Towing car in Spain, if you still don't know. (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
You cannot get it much clearer than this: Broken Link Removed

Note that they car immobilise the vehicle, I guess while you go to a bank and pay the fine.(y)

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
STILL . Does not make the Spanish RIGHT, Under the terms of the "Treaty of Rome".

But then this is the country that STILL fishes up to the British Beaches!!, and disregards the Net sizes!

But is it actually legal in the UK to tow on an "A" Frame?
People may not get nicked, but is it legal and if so where does it say so. It might just be that the Spanish.........goodness me.......MIGHT be correct! (y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Billy23 is right we do not know that it's legal, we just know no one been prosecuted. I use an A Frame but don't take it into Europe.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This subject has been done to death in the past. The Spanish position is nothing to do with A frames as such: they do not allow any vehicle to be towed by another unless it is broken down and, unlike the UK, they do not regard a car on an A frame as a trailer. In Spain it is still a car and is not broken down.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
:Grin:NO! NO! NO! ----- Another A Frame thread. Now about gassing --- will I be OK emptying my waste tank whilst being gassed.
I'll get me coyt! (need to go and buy 6 ipads just in case!
Bernie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

YES

UK Government DofT Guidance .. download the pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies

From the above I hope it is clear that we believe the use of "A" frames to tow cars behind other
vehicles is legal provided the braking and lighting requirements are met. However, while this is our understanding of the Regulations, it is only the Courts which can reach a definitive interpretation of
the law

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
For my Money just another indication of why we might as well be out of the (Corrupt) E-U than in It.
Have yet to see any benefit from being there, and lots of MY tax money subsidising Europe and Migration.

I`ve wasted hours of my time over the years explaining why, and I am not going there again.

so "See earlier posts going back to 2007".

Pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
From your quote, it says "we believe" ?????? Would you say that if.....it WAS the law?

Just asking you understand.:)

ask all you like... can only point to what I already have.. In the UK everything is legal until made illegal .. that's our legal system

"Everything which is not forbidden is allowed" is a constitutional principle of English law—an essential freedom of the ordinary citizen.

as opposed to Spain where everything is illegal until made legal ..

There is no law banning A frames in the UK.. ergo they are legal.. until a court decides otherwise.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

BUT. Under UK law it is NOT illegal. and that is the pertinent fact.

And that, IMHO, makes G-B BETTER than Europe. Which runs under a form of law laid down by a regime run by a Vertically challenged, megalomaniac.

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
For my Money just another indication of why we might as well be out of the (Corrupt) E-U than in It.
Have yet to see any benefit from being there, and lots of MY tax money subsidising Europe and Migration.

I`ve wasted hours of my time over the years explaining why, and I am not going there again.

so "See earlier posts going back to 2007".

Pete
Nothing to do with the EU, the law in Spain has made it illegal to tow a car for many years, nothing to do with A frames at all. I have a Spanish registered car and my insurance includes breakdown cover as a standard feature because of the law. You can't just tow a car on a tow rope in Spain - you gave to call for a Grau - end of.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Nothing to do with the EU, the law in Spain has made it illegal to tow a car for many years, nothing to do with A frames at all. I have a Spanish registered car and my insurance includes breakdown cover as a standard feature because of the law. You can't just tow a car on a tow rope in Spain - you gave to call for a Grau - end of.

Actually, I think that included breakdown cover would be a great idea for the UK as well as it would save loads of worry and hassle.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

You can't tow a car on a rope here either. That was outlawed some years ago .

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Under UK law it is illegal to use a dolly, a frame, for transportation, they are for recovery use only

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Under UK law it is illegal to use a dolly, a frame, for transportation, they are for recovery use only

Which IMHO. only goes to emphasise the stupidity of the Situation. Perfectly GOOD systems barred, because some jumped up oik in a "Suit" decides HE/SHE. personally thinks they know better!!. The Americans are far more laid back about such things. In fact the uK would be better off as the 52nd state!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
BUT. Under UK law it is NOT illegal. and that is the pertinent fact.

And that, IMHO, makes G-B BETTER than Europe. Which runs under a form of law laid down by a regime run by a Vertically challenged, megalomaniac.
But thousands off us just love the country. If my taxes are helping Europe i may as well visit and get my moneys worth BUSBY:D:D:D

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Which IMHO. only goes to emphasise the stupidity of the Situation. Perfectly GOOD systems barred, because some jumped up oik in a "Suit" decides HE/SHE. personally thinks they know better!!. The Americans are far more laid back about such things. In fact the uK would be better off as the 52nd state!!

Heavens forbid,,a nation of loons,,,,BUSBY:D:D:D

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just to be controversial - I really don't see the point in towing a car - massively reduces fuel consumption, awkward to manouveur and basically the reverse of a caravan so get a caravan?

We use bikes or on an odd occasion when required, just hire a car for a few days - costs no more than towing and saves the wear and tear on your own vehicle (plus you can SORN your vehicle at home if you are away for a while),

C

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
This subject has been done to death in the past. The Spanish position is nothing to do with A frames as such: they do not allow any vehicle to be towed by another unless it is broken down and, unlike the UK, they do not regard a car on an A frame as a trailer. In Spain it is still a car and is not broken down.

This comment is inaccurate.

No car may tow any other vehicle on Spanish roads, under any circumstances,it is against the law to do so. The only way to move a broken down vehicle to, (say) garage/home etc is by low loader..... the fabled "grua-man" which will be arranged by your breakdown service. If travelling in convoy/company, do not be tempted to tow, if seen you WILL be nicked.

Bryan

Note: It is owing to this law alone, that A frames are illegal in Spain.

B
Sorry @Billy23 did not see you comment before posting!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This comment is inaccurate.

No car may tow any other vehicle on Spanish roads, under any circumstances,it is against the law to do so. The only way to move a broken down vehicle to, (say) garage/home etc is by low loader..... the fabled "grua-man" which will be arranged by your breakdown service. If travelling in convoy/company, do not be tempted to tow, if seen you WILL be nicked.

Bryan

Note: It is owing to this law alone, that A frames are illegal in Spain.

B
Sorry @Billy23 did not see you comment before posting!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back