New, still looking for a clue... (1 Viewer)

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
Hi All

Paul, from Newtownabbey 'ere and I'm looking for a motorhome or campervan.

I have camped and motorbiked for many years. Many moons ago I enjoyed windsurfing with my mate in his 1972 VW Devon camper. This was pure joy. Turn key, drive, escape......

Fast forward a few years and my wife and I have 4 kids under 7. We do have a 6 berth caravan but, my wife won't tow the beast and packing seems to take days. So any spontaneity seems to have been lost and I now find myself looking for a info on a van. Hopefully, a more convenient solution?

All hints and tips will be gratefully received.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun, you'll get loads of good advice here. First thing I'd do is start another thread and ask specific questions and suggest a budget and layout your thinking of then people can answer and give you ideas.

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
Thanks Lorger, I'll do just that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi All

Paul, from Newtownabbey 'ere and I'm looking for a motorhome or campervan.

I have camped and motorbiked for many years. Many moons ago I enjoyed windsurfing with my mate in his 1972 VW Devon camper. This was pure joy. Turn key, drive, escape......

Fast forward a few years and my wife and I have 4 kids under 7. We do have a 6 berth caravan but, my wife won't tow the beast and packing seems to take days. So any spontaneity seems to have been lost and I now find myself looking for a info on a van. Hopefully, a more convenient solution?

All hints and tips will be gratefully received.
Hi Bongo, I don't want to rain on your parade but with 4 young kids in tow you can't do spontaneity now ... packing a MH won't take any less time than a caravan and you then won't have a separate vehicle to tootle around in once set up on site so you'd end up packing-up the camper again and again just to go visit somewhere.

A possible alternative might be to get a day-van so you can have good days out with some facilities but without the expense of a large MH - you may find then that towing the caravan isn't so frightening for your wife when being pulled by a van rather than a car.

Reactions: DBK

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've raised six kids, had tents, caravans and motorhomes.. and frankly, I don't think a motorhome is your solution..

with four young kids a caravan is far more practical.. both caravan and motorhome need packing, so no difference there .. and on site, with a caravan you have a car for day trips.. kids don't like travelling or moving every day.. they much prefer being on sites and out playing..

a big six berth motorhome does not make a good day van .. every time you want to go out to the beach or shops you have to pack up..

that's just my personal experience..

Reactions: DBK
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I've raised six kids, had tents, caravans and motorhomes.. and frankly, I don't think a motorhome is your solution..

with four young kids a caravan is far more practical.. both caravan and motorhome need packing, so no difference there .. and on site, with a caravan you have a car for day trips.. kids don't like travelling or moving every day.. they much prefer being on sites and out playing..

a big six berth motorhome does not make a good day van .. every time you want to go out to the beach or shops you have to pack up..

I am with Jim on this, we had a 6 berth motorhome with 6 seatbelts, took maximum 3 grandchildren at a time,I drove the motorhome John took his car so we could have days out, we also had an awning as a 'play area' on wet days and to keep them safe from the cooking area and so as not too have them, or us, feel too cramped. Worked out ok for the occasional break, but had we been doing it frequently a car and caravan would have been much more suitable. Not to my taste, but more convenient and less hassle. Am sure others will have different ideas though.

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
Hi Bongo, I don't want to rain on your parade but with 4 young kids in tow you can't do spontaneity now ... packing a MH won't take any less time than a caravan and you then won't have a separate vehicle to tootle around in once set up on site so you'd end up packing-up the camper again and again just to go visit somewhere.

A possible alternative might be to get a day-van so you can have good days out with some facilities but without the expense of a large MH - you may find then that towing the caravan isn't so frightening for your wife when being pulled by a van rather than a car.

Hi Minxy Girl, thanks for that. I suspected packing might not be much quicker, I just needed a motorhome owner to say it! Lol

Good point about the setting up and tootling about, I hadn't thought of that. We usually go firm then cycle for supplies if we need to. Exploring a day van might give us the he best of both worlds.....?

