Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi all some one posted an aire that was not far south of Calais just off the A16 saying that they stopped there each time after crossing the channel.was it ...aire de la baie de Somme.? If this was the one was it a safe overnight stop. ??,Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think, but happy to be corrected, that one is a motorway aire. Never stopped there so no opinion about whether it's safe or not.

If you want somewhere near Calais in that direction I would choose Wissant.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It is on a motorway but designed with a separate aire for camping cars.Stayed there once but prefer others. I would use it again when in a busy part of the season but would not feel safe if there was no-one else there the services next door close at night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I think, but happy to be corrected, that one is a motorway aire. Never stopped there so no opinion about whether it's safe or not.

If you want somewhere near Calais in that direction I would choose Wissant.

Thanks Nic, I am looking for somewhere nice and easy to make my first stop on way to twin lakes meet ,so don't want to go very far on first day . Roy

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Always stop at Boulogne when going south. Lovely stop on the cliff over looking the port. €5.25 for the first 48 hours.
50.7442, 1.5975

Deleted User
Have stayed there many times, including a cpl of weeks ago.

2 vans in the night we stayed and the only noise was from the wind turbine (it was very windy)

Woke up gas free, without an axe embedded in my forehead, or my wife and wallet missing.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Khizzie, We spent the night at the Baie de Somme services some 6 or 7 years ago. We were parked up with several other motorhomes and caravans. We awoke in the morning to find that attempts to break into every vehicle had been made. Our cab door locks were damaged.
Since then we have avoided the place like the plague.

Brisey.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have recently been staying at the car park in Boulogne (free) and just a few minutes walk from the town centre. We have used the aire on the hill but found it very sloping - only a few which are level.

Joe

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Gravelines.

I know everyone always says Gravelines whenever anyone ever asks for somewhere to overnight in France, and it's lovely, but it's in completely the wrong direction for everywhere apart from Belgium.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks Nic, I am looking for somewhere nice and easy to make my first stop on way to twin lakes meet ,so don't want to go very far on first day . Roy

Depends on how far you want to go then.

Wissant is about 20 minutes from Calais, Neufchatel-en-Bray is a popular aire which will take you probably a bit less than 2 hours. Le Crotoy is another popular one about an hour or so away.

If you've got a bit further than that in mind and are sticking to motorways then Honfleur is reliable and will take 3 hours or so.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I know everyone always says Gravelines whenever anyone ever asks for somewhere to overnight in France, and it's lovely, but it's in completely the wrong direction for everywhere apart from Belgium.
But it is only a very short distance in the wrong direction and a lovely place to stop and a lovely town. I think I'd still go even if it's 10 mins or so in the wrong direction.

Wyn

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another vote for the aire at Boulogne.. lovely aire, some parts are slopey , but there are quiet a number of nice level grassy pitches..

excellent stop en route or even for a day or three.. plenty to see and do with some great sea food restaurants.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But it is only a very short distance in the wrong direction and a lovely place to stop and a lovely town. I think I'd still go even if it's 10 mins or so in the wrong direction.

Wyn

You can get from Calais either ferry port or tunnel to Gravelines aire in 10 minutes?

What the hell are you driving and where can I buy one? :D

Seriously though there are plenty of other lovely places in more convenient directions if you don't happen to be heading for Belgium (y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I know everyone always says Gravelines whenever anyone ever asks for somewhere to overnight in France but it's in completely the wrong direction for everywhere apart from Belgium.

Or Holland or Germany :drinks:

Or the fag shop in Adinkerke, although we always stay FOC over night in Bray Dunes.
In the morning, half fill up with water and shopping at the nearby Carrefour.

The best/quickest route into Germany is the A25/A27 from Dunkirk to Aachen---- IMHO.

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Depends on how far you want to go then.

Wissant is about 20 minutes from Calais, Neufchatel-en-Bray is a popular aire which will take you probably a bit less than 2 hours. Le Crotoy is another popular one about an hour or so away.

If you've got a bit further than that in mind and are sticking to motorways then Honfleur is reliable and will take 3 hours or so.

That sounds perfect Nic.I will have a look at that in my all the aires..Roy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
what time do you get off ferry / tunnel?

we have done that route several times and are one of many who have overnighted at Aire de Baie du Somme, it is on the motorway which is a toll section, always cautious, would never go down the bottom of the aire when dark, it is really dark at night, but would use again

However, there are the other aires, as mentioned above, but some of those open up other issues, as a recent thread of mine, getting past the barrier, how do you pay etc

I am a great fan of free access, free to stop aires, for exactly that reason, depending on how long you want to drive and personally we like to be stopped before dark

Montrueil sur mer (nowhere near the sea any more by the way) a rough car park, free, but very convenient for the town centre bars and eating

If you have 2 hours, I would say go for Pont de L'Arche, next to Rouen, avoids Rouen as well, right beside river, free access, adjacent to town for eating / bars again, large car park technically only three places, but nothing stopping as many as want stopping, or there is a commercial site adjacent

Having said that we are going down week after next and will be trying new aires, so keep an eye on my 'anniversary' thread, we will be going right past and maybe even stopping at Twin Lakes with three stops en route (y)

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Stayed on this aire when coming back from France last year. About 50mins from the tunnel. Right on the cliff with great views of the sea.

Aire de Camping-Car Equihen-Plage
Rue Du Beurre Fondu
62224 Equihen-Plage
France
N 50.67944, E 1.56880

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Wissant is our favourite first and last night. Short walk into a lovely little seaside town - several restaurants and a good boulangerie for the mandatory baguettes and croissants. Beautiful sandy beach - perfect for the dogs! The aire is free and very popular (limited facilities - no fresh water, but we usually arrive full) - it can get busy but we love the bustle and MH watching (y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Only stopped at Wissant once - two motorhomes together travelling back from Spain together accidentally (long story) end of March. Nob all in Wissant was open (may have been in the daytime but no sign of it next day either) which was a bummer as we were all hoping to eat together on our last night before equally co-incidental channel crossings (different ferry operators different times) the next day.

I can't say I'd want to go again in a hurry. A lot of seaside places are also similar to varying degrees - whereas inland a bit where it's a 'proper' town not just a dormitory/holiday place - you do stand a lot more chance of some life in the place!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh - the aire at Arques is only accessible when the campsite is open, from about Easter to the end of September - you can walk to it ok but the barrier is down so you can't get the van on it. Room for two vans on the approach road to the site & aire but that's that.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you have 2 hours, I would say go for Pont de L'Arche, next to Rouen, avoids Rouen as well, right beside river, free access, adjacent to town for eating / bars again, large car park technically only three places, but nothing stopping as many as want stopping, or there is a commercial site adjacent
[/QUOTE]

Pont de L'Arch. Now moved next to campsite and has about 12 spaces old car park gone.

Joe

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The OP asked for an Aire "near Calais", didn't say what direction there were travelling.

Deleted User
Just before Rouen is a small village called Buchy, there is an aire in the college car park (on main red through village) it's about 10 mins off of the motorway.

Buchy is the site of my most terrifying motorhome near death experience, or more accurately the road to Buchy. There is a railway crossing on that road without a barrier, it started flashing as I approached it and it was one of those "shall I break hard, or carry" on moments. I chose break hard, and after probably only 4-5 Amber flashes the train whizzed through. Had I have chose "carry on" I would have ended up back at Calais (rail terminal)

The Aire is fine though!

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Pont De L'Arch is a great stop over nice village not much choice of eateries pizzeria cafe's etc.Gets busy market day and for some reason 75% of stalls seem to sell spit roast chicken. And not particularly cheap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back