Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Last Monday evening we returned from our first trip to the Mosel and thought that others who are planning a trip might like to know how we got on.

We started at Trier. There was a queue of traffic as we entered the town and police flagged us down and said "Camping?" When we said, "Yes", they pointed out the direction to take. All the car parks had height restrictions and so it had to be the aire/stellplatz. Once you drive through the barrier you have to pay to get out again, so we decided to stay overnight. We intended to walk into Trier but were told that the walk to the tourist information office and Porta Nigra was about 5 kilometres there and back, so that was a no-no. It was Saturday afternoon and, just as we got the chairs set up outside the ‘van, very loud music started from the adjacent fairground. It went on until well after midnight - not a good start! We don’t know if the fair is there all the time or just at weekends.

The next day we moved on to Pölich, decided we didn't like the aire there, so went to a delightful campsite (Moselcamping "Pölicher Held") where we were pitched right next to the Mosel. It was an ideal spot and the weather was warm and sunny. We liked it so much that we stayed for 2 days. The proprietors were lovely and they had a small restaurant/bar.

We wanted to have a look at Trittenheim and to fill up with diesel but the main road – where the filling station was located – was closed. We and several others tried to find another way in but every time we drove back to the main road it was barriered off. We gave up!

We went on to Bernkastel-Kues but motorhomes were not allowed in their car parks. At the tourist information office we were told that there is a stellplatz for motorhomes but you are not allowed to stay overnight. We got details of a campsite “Campingplatz Kueser Werth” and went there. The next morning we drove to the motorhome car park and there was a pleasant walk along the river to the town centre, going past the ruins of Landshut Castle high on the hill on the opposite side of the Mosel. Bernkastel-Kues is very picturesque with a large number of beautiful medieval buildings. You can get boat trips from here but the day was not warm enough for us to sit on deck so we decided our boat trip would have to wait for another day further along the Mosel.

We drove on through Traben-Trarbach and came to a stellplatz at Enkirch. Lots of motorhomes but not one English. Nice people here though and one particularly helpful old German gentleman who, although we had some difficulty understanding him as he spoke no English and our German is limited, insisted on helping us with electric, water and rubbish! It rained all night in Enkirch and was still raining the next morning when we said goodbye to our new German friend, so we never did get to see the village.

Cochem was another town on our must-see list but again, they didn’t want motorhomes parked in the town and we eventually got a space near the railway station. We walked into the town but were a little disappointed – perhaps we didn’t go to the right areas but the weather wasn’t great so we didn’t stay long.

Next on our list was Burg Eltz (Eltz Castle) but we couldn’t find an aire nearby and ended up at the Campingplatz zur Burg Eltz. It was run by a German couple and the wife spoke excellent English. The husband did not and decided to ignore us. It seems that most of the work was done by his wife and maintenance was not in the husband’s vocabulary as the site was very run down.

The next day our Sat Nav took us on winding roads up and up into the hills to reach the car park which was above Eltz Castle. Then there is a walk down through the forest to the castle. The signpost said that the walk is 1.1 kms but it seemed much further. However, suddenly there was a gap in the trees and you could see the magnificent castle. People walking alongside us gasped, as did we, at the sight. As our American friends say, “It is awesome!” The castle has been owned by the same family since it was built in the 12th century. It has been maintained to a very high standard and, unlike other castles in the area, it has never been damaged by the various wars in that part of Germany. We went on a guided tour, led by a very knowledgeable English-speaking German guide. It was one of the highlights of our visit to the Mosel Valley. When we finished the tour we found out that we could get a mini-bus to the car park for 2 euros each, rather than climbing back uphill. What a good idea!

We were running out of time, so our next stop had to be Koblenz and we arrived around 5.30 pm at the Knaus Campingpark. It’s not cheap to camp there but it’s in a great position by Deutsches Eck (German Corner) where the Mosel river meets the mighty Rhine. It was amazing watching huge cargo vessels navigate around the Corner. We were pitched opposite the monument to Kaiser Wilhelm I (Emperor William), which was on the other side of the river. The next morning we drove into Koblenz but, not having any tourist info, we didn’t find anything of particular interest and so we set off down the Rhine to find another stellplatz to stay.

Our tour had started in Dunkerque and we travelled through France, Belgium, (Ghent was wonderful) Holland (Valkenburg where we had spent a memorable Millennium New Year’s Eve 15 years ago), Germany (through the Mosel Valley to Koblenz and then down alongside the Rhine), Luxembourg (we stopped off at Luxembourg City and had lunch in the ‘van about 200 yards from The Grand Ducal Palace) and then on through France for the Dunkerque ferry back to England.

We probably tried to do too much in the time we had available (we usually do!) but it was a very enjoyable trip. What we did learn is that it doesn’t matter what nationality people are, the majority are extremely nice people and very welcoming and helpful. Our only regret was that we didn’t get our boat trip as the weather didn’t improve until we left Rudesheim on the Rhine.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for sharing this. Moselle and Rhine is our next trip. Nearly went this year but Provence won instead. Will use your experience when planning Mosel next.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Thanks for posting! On our list too.
We've just retuned from Germany doing too much as you said but thorughly enjoyed it. We did a bit of the Romantic Road, a bit of the Alpine road and a night on the Rhine on the way back with Bertchesgaden and Obertsdorf in between.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. Good to read about others trips. It sounds as if you did try to take a fair bit in, although it depends how long you were over for. There are quite a few nice stellaplatz next to the river Moselle, I have done the main part a few times and some photos are on the showcase if you want to see them. Broken Link Removed
I have found that parking up and then cycling along the river is the best way to see the area and get into some of the towns.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Good read,thanks. We're hoping to do that in September but the other way to you, starting in the north and traveling south.
This all depends on the weather of course, may well end up in Provence.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We stayed a a stell platz just outside Bernkastel-Kues a few years ago you could overnight and it even had a porta cabin loo and shower block it was right next to the Moselle and an easy walk into the town

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We were at Camping Schenk last week (€18 p/N, ehu €0.70 per kw/h) it's right next door to the stelle platze (€10 p/n) 1.8 miles from Kues but a nice cycle ride along the Mosel path, especially at dusk when the fireflies are out. A nice site with lots of resident touring vans and great views of the river and vineyards. Site is dotted with fruit trees and the cherries were sweet and ripe, need to go back when the peaches are ready !

