Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
We have just booked our ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam for June and we are planning to go into Germany. This will be our first time taking the van across the water and was wondering Which was the best to concentrate on ...Moselle ,Rhine, (or both) or the romantic road,? We have 2 weeks ,and have never been to Germany before so would really like some info , tips on stellplatz,sites etc and the best places that we must see on our holiday
Thanks Barbara X

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We did both in August last year and had a great time,so I would say a mixture of the two.
We only had 11 days so didnt do the romantic road so that will definetly be for another time.
We started at Saarburg then to Trier,Cochem,Bernkastel Kues and Koblenz.
I have done Cochem a few times on my motorbike,and is well worth a visit.One of my favorite
places was Koblenz.
We also did Ypres on the way back to the tunnel, for the last post ceremony which is every night at
8 oclock.A must see in my opinion and very moving.
We used mostly Stelplatz which are every where.You will love it!

?

Deleted User
Never did the Rhine apart from following some of it for a quick blast up from Italy to Amsterdam on a lads tour.

I would say the Moselle is fantastic but in danger of getting all the samie if you know what i mean. Two, three days would be enough on one trip for me. Cochem camp sight was cheap for us. Hired a caravan for two nights and it was €90 what included TV, power, showers and hot water. It was clean and right on the river. 15-20 minute walk into town. Some dark bit on the path so a torch may be handy in the bag. Castle is nice for a visit but you cant roam around, you must be on the guided tour. Cable car up the hill takes you to an expensive restaurant, walk past that and the path takes you to a theme park and a small zoo. Take walking shes or trainers, just not your heels. Jo662 mentions Trier. Sorry but i found it a dump and would never go back. Fancy a visit to Koblenz myself. Wife has been but years ago and from what she remembers she loved it. Looking to explore a wee bit more of the area myself this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Jo, did you have any difficulties getting parked on the stellplatz Or anything..can you just turn up or were they very busy? As we are coming through the from Amsterdam we were going to stay at koblenz first and finish up in trier I've been to Ypres and Menin gate before on our motorcycles too we will probably go back that way to the ferry port,back through Belgium and into Holland again

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I would think in June out of the main season the stellplatze would not be too busy, we did the Rhine and Moselle August the year before and got into Cologne and the other main sites without a problem but needed to arrive earlier in the day. We had to avoid Koblenz as it was the flames over the Rhine that weekend and everything was booked up in advance but the good thing about those two routes is every town practically has a stellplatze so if one is full move on.

If you are planning on visiting the Bridge at Remagen their is a stellplatze at Thermal-Freibad close by we used which is under shade outside an open air thermal pool.

We would avoid the stellplatze at Kobern-Kondorf as it was too noisy with trains and HGV,s passing by on both sides.

Zell and Wintrich were both waterside and recommended.

Cheers Guy

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Don't forget that you may need an Umwelt sticker to legally drive in some German cities: Cologne for example (although there is a route to the stellplatz which is "free").

Enjoy - Gordon

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Both. All of the Moselle which is not long, then on to the Rhine at Koblenze and go gown to Sankt Goar.

That is more than enough miles for two weeks, to enjoy the wonderful scenery, food and wine properly.

Hundreds of places to stop.

Don't forget to sample every schwartzwaltkirchetorte you can get your hands on, worth the trip for that alone.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Lived in Germany for more than three years and we didn't have time to scratch the surface of either the Moselle or Rhine. Lots of good advice on here, you're going at an excellent time of the year too. Enjoy, but fwiw take it slow or you'll miss much of what Germany (away from the cities) has to offer.......there's always next year after all.(y)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We spent 3 weeks on the Moselle staying on stellplatze and managed to cycle almost the full length of the river. Did stay on 1 campsite but not impressed for the price the stellplatze are much better.
Agreed, the campsites are very expensive for what they offer, Stellplatze much better value and often have similar facilities too..

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Going south
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monschau
Cochem - Mosel - Boppard ferry across Rhine to Rudeshiem. Cross Rhine to
http://speyer.technik-museum.de/en/
To Black Forest and NW to find the Romantich Road. Go north to
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/home.html get on your bike for a lap (open most evenings)
Buy wine on the rivers and beer every where else or vicer versa ??? It dont matter - its all good.
The food is easy to order and always good sometime superb.
Loads of Germans speak English just dont correct their enunciation

OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you very much everybody I'm sure we are going to love our trip and I will be taking everything onboard that you mentioned ,and I won't mention the war Hilldweller :giggler::giggler:

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Jo, did you have any difficulties getting parked on the stellplatz Or anything..can you just turn up or were they very busy? As we are coming through the from Amsterdam we were going to stay at koblenz first and finish up in trier I've been to Ypres and Menin gate before on our motorcycles too we will probably go back that way to the ferry port,back through Belgium and into Holland again

We didnt have any problems finding space`s on stelplatz.There are so many,if one is full there will be another just up the road.We didnt book ahead,we just picked one out of the Bord atlas and headed to it.
We stayed at this campsite at Koblenz http://www.campercontact.com/en/ger...torhome-parking-campingplatz-rhein-mosel.aspx

It was very good for the city center.There is a foot ferry across the river to get to the city.
You will enjoy Germany its very motorhome friendly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back