North East Coast (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
At the end of Sept wifey and me are off for a weeks touring. We will be going to east coast Bridlington ish and then up to Berwick on Tweed etc etc etc (or possibly the other way round) Can anyone reccomend any sites between these two places (incl CC CL's) that have sea views and peferably walking distance to shops etc.
Thanks
Ian

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
At the end of Sept wifey and me are off for a weeks touring. We will be going to east coast Bridlington ish and then up to Berwick on Tweed etc etc etc (or possibly the other way round) Can anyone reccomend any sites between these two places (incl CC CL's) that have sea views and peferably walking distance to shops etc.
Thanks
Ian

Perhaps this site will give you some ideas, scroll down ..... to north east , select a camp-site for information ,reviews,each site will have symbols to represent services available. Selecting map will show you its location, selecting aerial view will give you an overhead picture of the camp-site.

regards

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The caravan club site at Berwick is has super views over the sea, estuary and the town which is about a 10 min walk away.

The CC site at whitley bay is on a headland and about 25min walk from the town centre along the coastal path

Both sites are busy so advance booking would be advisable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I thought it worth a mention that a trip out to the Farne Islands to see the seals is interesting, it can get a bit choppy so if you get a nice day its an option.

I took this film whilst on a diving trip there. (dont know if it will work)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC0tofJzkEU]YouTube - Farnes diving[/ame]

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
The caravan club site at Berwick is has super views over the sea, estuary and the town which is about a 10 min walk away.

The CC site at whitley bay is on a headland and about 25min walk from the town centre along the coastal path

Both sites are busy so advance booking would be advisable

We stayed here in May (if it's the same one, and I think it is). It's called Old Hartley and is actually located just south of Seaton Sluice. There is also some lovely walking by the river through The Dene towards Holywell. There's a small one-stop type shop about 15 minutes from the camp site.

Most of the pitches have a great view over the sea and the lighthouse. Some pitches are non-awning pitches and the pitches aren't really all that level - we needed to ramp the front wheels (but then we seem to have to do that to some extent at most places - seems to be an A-class thing).

The pub next door is friendly enough - big screen football (Portsmouth v Sunderland as if I particularly cared:RollEyes:) not a pretty, or cosy type of place, but the beer's OK:drink:.

Metro station is at Whitley Bay - evidently there's a bus runs there.

Hope this is useful.

Further north towards Berwick you can drive out to Linisfarne (also called Holy Island) if the tide is right. Times are well published. The castle is National Trust and closed one day a week (Monday when we went). The priory is English Heritage, so also free to members. There's a decent sized car park (need to pay) on the left just as you approach the village and another for disabled folk closer the the village centre. Well worth a visit, particularly if the history is your thing.

John

Last edited:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
One to avoid

I love the North-East coast and a couple of years ago stayed at Annstead Farm, Beadnell. It was listed as a CS by the C&CC. This should mean of course that it is limited to 5 caravans/motorhomes/trailer tents but of course as with all C&CC CS's they can have as many tents as they want. There were actually 20 pitches about half of them with electric hook-up and there were actually 8 vans on site. It was listed as having toilets, wash basins and showers, one of each for males and females which is fine for 5 vans but not for 20 pitches were the majority don't have their own facilities. These facilities are also used by the ready-erected tents (3) that they also had and also by the bunk-house they also had. The refuse bins (2 of the large commercial wheelly ones) were only emptied once in the week we were there and were full again within 2 days so all rubbish left by the side of them. The owners were never seen - you had to pay on arrival by pushing your money through the letterbox.
It is no longer listed as a CS by the C & CC.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Quite fancy a trip up that way myself. Anyone got anymore ideas, from Scarborough upwards.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Blue Dolphin and the Crows Nest at gristhorpe near scarborough.
both are holiday parks but have seperate touring sites and if you get near the top end of the Blue Dolphin, sea views.

Reighton sands at Reighton near filey.....again a holiday park with seperate touring pitchs.

i believe full use of all park facilities if touring.

Whitby....
turn right just past Hawsker on the whitby road, opposite the old railway station...now a cafe and bike hire, towards the Abbey.
follow the road for a mile or so....3 sites on the right.

unfortunately all these are quite a long walk to shops but do have a shop on site.

