Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
At the moment vehicles such as the Nevara, that have a DGW in excess of 3000 KG up to and including 3500KG (technically a goods vehicle) benefit because of its classification as a "Duel Purpose Vehicle" can be tested under class 4 MoT (Car)

This is about to change!!!
Motor Vehicle Test Regulations will in 2010 re classify these vehicles into the Class 7 Goods Vehicle test scheme

it is also worthy of note, as you know, Goods vehicle have lower speed limits on single and duel carriageways, these lower limits also apply to Duel Purpose Vehicles
Geo

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Great!:Doh:
Could you tell me what this will mean from an owners point of view, with regard to cost, any extra things looked for in the test and test facilities available to the public?

Ta

edit= think I've found one bit of the above. The fee goes up from £54 to £57 according to the VOSA.GOV site.

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
If it goes to Class 7 MOT, you might have to have and use a Tachograph!

I don't want to spread alarm and despondency amongst the ranks - but it has been talked about for the last year or so on the dealer circuit.

In essence, it means that your vehicle becomes an 'articulated' vehicle rather than a caravan. I am not really into the details but apparently it is all to do with the amount of weight being transferred onto the tow vehicle when the trailer is attached.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+

I don't want to spread alarm and despondency amongst the ranks - but it has been talked about for the last year or so on the dealer circuit.

In essence, it means that your vehicle becomes an 'articulated' vehicle rather than a caravan. I am not really into the details but apparently it is all to do with the amount of weight being transferred onto the tow vehicle when the trailer is attached.

As I understand it, this relates back to the 20% ruling, in so far as any drawn vehicle that bears more than 20% of its weight on the Tow vehicle will (if the new regulations come in to force) have to have a tachograph fitted.

There is still as far as I am aware great uncertainty as to whether this is to be only for "commercial" vehicles or if it will include leisure vehicles.

The other challenge faced which is, as yet, not clarified is, at what point a trailer clearly designed for leisure pursuits becomes a commercial vehicle and thus needs to be recategorised. Does this mean a new category over and above caravans? who knows:Doh::Doh:.................I guess what will be certain is that it will add to the current confusion. :Eeek: No change there then.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
There is still as far as I am aware great uncertainty as to whether this is to be only for "commercial" vehicles or if it will include leisure vehicles.
I guess what will be certain is that it will add to the current confusion. :Eeek: No change there then.

That is the general outcome of the discussions that I have heard about - "if and when" the 5'er is designated as NOT being a caravan.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

You could have fooled me:RollEyes:
Total Hogwash!!!!
Great!:Doh:
Could you tell me what this will mean from an owners point of view, with regard to cost, any extra things looked for in the test and test facilities available to the public?

Ta

edit= think I've found one bit of the above. The fee goes up from £54 to £57 according to the VOSA.GOV site.
Next to no differance to the vehicle owner.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
See <Link Removed> for the current explanation of whether you need a tacho.

Unless I am missing the point here, your flow chart is for current and clearly leads you to a "No Tacho needed" conclusion.

This is not what is being discussed at present in so far as future legislation. The key for the future will be the criteria of definition between private and commercial.

Let's wait and see, but as has been discussed to the point of exhaustion elsewhere, it seems impossible to reclassify an unknown quantity of vehicles already in operation. i.e. retrospective will be a non starter.

Rob

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The question is clearly answered in box 1
Is the vehicle used for hire or reward or used for commercial carraiage of goods
Answer NO
is a Tachco reqd answer NO
you will be telling me their banning A frames next:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, the construction n use definition of an artic is that atleast 20%of the loaded trailer must be super imposed on the tow unit. most 5ers are not artics .they are living vans . if over 3,500kg must be mot,ed .if under exempt. if you look at v112 form from dvla a navara could be mot exempt if it pulls a proper artic trailer. as for private use i do have a tacho,dont use it with discs as i am exempt as private . it gets silly but after speaking with the local traffic examiner he says even if the camper truck is what he would class as a camper used private weghing 7.5 ton was pulling a small trailer and it was again seen to be full of items conected to camping he would let it go with no tacho working. anyone confused can speak to there local traffic examiner they are very helpfull. i say get a truck over 3,500kg get an artic 5er use v112g much better.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as for using the ntta . they dont control anything.if you look at vosa book ref 277535 drivers hours and tachographs (revised 2007) page 10 in the exemptions vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible mass not exceeding7.5 tonnes used for the non -commercial carriage of goods ..... quite possitivly says exempt .If over 7.5tonnes used for non commercial should use tacho.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back