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991

Hi Jimlad
Some sage advice here, many thanks!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Minxy Girl, thanks for that. I suspected packing might not be much quicker, I just needed a motorhome owner to say it! Lol

Good point about the setting up and tootling about, I hadn't thought of that. We usually go firm then cycle for supplies if we need to. Exploring a day van might give us the he best of both worlds.....?
Yes ... there's a BIG clue in your username about what may be a suitable day van ....:rolleyes:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've 3 kids. 21,19,19.
They don't come anymore , can't now we've downsized !
Though they've told us they are coming , with tents, in the summer:drinks::gum:
If it took you so long to pack a caravan , It'll be just the same with a MH.
Sorry. We had it down to a fine art. We didn't do , and still don't do clutter.
Each child had a lidded box. Anything they wanted to take had to go in that, and they packed it. Clothes down to me...
Most important thing for you , with such young kids , is seat belts. Followed by sleeping arrangements .
I don't know your budget, but you'll probably blow it , we did by 12k on our first MH. :whatthe: But we got it right first time , and loved the freedom it gave us. We never regretted not having a car to get about in. We didn't stay in one place longer than a few days. If you plan on doing that , you may as well have a caravan.
Welcome to the forum btw.

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
I am with Jim on this, we had a 6 berth motorhome with 6 seatbelts, took maximum 3 grandchildren at a time,I drove the motorhome John took his car so we could have days out, we also had an awning as a 'play area' on wet days and to keep them safe from the cooking area and so as not too have them, or us, feel too cramped. Worked out ok for the occasional break, but had we been doing it frequently a car and caravan would have been much more suitable. Not to my taste, but more convenient and less hassle. Am sure others will have different ideas though.

Hi Scotzsue
The play awning sounds like an excellent idea, I'll look into that. A day van might just be the way fwd. cheers folks!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Hi Scotzsue
The play awning sounds like an excellent idea, I'll look into that. A day van might just be the way fwd. cheers folks!
Do they do day vans with 6 seat belts.?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Bongo :pink: Take your time read the forum lots of ideas hidden in the search engine, though I see you have now used up your 5 free posts so unless you become an annual member £15 you won't be able to make any more posts, it's really worth joining for research on sites rally's and discounts, as you can see from the response to your question already, whatever you choose have fun.

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
Yes ... there's a BIG clue in your username about what may be a suitable day van ....:rolleyes:
Lol, I hadn't thought of that!

My daughter has just started playing bongos and my preferred user name was already in use, hence Bongo!?

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
We've 3 kids. 21,19,19.
They don't come anymore , can't now we've downsized !
Though they've told us they are coming , with tents, in the summer:drinks::gum:
If it took you so long to pack a caravan , It'll be just the same with a MH.
Sorry. We had it down to a fine art. We didn't do , and still don't do clutter.
Each child had a lidded box. Anything they wanted to take had to go in that, and they packed it. Clothes down to me...
Most important thing for you , with such young kids , is seat belts. Followed by sleeping arrangements .
I don't know your budget, but you'll probably blow it , we did by 12k on our first MH. :whatthe: But we got it right first time , and loved the freedom it gave us. We never regretted not having a car to get about in. We didn't stay in one place longer than a few days. If you plan on doing that , you may as well have a caravan.
Welcome to the forum btw.

Cheers guys, lidded boxes are now on the shopping list. I'm trying to get the kids away as much as possible, they will want to do their own thing probably from about the age of 12-13?

?

Deleted User
You want a LWB transit size mini bus. Take out the rear seats you dont need and you have plenty room for luggage. Tents and any cooking stuff you need. Even shelving in the back for better storage. You could even get a camper style pull out gazebo on the van for extra camping/cooking space.

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
You want a LWB transit size mini bus. Take out the rear seats you dont need and you have plenty room for luggage. Tents and any cooking stuff you need. Even shelving in the back for better storage. You could even get a camper style pull out gazebo on the van for extra camping/cooking space.

That could be an option, my mate has a self build Transit lwb mini bus. He has the 3 seats in the front and retained the floor fixings for a double rear seat, should it ever be required. Other than that it's done in the style of the famous Deep red self build.

He did a cracking job too. I don't have the time sadly.