OP
OP
Rob and Val

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Good write up thank you and glad you had a great time(y) no pics though??:cool:
We used the camcorder more than the camera and I'm still working out how to capture stills from a movie. Anyway, here's a few: -
Ghent.jpg
Burg Eltz.jpg
KW1.jpg
KW1b.jpg

OP
OP
Rob and Val

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi. Good to read about others trips. It sounds as if you did try to take a fair bit in, although it depends how long you were over for. There are quite a few nice stellaplatz next to the river Moselle, I have done the main part a few times and some photos are on the showcase if you want to see them. Broken Link Removed
I have found that parking up and then cycling along the river is the best way to see the area and get into some of the towns.
Some stunning photos there, @gozomike. Unfortunately, it would be difficult - if not impossible - to carry bikes as we have a rear opening door. We did talk about hiring bikes but the weather was against us. Our best weather days were in Trier and Polrich at the beginning of our Mosel journey. After that the weather deteriorated and only really improved once we got to Luxembourg. :(

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
rear opening door
Hi
I used to have that issue on the old van but as I am on my own I carried a fold up one inside. I still carry it inside on the new van but now have more space and other options.

Your photos have come out well. :)(y)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Nice account of your travels, thanks for posting. Photos look good too. We are making a return trip to the Rhine, Mosel next month.

Paul

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks this gives us a great insite as to what to expect, our first stay will probably be at Koblenz and work south probably finishing at trier

?

Deleted User
Where is the castle in the 2nd picture? Going back in September and did the Cochem one what was disappointing so looking to visit another. I was in Vianden in Luxembourg and did not have time to visit that castle. Apparently i missed out so looking to visit more of them.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Where is the castle in the 2nd picture? Going back in September and did the Cochem one what was disappointing so looking to visit another. I was in Vianden in Luxembourg and did not have time to visit that castle. Apparently i missed out so looking to visit more of them.

I think @irv636 might have some pics of the castle at Vianden, we did it on the motorbikes 5 or 6 years ago and revisited last year in our campers. I really enjoyed the military museum in Diekirch in Luxembourg too.

?

Deleted User
I think @irv636 might have some pics of the castle at Vianden, we did it on the motorbikes 5 or 6 years ago and revisited last year in our campers. I really enjoyed the military museum in Diekirch in Luxembourg too.

A bloke on another forum did the Vianden castle with his wife and it was looking at his pictures that made me want to visit but its not the same as seeing things for yourself. I got there late and was only staying one night. Not relay playing in Luxembourg this year. Just going to Route66 to buy some Contraband then over to the Moselle for a couple of days. North to Holland for a bike rally with a few mates and some alcohol abuse. Might have to start getting the liver into shape soon :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There is parking right by the river in Cochem, but it gets busy.

Last time we were in Bernkastel Keus you could park overnight in the car park under the road bridge opposite side of the river to the main town, you have to park up and display your free first hour ticket and then go to the tourist information and you will get a ticket for up to 3 days, we didn't stop as we were too big for the spots so we stayed at Piesport and the drove back and paid to park for a few hours, there is a MH service point in the big car park.

Zell is worth a visit and has two Stellplatz.

There is a free Stellplatz a walk out of Koblenz and if you go into the Canyon bike place you can use their WiFi and even pick it up with a booster from your parking spot. It's on campercontact "busparkplatz" Pastor-Klein-Strasse

Martin

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Thankyou Martin for that info, I'm trying to remember what and where everyone is recommending I have made notes though I don't think I am going to fit everywhere in in a fortnight lol

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thankyou Martin for that info, I'm trying to remember what and where everyone is recommending I have made notes though I don't think I am going to fit everywhere in in a fortnight lol
Just leave a bit for another trip, if you go to Trier do not miss the inside of the Cathedral I was blown away.

Martin

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
...and take bikes if you have them, the cycle path along the river gives great access to the vinyards and hamlets (y)

?

Deleted User
I dont think the Cochem campsight is that expensife but for you tight gits who dont want to give the camp sight your money. See this link where the camp sight ends (North side) Its waste land and lots of campers and trucks spend the night here. As you will see you are just behind Aldi and a few other shops as well as some hot food outlets

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...1s0x47be470d25520f9b:0x2a2e299446316b9b?hl=en

The road shown passing the front of the camp sight going south is a safe path into town what is only a 20 minute at the most walk. Main town center is over the 2nd bridge. Take a torch for getting back up that path as some parts have no lighting or do what the wife an me did. Got drunk and got the barman to get us a taxi :)

?

Deleted User
As a matter of interest, if you aren't a Kwak what are you ?
Years ago i had to quickly come up with a name for an ebay account. I had just sold my GPX600 at the time so was bikeless. Once again as i not long sold my GPz750 i am bikeless so i may as well use the name again

meanderer

Free Member
Jan 28, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the write up... Looks FUN :)

We pick up our new camper next week - so I'm checking out trips and working up some options... Looks like your time was pretty crammed - how long was the trip and roughly how many miles covered? I think we all bite off more than we can chew, but my 'wish list' trip would end up 2500-3000 miles - so I reckon two weeks is not enough!!

Any other thoughts on practical distance expectations for a trip much appreciated.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back