Portable oxygen concentrator? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, Mike has to have one of these and after explaining that we are away for some time and need a portable, rather than a standard device, the hospital have prescribed a Sequal Eclipse. Having done a lot of research we were hoping it was going to be the much smaller Inagen. Does anyone have experience of either of these systems and can advise on which would be best.

He has to be on 2 litres of oxygen for 15 hours a day.

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
They delivered the oxygen concentrator this afternoon, but apparently we cannot take it abroad as it is not supported outside UK.

How do other funsters cope with this situation ?

Ginny

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A bit of Googling suggests there are companies which rent these things so it should be possible to get one which can be taken away - though I guess you would want to stay near civilisation. Not too far away from support.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
A bit of Googling suggests there are companies which rent these things so it should be possible to get one which can be taken away - though I guess you would want to stay near civilisation. Not too far away from support.

Trouble is we are leaving for Spain a week on Friday, the hospital knew this and prescribed the portable model, rather than the standard home model.

Ginny

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
My sister has to have one, but as she's in Oz, not much use asking her ....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Phone the hospital and speak with the technician - see if she or he can come up with a solution. This can't be a new problem - they may even have a machine they could loan you.

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
Hi, Mike has to have one of these and after explaining that we are away for some time and need a portable, rather than a standard device, the hospital have prescribed a Sequal Eclipse. Having done a lot of research we were hoping it was going to be the much smaller Inagen. Does anyone have experience of either of these systems and can advise on which would be best.

He has to be on 2 litres of oxygen for 15 hours a day.

Ginny

The technical spec for the Inogen portable concentrator says it is battery operated (rechargeable) with a life of 2-4 hours dependant on the flow level and usage. It has to be charged from a 15 amp supply, so if you're out and about, may not last out.

As you are in Yorkshire the likely contractor supplying the hospital/you is Baywater Healthcare. They have a helpline 0800 373580 and are they really are helpful. They say they can probably give you local contacts abroad for oxygen supplies.

The hospital should have advised you that it is necessary to inform your home, car, motorhome insurers that you carry oxygen equipment. There is generally no extra premium to pay.

Good luck.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The hospital should have advised you that it is necessary to inform your home, car, motorhome insurers that you carry oxygen equipment. There is generally no extra premium to pay.
and the local fire station for storing or using oxygen at home

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi Ginny, am in same situation of needing 2litres over 16 hours how have you found it? Am new to m/homing and would be grateful for any help.
Neil

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Mike has the standard machine for use all night and the Inogen with a spare battery for use in the motorhome or when he is out and about? It charges from 240 and 12 volt.

We have 2 solar panels, and 2 leisure batteries so if the weather is good we don't have a problem, although it is easier with EHU. We have had 240 and 12 volt sockets fitted in the garage so it is out of the way when he uses it during the night.

Hope this helps

Ginny

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
This is all new to us and I always have problems grasping what it all looks like. But once au fait with it no problems, still trying to get head round all the extras needed in m/home

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi Mike has the standard machine for use all night and the Inogen with a spare battery for use in the motorhome or when he is out and about? It charges from 240 and 12 volt.

We have 2 solar panels, and 2 leisure batteries so if the weather is good we don't have a problem, although it is easier with EHU. We have had 240 and 12 volt sockets fitted in the garage so it is out of the way when he uses it during the night.

Hope this helps

Ginny
If your struggling on 12volt it might be generator time?

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Haven't got round to trying anything as yet, trying to be proactive

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If your struggling on 12volt it might be generator time?

Mike has been resisting a generator for the last 3 years, whilst we can cope with the solar and inverter we will carry on as we are.

There might come a time when we need a generator we will see what happens.

Ginny

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'd try asking round your local GPs surgeries. When my father in law died, we donated the machine to the surgery & apparently this kind of thing is quite common. The one he had was a low energy usage portable so presumably that type would be ideal for a Motorhome.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I'd try asking round your local GPs surgeries. When my father in law died, we donated the machine to the surgery & apparently this kind of thing is quite common. The one he had was a low energy usage portable so presumably that type would be ideal for a Motorhome.

Mike's oxygen machines are prescribed on the NHS and include running costs. He has to have checkups at the hospital every 3 months to check how much flow he needs.

Ginny[/QUOTE]

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Bumping this up.

How did folk get on in a van with concentrator?

I've an InogenOne G3 4 and a bit hr battery life at 4 Litres/min. Currently fitting 240 amp hour (2*120) leisure battery, 200W of solar panel to make up the other power use and a 20 amp charger for the batteries.

Not linking the leisure and vehicle batteries so that the latter is there as backup, won't wear the alternator out and can be used to get to a plug socket if needed

We'll have portable cylinder and conserver as back up.

cheers for any experience, planning to try the set up out at home for a few nights first

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Bumping this up.

How did folk get on in a van with concentrator?

I've an InogenOne G3 4 and a bit hr battery life at 4 Litres/min. Currently fitting 240 amp hour (2*120) leisure battery, 200W of solar panel to make up the other power use and a 20 amp charger for the batteries.

Not linking the leisure and vehicle batteries so that the latter is there as backup, won't wear the alternator out and can be used to get to a plug socket if needed

We'll have portable cylinder and conserver as back up.

cheers for any experience, planning to try the set up out at home for a few nights first

Hi, Mike copes well with the Inogen in the Motorhome, we have a spare battery and if we charge both batteries during daylight we can run for a few hours in the evening.

We tend to use the concentrator more during the day and evening rather than using it all night which he does at home. We don't take the back up oxygen bottle, apart from the weight I wouldn't feel safe with it in the garage.

It's just a case of working out what works best for you in the end.

Ginny

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Thanks Ginny. I'm on it 24/7 and become pretty unwell without it so the backup is essential, just need to secure it and keep away from the gas, same as spares at home really.

Hoping I'll be able to test the planned system out in a week or two - solar panels being fitted next week. The Inogen is so much better than relying on portable cylinders as I did previously.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby

Attachments

• oxygen1.JPG
    oxygen1.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
It looks a good system but luckily Mike is able to cope with the Inogen and spare battery in the motorhome at the moment.

Ginny

Jul 29, 2016
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 237
Exp
im a newbie
Thought I would add to this thread rather than start another.

My wife Deb is on 3/4 Ltrs 24/7 and we are looking for a MH at the moment.

We spoke to baywater about using her Inogen One portable on a 24/7 basis and they said as it only delivers pulse it would not be do-able. They said they would need to fit a machine in the MH and to get in touch when we get the one. Not sure of the type/size or power needs for said machine so will update here as and when.

We went to the Lincoln show recently and her Inogen on battery only gave us about 2 1/2 hours browsing time.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There was a member of a little c/van club who needed oxygen 24 hrs and ran it off a Honda 2 suitcase? generator,when it was known,he came on our rallies and parked up on the end of a row.
It was NO trouble at all.
Best of luck for the future.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have the Inogen with a spare battery. Mike used it 15 hours a day, but not at night in the Motorhome because pulse is not effective when you are asleep, if you don’t take a breath through your nose the alarm beeps. We found one battery in use and one on charge worked for us during the day (we had 2 solar panels) but if you are on 24 hours you will need to be on hook up or a generator.

After many years motorhoming we decided that Mike’s deteriorating health meant we had to sell the Motorhome in July so oxygen is no longer a problem, but missing Motorhomefun friends most certainly is!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back