Aire Driveways (1 Viewer)

R

Ramblebamble

Deleted User
Hi

I was looking at free stopovers on google and this lot came up. They are offering a driveway use club, they have free memberships up for grabs so may be worth a look anyone joined?

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Is it Airedriveways.co.uk?
I think it's a good idea because we as the motorhome community can help solve the lack of aires in the UK ourselves.

Possible problem I can see is that not many people might have enough room for their motorhome, a stranger's motorhome and the inhabitants own everyday car/s.

Also it identifies who has a motorhome in their drive for light fingered friends.

Where it could work is if you were going on holiday and the property would be empty. With a motorhome, it would then have someone staying as security,rather like the homeswaps we have done where an occupied house is better than an empty one.
We would join but maybe our mountain track would be too scary for most people.
Lucille

Bugsy

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
Hi Ramblebamble

I looked at their website and it does not appear to be free to join and it doesn't say how much it costs either. I Googled it and didn't find any free offers. Where did you find details of their free membership offer please?

Cheers:thumb:
Toni

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ramblebamble

I looked at their website and it does not appear to be free to join and it doesn't say how much it costs either. I Googled it and didn't find any free offers. Where did you find details of their free membership offer please?

Cheers:thumb:
Toni

found this at the bottom of the front page Bugsy....

The site is very new and we are currently marketing and advertising to promote its growth. We are offering one year free membership to the first member from every county or listed large town that’s 135 free memberships up for grabs!!! Standard membership is £10 per year. Join now become part of something new and add some freedom to your camping experience.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
The MCC has a similar scheme called 'Safe Knights' for other MCC members to be able to stopover for one night with. We are listed but up to now have only had the one van stopover.
Could see possible problems if people are almost acting like a campsite, would your neighbours appreciate somebody 'camping' on your drive.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If the scheme has paying customers I can see problems, not least with insurance. A free scheme organised by friends, say on a motorhome forum would probably be better. :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On the other forum I mentioned I was asked for a comment, especially with regard to the 28 day rule. An edited version of my comments follows.

The use of land for caravan sites is laid down in the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. Most sites need a licence but there are some cases, listed in the First Schedule, where a licence is not required. A caravan site is defined by S1(4) as land on which a caravan is stationed for the purposes of human habitation and land which is used in conjunction with land on which a caravan is so stationed - so would include a driveway.

I don't know how the MCC Safe Knights scheme fits in with it but the MCC is an Exempted Organisation so maybe they are able to rely on Paragraphs 5 and/or 6 of the First Schedule.

Staying on a friend's driveway seems to be covered by Paragraph 1 of the First Schedule. I should have thought that having friends to stay, wherever they sleep, is incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse. I don't know whether such enjoyment would extend to the scheme proposed by Aire Driveways UK. It could be argued that as all the people involved are members of the same club then it does. If that argument is successful the 28 day rule would not apply.

However, if Paragraph 1 doesn't extend so far then the Aire Driveways UK scheme would have to rely on Paragraph 2 of the First Schedule, which allows use by a person travelling with a caravan for one or two nights but only for one van at a time.

Interestingly, the Act doesn't mention payment for use of a site. I notice that Aire Driveways UK actually say "No money should exchange hands, as we are not renting drive space. If you wish to offer electricity, this should be confirmed before arrival. We do not recommend allowing the disposal of waste." so that could, I suppose, be used to reinforce the argument for Paragraph 1 of the First Schedule to apply.

As someone had mentioned (on the other forum), apart from planning law there are other considerations such as public liability. I should have thought that the terms of the householder's buildings insurance would be more relevant than legislation in that regard. It would certainly be necessary to inform the insurance company of participation in the scheme as it would be relevant to the risk covered - and the company might well decline to offer cover over and above visits by genuine friends (or charge a higher premium).

The other factor which springs to mind is relations with neighbours. They might have no objections to visits by genuine friends but might be upset by other people turning up an average of once a fortnight.

I would certainly urge anyone thinking of joining the scheme to be satisfied as to the points above before doing so.

Graham

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Sound like idea, why don't we have one for funnsters only?

Doug...

OP
OP
R

Ramblebamble

Deleted User
Hi

Well I took the plunge and joined up got refund the next day, they have only a few members at the moment but I think if this does take off it could be a club that spans the country and therefore one night stops could be in every town. I'll keep you posted with my experiences of it.

We like to do long trips so it will definately break up our road time. I don't think it will ever replace campsite camping but its maybe a nice addition.

Happy travels.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Sound like idea, why don't we have one for funnsters only?

Doug...

We could have a section were members say were they want to go and when and others can volunteer their drive if the want.

I think at the cost of the odd beer or two. :thumb:

Ralph

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We could have a section were members say were they want to go and when and others can volunteer their drive if the want.

I think at the cost of the odd beer or two. :thumb:

Ralph

Well I live (when we are at home for 4 summer months) In Pembrokeshire.

Doug...

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
weel im not the first in wrexham they want mony aghh well thats that

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
looks like i was the first in wrexham but as stated earlier they want me to pay first then get a refund previous post says ok but if i was the first it says free so why pay then refund why not just give you the membership mmmm:Eeek:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Welcome on my drive

Anyone needing an overnight in the Durham Dales area is most welcome on my drive FREE. Possibly a small donation to The Dogs Trust if you insist.
No electric but breathtaking views of The Pennines and in one of the most beautiful areas of the country.
I'm in favour of any overnight parking on an Aires basis. It is about time we moved with the rest of Europe for a change.
Wiljoy:thumb:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I was first from the Stockton area but am not willing to be part of a profit making scheme. I would be willing to partake on a friendly basis.

On my drive I have electrics and satellite connection (own receiver and TV required).

Ralph

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back