Last edited:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
there's a big and expensive site at Seahouses - but it's a brilliant location - particulalry if you want to go to the Farne Islands, also liked [basic] Camping & Caravanning Site at Beadnell - brilliant views

Oct 26, 2007
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Swift Edge
Exp
The M.C.C have a excellent rally site for 5 days in mid september overlooking the sea at South Shields for about 5 pounds a night.There are also excellent transport links to Newcastle .

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
municipal site at South Shields, right on the front next to the park, probably next to the MCC Rally site, good spot
get ferry to North Shields, turn right and head for fish quay for excellent fish n chips at Kristians
there've been many rumours in recent years that the municipal site is closing - hope not, but . . . .:RollEyes:
http://www.tyneside.com/info/20217/

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi if you want to visit Whitby there is plenty of parking along the side of the road at Sandsend if you get there early enough.I have seen vans overnighting here there is a large Gravel Carparktowards the Whitby End of the village.There is a Campsite at Runswick bay or for a day visit in Runswick park on the Grass carpark opposite THe Cliffmount hotel then walk down into the bay,you can also walk from here to Staithes along the Cleveland Way ( about 3 hr circuit ) hope this helps we used to live at Runswick so I know that area quite wll if you need any other info Pm me-Sue and Steve

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
crows nest caravan site

we went there last year very close to other caravabs no views had club and chippy shop on site but we didn t like the site and for £22 a night wasn t good value we hated it

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
ips

Did eberspacer fix that knocking heater ok for you?

After reading the replys to my post I assumed the knocking was normal, certainly works ok. :thumb:

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
There's a big article on this very subject in this months Practical Motorhome.

Cheers
Alan

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
The Blue Dolphin and the Crows Nest at gristhorpe near scarborough.
both are holiday parks but have seperate touring sites and if you get near the top end of the Blue Dolphin, sea views.

Reighton sands at Reighton near filey.....again a holiday park with seperate touring pitchs.

i believe full use of all park facilities if touring.

Whitby....
turn right just past Hawsker on the whitby road, opposite the old railway station...now a cafe and bike hire, towards the Abbey.
follow the road for a mile or so....3 sites on the right.

unfortunately all these are quite a long walk to shops but do have a shop on site.

Immediately after you turn right opposite the old railway station there is a pretty CS called Long Leas Farm, though the actual camping field has a different name (The View, I think). It's run by a chap called Brian McNeil and his wife who are both friendly folk (they've been friends of my aunt and uncle for years). There is a small loo block with two toilets in it (no male / female) and a couple of wash hand basins without hot water (when we were there). There is a water tap and a waste dump (incl. Chem.) near the field entrance and EHU on each pitch (all grass). The pitches are a bit on the small side but he plans to make them bigger, as there is plenty of room. You are given a special plug for the EHU. He charges £14 per night.

It's about an hour walk along the railway trail to Whitby and there is a bus stop on the main road right by the junction. A pub in Hawsker does good food (can't remember its name) and is about a fifteen minute walk.

John

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Ther's a lovely site at Warren Mill, has a great little club on site with bar meals, fantastic views over Budle Bay.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
It would be nice to get a response from the OP to all these suggested sites:Doh:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
There's a big article on this very subject in this months Practical Motorhome.

Cheers
Alan

Thank you I will get a copy.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
It would be nice to get a response from the OP to all these suggested sites:Doh:

I assume that OP is "original poster" ??

Thank you, however I prefer to thank people who respond to a question when the post has nearly reached an end unless a reply from me is relevent to an ongoing discussion, otherwse you have to keep posting to thank a few people at a time. Furthermore I have no internet at home so have to log on when I am in he office which is not for a few days sometimes as I travel a lot.
Anyway thank you for your comment.
Regards - Ian

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks for everyones suggestions (thus far) looks like there are a lot of sites that fit the bill. I will print off this thread so I can look up a few sites mentioned in my sites books at home, and keep a record for our jollies in sept.
Ian :thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
With all these sugestions looks like I need to schedule a trip.

Andy

I have been to Northumberland a few times in the past as I used to shoot up there sometimes. Been to Lindisfare, Berwick, Alnwick etc. never been on the east coast between Bridlington and Newcastle so looking fwd to it.
Its a beautifull area and much quieter than the lakes etc, the beaches are loverly and relatively empty.
Ian

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I love Northumberland too but let's not shout about it, keep it to ourselves or it will get busy!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I love Northumberland too but let's not shout about it, keep it to ourselves or it will get busy!

Oh beggar...........I should have thought about that.

Northumberland is RUBBISH no one should ever go there.....::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back