Scottish Government agree Loch Lomond camping ban. (2 Viewers)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
It appears that the much debated wild camping ban proposed for the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park has been approved and will be passed into law in 2017. The delay is, allegedly, to allow time for the creation, provision of low cost camping places to enable a more controlled environment in this area of "special interest"......... Vested interests more like!
Outrageous decision!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/scottish-government-approves-lomond-camping-ban/0014345/

Bryan

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
It'll be interesting to see how many MSP's have a finger in the pie...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It'll be interesting to see how many MSP's have a finger in the pie...
Why should there be any? From what I've seen from the NPA over the last few years (including provision for motorhomes) they have identified a problem and are trying to do something constructive about it rather than just implementing a blanket ban. The problem was mainly caused by yobs from Glasgow in cars and tents but, as mentioned, the NPA has taken the opportunity to address extra provision for motorhomes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It appears that the much debated wild camping ban proposed for the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park has been approved and will be passed into law in 2017. The delay is, allegedly, to allow time for the creation, provision of low cost camping places to enable a more controlled environment in this area of "special interest"......... Vested interests more like!
Outrageous decision!

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/scottish-government-approves-lomond-camping-ban/0014345/

Bryan
What is outrageous about it? Just like any other publicly funded body, the NPA can't be expected to keep throwing good money after bad dealing with the behaviour of yobs.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Bet that kind of policy soon spreads to the rest of Scotland.
Hopefully not at least in the near future...
The problem with Loch lomond area ,is its proximity to the heavily populated area around Glasgow. .. I suspect a lot use it because it is so convenient and have little respect for the area or others...
As populations grow and people have more leisure time it becomes an issue everywhere ,but Scotland is still a last outpost where for want of a better expression wild camping is largely tolerated
Ta andy

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The problem with Loch lomond area ,is its proximity to the heavily populated area around Glasgow. .. I suspect a lot use it because it is so convenient and have little respect for the area or others...
As populations grow and people have more leisure time it becomes an issue everywhere ,but Scotland is still a last outpost where for want of a better expression wild camping is largely tolerated
Ta andy
Agreed. But how do you police a decision like that?? o_O

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ta andy
Yes, I've heard of no other plans. Indeed (as mentioned in Broken Link Removed) action is likely to be taken only in specific areas where problems are caused by irresponsible people.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Perhaps if people were to record and report irresponsible behavior (not confront the miscreants) then the authorities could take some action?

EDIT: Have taken photos and sent to Perth City Council when abuse of their P&R facility spotted. Mind the rubbish and recycle bins were full and overflowing so I didn't hold out much hope of action :(

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Highland Council policy which I referred to in my last post was only ever a policy of deterrence. That is why they never went to the expense of legal orders to back the No Overnight Parking signs in laybys and in car parks opened after 1996. They relied on abuse not happening through self-policing but (so it appears anyway) they now realise that notices are not needed in most cases because most motorhomers are responsible.

The problems at Loch Lomond are caused by identifiable yobs and the area is rather smaller so able to be dealt with by Police Scotland.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well have opinions on that .. and for what it's worth I think a bit more effort could have been made to prevent abuse of facilities before the present situation was reached... There are rangers employed but never seem to be about to monitor things... It mainly wk end... More phone numbers on display for people to report,but of course we are back to the same thing... They have to turn out at the time... not days later.. Bit like the dog dirt wardens..never there at the correct time yet everyone else seems to know when most of the abuse takes place...
Just my opinion mind and don't want to start a war lol...
Ta andy

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well have opinions on that .. and for what it's worth I think a bit more effort could have been made to prevent abuse of facilities before the present situation was reached... There are rangers employed but never seem to be about to monitor things... It mainly wk end... More phone numbers on display for people to report,but of course we are back to the same thing... They have to turn out at the time... not days later.. Bit like the dog dirt wardens..never there at the correct time yet everyone else seems to know when most of the abuse takes place...
Just my opinion mind and don't want to start a war lol...
Ta andy
No war mate, I agree with you 100%(y)

2.00 am. "knock KNOCK....Helooooo, I'm a polis officer. ye cana park here, the noo.....Yer will have ta moooooove, reet noo......"!

