May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,
I have often thought that our 2014 Bessacarr 484 (Ducato 130 based) motorhome is a bit under powered and thirsty. Has anyone out there had any experience of digital tuning boxes fitted to a motorhome, like the ones sold by Chip Express -and others. There seem to be a lot on the market of varying prices with the same claims for increased power, torque and economy, but are any of them any good? And will they do any long-term harm to the engine?
Cheers.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We had the alternative, re-flashed the ECU. Very effective torque wise. 10 years on, no problems.

If anyone claims more power + more economy they lie.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
We had the alternative, re-flashed the ECU. Very effective torque wise. 10 years on, no problems.

Incorrect
DTE tuning box on an 08 Auto Navara.
Power up from 171BHP to approx. 190BHP (and that's on a low setting)
Consumption improved from 27-28 to 29-30 solo or 17ish to 19 ish towing.
It CAN be done...........with the right kit.
Be very careful of systems that plug into the fuel rail as a lot of common rail diesels can get the hump with them.
Choose a system which plugs into each injector separately

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

Wrong I'm afraid, my Bolero low profile has been remapped and has increased power and torque, the mpg achieved over the last 18 months is between 2 to 4 mpg more efficient, proved.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I phrased that badly. If you increase the power AND YOU USE IT then you will get worse consumption.

After re-mapping ours I had one trip where I got carried away with the extra go and dropped the mpg from 24 to 20.

I guess you two have a delicate right foot and are using the extra torque to get by on lower throttle.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
With the extra torque, there is no need to use a lot of throttle, is is effortless now, as well as quieter and smoother than before. Mpg is consistently better as a result.
As an aside, how are you getting on with the Honda CB500X, I am considering a change and fancied one, as you do !.

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the comments. Do you have to notify the insurance company about the change and is there usually any extra policy cost incurred?

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Yes, you MUST inform your insurance but, considering the sort of vehicle that the chip/remap is being carried out on, it doesn't necessarily follow that there will be an increase in premiums. Contrary to popular belief, insurance companies are not fools and realise that with motorhomes, we're hardly boy racers looking to improve our 0-60 times. All depends on your own insurance co.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Thanks for all the comments. Do you have to notify the insurance company about the change and is there usually any extra policy cost incurred?

We are with Comfort, we informed them of the remap, noted but no extra charge.

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks injebreck99, what company did you use to re-map and why did you choose over Chip Express etc. plug in systems?

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Hi ian4apenny , I did a lot of research to find a reputable company, I didn't want my clutch destroyed, in the end, I went for Protune who have representatives countrywide, also recommended by Brinley at Simpsons, Gt Yarmouth.
I did not want to go the plug in tuning box route, although cheaper, l did not want the way some of them just enrich the engine with extra fuel across the rpm range from tick over, that's what destroys clutches.
Sorry l don't have contact details to hand as we are in Spain at the moment.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As an aside, how are you getting on with the Honda CB500X, I am considering a change and fancied one, as you do !.

I say no more than take a test ride. Throw it round your favourite bends.

Have a look around: http://www.cb500x.com/ So many happy over 70s you will never find in one place. Irishrover ( a Scot ) has some very enjoyable videos from one.

On there today I read that it's a brand new engine design using all the best bits of Honda tech. Resulting in 79 mpg if you get excited, I sometimes see 80 mpg which is just unbelievable. It gets up to indicated 90 more than fast enough for an Olde Farte. And dirt cheap. I have fitted hand guards and heated grips to finish the job off. Can't wait for April when it sets off for Jerez with me on top.

I'm right pissed off it's in the UK now, though I will admit that riding along sea the front in the sunshine on a humble push bike is not so much exciting but hugely enjoyable.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I will book a test ride when we return from Spain, weather permitting, like you, I wish l had my bike here as well.
How high is the seat on the Honda, I am only 5ft6 with a 29" inside leg, so seat height and weight are important, Cheers.

Deleted User
I've just bought a auto trail dakota loads of issues but rectifying as I go on, one thing I found when I had a break down lol is I have a chip express box in there not connected so, I've connected it, it's made a considerable difference to torque as for fuel consumption I'm getting 31mpg, before 19mpg, tyre pressures were very low and the air filter was yuk so, changed the lot and used some 2EHN, if you haven't usedthis pm me, it good stuff alsothis is keeping revs on 2000 without the box holding 5th at these revs is hopeless. All in all. Happy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back