Mapfactor (1 Viewer)

?

Deleted User
I have used Tomtom and a cheap Binatone sat nav. Both worked but i thought basic and slow as i could be at a junction on a motorway before the sat nav. That is confusion on large junctions in Europe. I now use iGO Primo on my android as it has more RAM and better processor than any sat nav i have used.

However. My iGO is hooky but if any of you want a cheap sat nav and have an Android phone i have also used Mapfactor....

http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/

This works very well for a free sat nav. Europe maps are also free and very up to date. It was showing an Aldi store at the end of my street what was in the process of getting built.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Somebody recommended Mapfactor to me the other day as an alternative to the (now identified) pirate Nozatec. I downloaded it to a Samsung tablet, set the vehicle dimensions and put in my normal test route which includes a road which is OK for cars but (though passable by larger vehicles) has several points where meeting another large vehicle would be problematic. The Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D and Nozatec avoid that road. Mapfactor included it so is not for me. Incidentally, the same is true of Aponia.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Somebody recommended Mapfactor to me the other day as an alternative to the (now identified) pirate Nozatec. I downloaded it to a Samsung tablet, set the vehicle dimensions and put in my normal test route which includes a road which is OK for cars but (though passable by larger vehicles) has several points where meeting another large vehicle would be problematic. The Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D and Nozatec avoid that road. Mapfactor included it so is not for me. Incidentally, the same is true of Aponia.
I've not experienced a satnav that allows vehicle dimensions input but if yours avoids roads where 'meeting another large vehicle would be problematic' does that not exclude an awful lot of rural UK?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've not experienced a satnav that allows vehicle dimensions input but if yours avoids roads where 'meeting another large vehicle would be problematic' does that not exclude an awful lot of rural UK?
The point is that there is an alternative to the road in question which can be used. On some journeys it is impossible to avoid narrow roads but where dimensions can be input the unit should use viable alternatives.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The point is that there is an alternative to the road in question which can be used. On some journeys it is impossible to avoid narrow roads but where dimensions can be input the unit should use viable alternatives.
That makes sense. Incidentally it was a serious question because I quite like using country roads - though like you only when I choose to do so :).

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Must have a look to see if i can put dimensions in my iGO. Not that i have a problem having a small van but can see a problem if using a large motor.
Only downside i see with the free sat navs is storage space on the phone. Not all can read/write to SD card so if you only have say 2GB storage you may want to look at where you are going and only download maps for that area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back