside restaurant at Gravelines aire a couple of years back, that was no fun, it was a close run thing whether the cassette was going to have enough capacity before I picked up:eek:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Please be gentle with him, it's probably a serious case of 'flu d'homme' he'll need intensive care, could you posssibly pick up a french maid's outfit to assist in his recovery ? :LOL:
Mind you, I got food poisoning from seafood I got at a beachside restaurant at Gravelines aire a couple of years back, that was no fun, it was a close run thing whether the cassette was going to have enough capacity before I picked up:eek:
That's why we now have two cassettes had to empty one at the boulogne aire a couple of years ago at 2am as I was empting a guy going to work called out Bonjour as he walked past nearly needed the cassette there and then

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back