?

Deleted User
That could be an option, my mate has a self build Transit lwb mini bus. He has the 3 seats in the front and retained the floor fixings for a double rear seat, should it ever be required. Other than that it's done in the style of the famous Deep red self build.

He did a cracking job too. I don't have the time sadly.

A lot depends on you budget mate. The van idea is more for lugging the kids and luggage in one easy to fill space hence saying tents. Nothing more adventurous for kids than camping. Have two tents and you and the wife will have your own space. Or you and the wife in the back of the van with a fold down bed and kids in the van awning on fold away camp beds. Lots of cheap options for around the £4-5k mark. I think a camper alone would be crampt with four kids and could be expensive due to the size you will need.

What est is your budget so folk can throw better ideas around?

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
I think the day van option is looking the best so far, thanks to the advice.

If I could find a nice clean transit for £5k I'd be over the moon, there's been nothing locally anywhere near that price.

Ideally a vehicle with cruise control, air con and elcetric Windows. If I could find a van, my mate will assist with the work. He'll probably drink £2k's worth of beer while doing the work!? Lol

If needs be, I could stretch to £7k. After its busking time....

?

Deleted User
Your mate will no doubt be a member but a handy forum for self builds.

Link Removed

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
Your mate will no doubt be a member but a handy forum for self builds.

Link Removed
Yes, he's a member alright. Some cracking builds from those folk. If only I had the time, the tools and the hands.......

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ralph built our PVC "Pug" with his own fair hands. Took almost a year from start to finish as he's still running his own building co. He wore himself out. Literally. He's better now , almost, but having steroid injections in his carpel tunnel for his hands next week. To see if they work better than the tablets! After all he's a brickie by trade not a joiner ! He planned on getting a joiner friend to do the cabinets etc , but they let him down. So he ended up doing it all , what was going to take 100 days took almost a year!
Pugs finished now. We're out in him when ever we can. At least 2/3 weekends a month. He's not retired yet. So we only take 4/6 weeks proper holidays a year .
He's still got to finish his thread off, with costs final pictures , as promised etc.
But you may find it interesting. We had a bigger budget as we'd sold our other big MH. To put towards the costs.
Plus we plan on keeping Pug till he becomes a "classic" in other words an "old shed" ! So he built him to last.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/

Last edited:
?

Deleted User
About to start when the weather heats up a mini van myself with the help from them. Just a small Pug Expert van as its just the wife and myself but if we enjoy going away with it then ill be buying larger in a year or two. Taking this van to Germany and Belgium come September so i have now till then to get my finger out.

?

Deleted User

Some nice vans in there. I do like the look of the 2nd one as a base to work with. OP, Dont stress to much about the inside as you will be ripping most out anyway. Low (ish) miles, S/H and no rust would be my key points.

Ralph built our PVC "Pug" with his own fair hands. Took almost a year from start to finish as he's still running his own building co. He wore himself out. Literally. He's better now , almost, but having steroid injections in his carpel tunnel for his hands next week. To see if they work better than the tablets! After all he's a brickie by trade not a joiner !
Pugs finished now. We're out in him when ever we can. At least 2/3 weekends a month. He's not retired yet. So we only take 4/6 weeks proper holidays a year .
He's still got to finish his thread off, with costs final pictures , as promised etc.
But you may find it interesting. We had a bigger budget as we'd sold our other big MH. To put towards the costs.
Plus we plan on keeping Pug till he becomes a "classic" in other words an "old shed" ! So he built him to last.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/

Ill have a good read at that later cheers.

OP
OP
Bongo

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
Ralph built our PVC "Pug" with his own fair hands. Took almost a year from start to finish as he's still running his own building co. He wore himself out. Literally. He's better now , almost, but having steroid injections in his carpel tunnel for his hands next week. To see if they work better than the tablets! After all he's a brickie by trade not a joiner ! He planned on getting a joiner friend to do the cabinets etc , but they let him down. So he ended up doing it all , what was going to take 100 days took almost a year!
Thanks for the link Bev, sounds like a labour of love really!
I shall enjoy reading the thread.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back