Alternator output new Iveco Daily (1 Viewer)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When driving it would appear that the engine is putting little or nothing back into the batteries by way of charge. Sometimes it goes up a little and often it actually goes down. I am being told that the alternator may not be producing sufficient power to drive the charger i.e. 14.2v for the type of batteries.

I am completely clueless on this area all I know is that even after driving for several hours and expecting the charge to have increased significantly it has not.

Any thoughts? The chassis is a new Iveco Daily 3 litre diesel.

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The alternator charges the leisure battery in the same way as it charges the engine battery......there is no charger involved.
With the engine running it energises the split charge relay which allows charge current to the hab battery, albeit very slowly.

Your problem sounds like a faulty split charge relay.
If it was the alternator the engine battery would also discharge.

The alternator output should be around 14.7v so well above minimum charge voltage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks

I think the problem is the alternator is just not spitting out enough power as they are big battery banks and fridge on electric etc.

Bit of internet research suggests sterling b to b charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it has a b to b charger, that fools the alternator into thinling the battery is flat so forces full output from your alternator....even if the engine battery is fully charged.
I would expect around 150 to 180 amps from the alternator....more than enough for a large bank and fridge.
Mine had enough to keep charged 550ah of battery bank....thats 5 x 110ah batteries.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
When driving it would appear that the engine is putting little or nothing back into the batteries by way of charge. Sometimes it goes up a little and often it actually goes down. I am being told that the alternator may not be producing sufficient power to drive the charger i.e. 14.2v for the type of batteries.

I am completely clueless on this area all I know is that even after driving for several hours and expecting the charge to have increased significantly it has not.

Any thoughts? The chassis is a new Iveco Daily 3 litre diesel.

Thanks
If you have a 2015 Daily Chassis, read the thread referred to above, your MH manufacturer should pay for the Iveco software disabling of the smart charging, N+B are for my Flair. Another Flair owner has just had his neutered and it solved the issue.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I read the original thread with incredulity, but now having had time to think it through - Most of this sort of stuff is undertaken by manufacturers to get them into the newer 'euro' class in this case 6. If the smart alternator has been a factor in allowing them to achieve euro 6 with this engine and it is subsequently disabled, is the vehicle no longer euro 6 compliant?

If so we could have another volkswagen here.

As an aside I do know that the heavy truck manufactures had a few issues with engine cooling to get there, hence all the redesigned fronts.

Jon

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Jon,
Interestingly once the chassis is converted the original emissions quoted on the CoC from Iveco are ignored, and the MH manufacturer does not get them regraded.
Michael

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I read the original thread with incredulity, but now having had time to think it through - Most of this sort of stuff is undertaken by manufacturers to get them into the newer 'euro' class in this case 6. If the smart alternator has been a factor in allowing them to achieve euro 6 with this engine and it is subsequently disabled, is the vehicle no longer euro 6 compliant?

If so we could have another volkswagen here.

As an aside I do know that the heavy truck manufactures had a few issues with engine cooling to get there, hence all the redesigned fronts.

Jon
Everything goes out of the window! Crumple zones, pedestrian protection, security devices, crash testing, side impact bars, air bags and portection

We are all driving death traps lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back