"Sure officer, but yee ken, A have drunk a few wee toddies the neet....Can I still drive, the noooooooooooooo....And if I can wil ye jest poot that doon in real writing, if yer can write, that is, yer ken".:)

(Translation compliments of Google)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is what they are trying to stop:

Loch Lomand.jpg

In this article it says "true wild camping" will still be permitted by which I assume folk camping in lightweight tents away from roads, particularly those walking the West Highland Way. I also suspect a responsibly parked MH would be tolerated - it just needs someone to test the waters!
Broken Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

View attachment 90813

In this article it says "true wild camping" will still be permitted by which I assume folk camping in lightweight tents away from roads, particularly those walking the West Highland Way. I also suspect a responsibly parked MH would be tolerated - it just needs someone to test the waters!
Broken Link Removed
Wild camping under the right to roam legislation has never included vehicular use. Camping in vehicles is apparently going to be restricted in some laybys but certainly not all. The legislation will only cover about 5% of the national park anyway.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

View attachment 90813

Broken Link Removed
That's a beach in Greece............Or on the road to Germany...........Isn't it??? :rofl:

Reactions: DBK
?

Deleted User
What is outrageous about it? Just like any other publicly funded body, the NPA can't be expected to keep throwing good money after bad dealing with the behaviour of yobs.
Im with him ^^ to many people leaving there crap for others to clear up. Its been happening for years and enough is enough. Yes you may be one of the many who clean as you go but all the other diddys chucking the beer bottles at Nessie is not on.

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
This isn't an MH thing and never was (I think). It's pop up tents and carry outs from neds who go up to Loch Lomond and aren't housetrained enough to to tidy up after themselves.. It's the weegie equivalent of driving with your grey waste pipe open or dumping your thetford contents at the side of the road.

Gibber

Dave

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Could be could be the end of a great area depending on interpretation. Scotland in particular needs visitors.

?

Deleted User
Could be could be the end of a great area depending on interpretation. Scotland in particular needs visitors.

Nah that is borderline drama queen mate. I think what this is if they have park rangers now they have a law behind them and can shift the messy little scrotes. Ill bet if you are parked up in your motorhome and not making a mess or being a pain in the ass to others or the environment they will just leave you alone.
You will never please all the people all the time

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Stopped at a campsite on Loch Lomond once to be greeted by an infestation of mosquitos and midges so never again for us!

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
A petition has been started in an effort to reverse this legislation and needs your support. If you feel strongly enough about this proposed alteration to "wild camping" opportunities in the National Park then please follow the link below and give consideration to signing the petition.
Your help is important, your signature will help!

https://www.change.org/p/aileen-mcl...publish&utm_term=des-lg-share_petition-no_msg

Bryan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
By all means support wild campers but, before any motorhomers get carried away, the petition specifically mentions "innocent walkers, cyclists and canoeists". Not surprising really as camping in a motorhome does not come within the definition of wild camping (it also mentions "our access rights" which does not include any camping involving vehicles).

evira

Free Member
Oct 22, 2015
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
since 2002
has this not happened because the park wardens do not wan't to create confrontations with pissed up yoofs? the problems needed to be addressed by the local plod using conventional means and the Scottish government should be ashamed of themselves. If anything this will only push the problem wider although it hasn't ever been restricted to the banned areas. I've seen the lack of respect all over the place during my tenting days. I overnighted many times in my last van in different places around the loch and have not been bothered by anyone.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
has this not happened because the park wardens do not wan't to create confrontations with pissed up yoofs? the problems needed to be addressed by the local plod using conventional means and the Scottish government should be ashamed of themselves. If anything this will only push the problem wider although it hasn't ever been restricted to the banned areas. I've seen the lack of respect all over the place during my tenting days. I overnighted many times in my last van in different places around the loch and have not been bothered by anyone.
The way I understand it is this.
Conventional means (in terms of offences which can be dealt with such as littering) are insufficiently strong to deter the yobs from repeat offending.
As regards pushing the problem wider, yes yobs cause problems all over the place but the serious problem is confined to a relatively small area (about 5% of the National Park). Keep the yobs out of there and most won't go elsewhere because they are too lazy.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
A petition has been started in an effort to reverse this legislation and needs your support. If you feel strongly enough about this proposed alteration to "wild camping" opportunities in the National Park then please follow the link below and give consideration to signing the petition.
Your help is important, your signature will help!

https://www.change.org/p/aileen-mcl...publish&utm_term=des-lg-share_petition-no_msg

Bryan

Now, there's a first ........ Quoting my own post.

For those interested, the petition is 1500+ and counting! Follow link for update.

https://www.change.org/p/aileen-mcl...8&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email

Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I've done it ,but can't help feeling their minds are made up...
Live in hope(y)
Andy

I fear you are probably right @andy63 don't suppose the numbers will ever be big enough to force Dragon Sturgeon
to turn it over......... but trying to is important.

Bryan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back