Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not entirely Surprising, it was getting to be an issue before `09. However the "REAL Motives" for doing it are in the Phrase "this would generate more revenue for authorised camp-sites".

I also like the quote " The ultimate object (being) to attract Camper-vans to the Regions 19 official camp-sites."

So, Cough,Cough, It`s All about "Health and Safety" Then?. No word on lowering the "One night" rates on these salubrious accommodations as an incentive?.

Yeh, I know I`m just being "sarky". but that`s the Cynic in me!

P.s. BTW. back prior to `09. The perception was that the Majority of the so called offenders sported? Err? dare I say ? German Plates!

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would be the first to agree that there are plenty of MH ers abusing the system.

But many of the spanish municipalities are now providing aires, we regularly discovering new ones, most of them in good locations and reasonably priced.

That`s a new one on me?. how do you access the information on such "watering holes".?

Anyhow I`m off to start a new thread Called "Is it Me? OR??"

Pete

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hopefully it will lead to the creation of more aires - or fewer "freeloaders"! But I can't blame the authorities if umpteen tonnes of black waste are being poured into holes in the sand every week. It will all end up effectively untreated in the sea with its bugs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Local authorities, in whatever country, have to balance the requirements of everyone. If camp sites are suffering loss of business (= lower income to employ people and pay tax) as a result of people camping illegally then it is unsurprising that they clamp down on the illegal behaviour.

There may be a strong argument for provision of aires in places where there aren't sites already but that doesn't hold just because some people don't want to pay the market rates that existing sites charge.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That`s a new one on me?. how do you access the information on such "watering holes".?

Anyhow I`m off to start a new thread Called "Is it Me? OR??"

Pete

They are easy enough to find - camper contact , campincars-infos etc. But not some arent accessible for RV's ( noting avatar)

To give you an example - at La Linea (Gibralter) everyone used to park on the left just past the border and people regularly used to lift one of the manholes and leave it open for black waste. Now there is a fairly new aire at the marina - a lovely spot with nice views and very convenient for the border. It cost 12 euros but I'm happy to pay that because that is where I want to be. (btw i could also pay 3 euros and park at the football stadium if I wanted to)

Although the current system wasnt working, there was clearly a need for MH parking so action was taken that was a reasonable solution. Not just erect a height barrier.

I applaud the handful of councils in the UK that are starting to actually consider the rights of MHers, realising that we also pay our taxes and our needs are different to caravaners but remain frustrated by the timidity of the majority who wont do anything because of gypsies.

Jon

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I applaud the handful of councils in the UK that are starting to actually consider the rights of MHers, realising that we also pay our taxes and our needs are different to caravaners but remain frustrated by the timidity of the majority who wont do anything because of gypsies.
What timidity is that then? Some councils have suffered problems caused by illegal traveller camps in their car parks but the majority haven't. What they also haven't experienced is anyone going to them with economically sound reasons for creating aires.

As to "the rights of MHers", what are they? I wasn't aware we had any special rights :) We may have different camping requirements (rather than needs) from caravanners but they are really only a matter of location and facilities. There is nothing to stop those who wish to satisfy those requirements from opening sites which do so :)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have several times pointed out to our councillors that we have a carpark that would be ideally suited; it is big enough already has a lorry and coach section and has the machine there to issue a 24 hour ticket for £5.

The answer comes back as we cant do it because the gypsies will take over. Interestingly the Gypsies did take it over about 5 years ago, lots of them with caravans and stayed for about a week, so it didnt make any difference.

Yes as tax-payers we do have a right to say what our money is spent on.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have several times pointed out to our councillors that we have a carpark that would be ideally suited; it is big enough already has a lorry and coach section and has the machine there to issue a 24 hour ticket for £5.

The answer comes back as we cant do it because the gypsies will take over. Interestingly the Gypsies did take it over about 5 years ago, lots of them with caravans and stayed for about a week, so it didnt make any difference.

