Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
Hi There,
My indicators are flashing too fast on my 1998 Hymer B544, all bulbs are lighting and hazards are working perfectly

Any ideas?

Raymond

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
If all are working OK then it should be down to the relay.

OP
OP
finyar

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for that , but if my hazards are working does this not rule out the relay as it sounds like the same relay is engaging when I turn the hazards on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
You've obviously checked usual cause, a blown bulb, so may be duff relay. Also does it have any side repeaters you may have overlooked when checking bulbs, ie on wing mirrors or on side panels?
Also do hazards work normal speed and is the fast indicator same whether near side or offside?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Shot in the dark, have you got a build that has gone high resistance, look carefully to see it one bulb is dimmer than the rest, otherwise one of the relays, probably has a second relay for the hazards.

OP
OP
finyar

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
The hazards are flashing at normal rate and both sides are behaving the same.

I haven't checked the side repeaters so that will be my next check and if nothing there I will then check for a dim bulb

On the faulty earth, any idea where I would look?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The flasher unit (if the same one is used for the hazards) isn't as sensitive to faults when in hazard mode as it is when it's in flasher mode. There are a couple of problems when trying to diagnose this fault: the first is knowing whether it's a combined flasher/hazard relay, the second is knowing whether it's an electronic or mechanical flasher unit. If the flasher speed is the same for both left- and right- hand flashers then it is very unlikely that a bulb or individual flasher feed is affecting it - it would need to be two, one at each side. That leaves either the +ve or earth feed to the flasher relay or the wire from it to the column switch. The easiest first check is to substitute the flasher unit. Incidentally the legal requirement is 60 to 120 flashes per minute.

OP
OP
finyar

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
Tony,
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I enclose two photo's of the indicator relay and also one of the Hazard switch.

It looks like a mechanical relay to me but I'm no expert so could be wrong

Attachments

• 20160125_210904_resized.jpg
    20160125_210904_resized.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20160125_210909_resized.jpg
    20160125_210909_resized.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20160124_124135_resized.jpg
    20160124_124135_resized.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 46

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Do you have a towbar? Could be to do with trailer socket.

OP
OP
finyar

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
I do have a towbar, so I will also check this also

Will try to source a new relay today and rule that out first

OP
OP
finyar

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
Just checked the side repeaters and both working (albeit flashing too fast)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I used to have this problem years ago when I had a motor bike of uncertain parentage (at least that's what I called it when it refused to start :whistle:)
Just a suggestion if you're sure ALL the bulbs are working. If you could swap one of the bulbs for a higher wattage, I think that might slow it down.
Can you tell I'm no Sparky(y)(y)(y)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
My truck a 1997 swift lifestyle 520 on a fiat Duccato
failed its test indicators flashing to fast
Funny same tester passed it year before
Indicators running as fast then
Built into the loome behind headlights
there was a Bulb holder
put a bulb in each
Pass said mot man
Indicators slowed to normal speed

I didn't find out why but they were from build
Or very well installed

?

Deleted User
I used to have this problem years ago when I had a motor bike of uncertain parentage (at least that's what I called it when it refused to start :whistle:)
Just a suggestion if you're sure ALL the bulbs are working. If you could swap one of the bulbs for a higher wattage, I think that might slow it down.
Can you tell I'm no Sparky(y)(y)(y)
I had it with my last bike. I had put mini indicators on the back and the bulbs were two different wattage. Has the OP changed a bulb lately?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Isn't the mechanical one just a bi metal strip that heats and cools to make and break? Could be tired and making too quickly.

OP
OP
finyar

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all your help, tonight I fitted a replacement relay unit but unfortunately this made no difference.

Will look at tow bar next

Raymond

OP
OP
finyar

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
I just thought I should give you all an update

I tackled the wiring on the towbar today as the next logical step in my hunt and discovered that the towbar had its own relay which was hidden in behind the rear bumper.

When I examined this, I found it to be wet and dirty so I cleaned all the contacts, unfortunatly this made no difference

I then removed both rear light clusters and checked all the connections there and these all seemed fine.

I still had a niggle about the towbar so I snipped one of the indicator electric wires before it was spliced for the towbar and then wired this directly to the indicator. Hey presto problem solved on one side

I then tried the same trick on the opposite side and also solved the problem.

In the end I disconnected the complete towbar wiring loom (for the moment) and everything is now back to normal

I strongly suspect that the towbar relay is destroyed and will order a new one before thinking of reconnecting

As always thanks for all your help and advice

Raymond

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I just thought I should give you all an update

I tackled the wiring on the towbar today as the next logical step in my hunt and discovered that the towbar had its own relay which was hidden in behind the rear bumper.

When I examined this, I found it to be wet and dirty so I cleaned all the contacts, unfortunatly this made no difference

I then removed both rear light clusters and checked all the connections there and these all seemed fine.

I still had a niggle about the towbar so I snipped one of the indicator electric wires before it was spliced for the towbar and then wired this directly to the indicator. Hey presto problem solved on one side

I then tried the same trick on the opposite side and also solved the problem.

In the end I disconnected the complete towbar wiring loom (for the moment) and everything is now back to normal

I strongly suspect that the towbar relay is destroyed and will order a new one before thinking of reconnecting

As always thanks for all your help and advice

Raymond
OK, I've got all that but I don't understand why there is a relay back there anyway? On mine there is a junction box where the original wiring loom reached too (Boxer) then at the back of each light cluster there is a smaller box each side where the tow bar electrics are joined into,no sign of a relay?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Glad it's sorted, I suspected it because I'd had a similar problem, though in my case it was the the trailer indicator buzzer going off. Turned out the relay was in a "watertight" box which some muppett had fitted upside down, which meant it filled with water through the vent hole, with no means off escape.

OP
OP
finyar

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
OK, I've got all that but I don't understand why there is a relay back there anyway? On mine there is a junction box where the original wiring loom reached too (Boxer) then at the back of each light cluster there is a smaller box each side where the tow bar electrics are joined into,no sign of a relay?

I am not certain that it is a relay but it certainly is some kind of electronic box, I enclose a photo which may shed some light on what it is

Attachments

• 20160127_130116_resized.jpg
    20160127_130116_resized.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 36

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I am not certain that it is a relay but it certainly is some kind of electronic box, I enclose a photo which may shed some light on what it is
It could be a reversing buzzer but it doesn't matter a jot as long as you can calm the flashers down does it really. If you wanted one put it in a 'dry' spot (y)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Definately a relay, mainly used in Merc cars apparently?

Dodgy Link Removed

Dodgy Link Removed

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
think its the relay to show additional indicator warning light/buzzer when towing,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back