Yes as tax-payers we do have a right to say what our money is spent on.
The question of travellers abusing the scheme was raised during discussions about Guisborough but was immediately dismissed on the grounds that it had never been a problem in the several decades that the car/coach park had been in existence. In the event there were no traveller incursions but, unfortunately, there were also only 5 legitimate visitors in 18 months.

Obviously the experience of 5 years ago is bound to put councillors off (especially if the costs of dealing with the incursion were significant) but it might be worth revisiting and asking for real evidence rather than just a one-liner answer.

I note that there is a general ban on overnight parking (never mind camping) in Shropshire, so particular problems may have been identified. Also, motorhomes are not allowed to use coach and HGV spaces in Shropshire so any change would have to have no effect on coaches and HGV which was detrimental overall. If a case can be made despite those factors then, again, it may be worth revisiting.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Some councils have suffered problems caused by illegal traveller camps in their car parks but the majority haven't

Hereabouts we have a perennial issue with "illegal" travellers (NOT "proper" Gypsy's, note).

East Riding Council are now proposing MORE traveller sites, But "THEY" (travellers) don't want them, unless positioned close to amenity!! (WAG`s need shopping!!?)

Pete

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
When we were house hunting in Mojacar in 2002 the Guardia regularly cleared the beach during January and February. What DBK says about holes in the sand full of black waste was a contributory factor. Some folk could be seen washing their cassettes out in the sea. For the people on the main beach 300 metres away it wasn't much fun watching Timmy residue and paper floating past..... (I was going to say turd but this is a family show):(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hereabouts we have a perennial issue with "illegal" travellers (NOT "proper" Gypsy's, note).

East Riding Council are now proposing MORE traveller sites, But "THEY" (travellers) don't want them, unless positioned close to amenity!! (WAG`s need shopping!!?)

Pete
One of the perennial problems suffered by councils, which are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to complying with the legislation currently in place. Hopefully the proposals that the current government has to change the law will come along sooner rather than later.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Pete
No they just want ease of access to your gaff Pete, 42 inch teles are a bugger to move far in the dark:sneaky:

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
We are at Camping Bella Vista Aguilas and I can see 30 to 40 motorhomes on the waste ground above the beach from my pitch, some have been there for at least 2 weeks. We have also walked to Playa La Higuerica and Playa La Carolina which are also popular wild camping spots. I am told these beaches are not in the same Provence as Aguilas so do not get moved on by the local police.
Having never wild camped in the 18 months we have had the motorhome we had decided we would like to spend a couple of nights on one of these secluded beaches when we leave Bella Vista, so I hope they have not cleared Aguilas before the 10th Feb as I suspect I will not be able to get anywhere near these lovey spots.

Deleted User
What they also haven't experienced is anyone going to them with economically sound reasons for creating aires.

How about they think for themselves?

Hundreds of thousands of motorhomers looking for facilities (with money in their wallets)

Millions of pounds going over the channel every month, due to poor facilities, parking restrictions etc etc purely because your average council Waller can't see beyond his fluorescent jacket.

Economically sound!!

Deleted User
We are at Camping Bella Vista Aguilas and I can see 30 to 40 motorhomes on the waste ground above the beach from my pitch, some have been there for at least 2 weeks. We have also walked to Playa La Higuerica and Playa La Carolina which are also popular wild camping spots. I am told these beaches are not in the same Provence as Aguilas so do not get moved on by the local police.
Having never wild camped in the 18 months we have had the motorhome we had decided we would like to spend a couple of nights on one of these secluded beaches when we leave Bella Vista, so I hope they have not cleared Aguilas before the 10th Feb as I suspect I will not be able to get anywhere near these lovey spots.

The two highlighted sections would seem to be mutually exclusive to me:)

I hope that you do find some lovely secluded beaches, there are lots around that I know of and I am sure many more that I don't.

Reactions: DBK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How about they think for themselves?

Hundreds of thousands of motorhomers looking for facilities (with money in their wallets)

Millions of pounds going over the channel every month, due to poor facilities, parking restrictions etc etc purely because your average council Waller can't see beyond his fluorescent jacket.

Economically sound!!
That simply isn't the case though is it?

There are a couple of hundred thousand motorhomes (so say three hundred thousand motorhomers) in the UK. That is in a population of over 65 million so hardly a significant proportion. Of those, relatively few are looking for aires to be created (illustrated by the response to petitions). Of those few even fewer are willing to do anything about it.

The disposable income of those motorhomers varies tremendously as does the amount they spend, as we have established previously, Broken Link Removedand Broken Link Removed for example.

There are very few places in the UK where parking is totally impossible and where there are restrictions imposed they are for sound reasons. Even given that, the number of places is increasing over the years rather than decreasing.

An economically sound argument? No, just a few one liners with no evidential base.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
So the UK is right and rest of Europe wrong with its network of 1000's of motorhome specific Aires. spent 3 months on a quiet beach in Greece, bread van and ice cream van turned up everyday.....we were one of three vans no one gave a toss. we are the most heavily policed nation in Europe...

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So the UK is right and rest of Europe wrong with its network of 1000's of motorhome specific Aires. spent 3 months on a quiet beach in Greece, bread van and ice cream van turned up everyday.....we were one of three vans no one gave a toss. we are the most heavily policed nation in Europe...

To the point and very properly put - I wish I could 'like' this more than once.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Local authorities, in whatever country, have to balance the requirements of everyone. If camp sites are suffering loss of business (= lower income to employ people and pay tax) as a result of people camping illegally then it is unsurprising that they clamp down on the illegal behaviour.

There may be a strong argument for provision of aires in places where there aren't sites already but that doesn't hold just because some people don't want to pay the market rates that existing sites charge.
Yes......... very true. Once again the FLT's spoil things

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
No one has done more for the cause than Graham and despite my view that more councils could emulate Powys where I live in the provision of a number of overnight parking areas I have to support his view. The most policed comment I can't agree with......most 'regulated and surveilled' country oh yes. But policed, never see one either at home, at work or on the Motorway. Apart from inside the M25 ring does anyone see the police....anywhere?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No one has done more for the cause than Graham and despite my view that more councils could emulate Powys where I live in the provision of a number of overnight parking areas I have to support his view. The most policed comment I can't agree with......most 'regulated and surveilled' country oh yes. But policed, never see one either at home, at work or on the Motorway. Apart from inside the M25 ring does anyone see the police....anywhere?
Not round here, we don't. Not even a PCSO (they have fired half of them)... no worries though, we have two slathering dogs and a monitored alarm system, plus I sit on the deck in the evenings in my rocking chair with my favourite Tootle hunting gun cradled across my knee waiting for some punk to "feel lucky"

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Well I'm sorry but if we could only use our motorhome in the UK we'd sell it tomorrow.
We've travelled extensively and the UK is the most expensive least friendly and most difficult country we've motor-homed in along with Austria and Switzerland which we avoid whenever possible. Even countries that we think of as less modernised than us are easier to travel in Croatia Czech Republic Slovenia etc. Every request in the UK is greeted with a negative response it's the default position now.
Camping on beaches yes we occasionally do but never more than 2 days as we don't want to abuse the right but we all know others stay for weeks or months. You can't really blame the local council or residents for wanting them moved we've all seen some of these sites how many would want one outside their front door.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
There should be a crackdown on even considering Spain as a destination. Terrible place.

Now then, Skegness, as an alternative, has many advantages........(y)(y)(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My avatar is of a beach just north of Aguilas, you'll find it listed in CamperContact but the more famous beaches south of Aguilas I found singularly unimpressive when we visited them last May or June - packed with people and not very clean. Our guide books raved about the Cuatro Calas but they are a very mixed bunch. The one nearest the campsite does have nice sheltered swimming though, but perhaps not at this time of the year!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back