Looks like we'll be getting a new mh after all ..... (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
In my first post on here to introduce myself, I said that we were looking for an older motorhome, possibly about 15 years old. However, we went to the Motorhome Show at Manchester yesterday and it looks like we might be investing in a brand new Elddis this time next year! I have a couple of questions though, and hope someone on here will be able to help me.

Firstly, Elddis do not fit cd players any more (don't know whether other manufacturers do). Is it possible to have a cd player fitted that doesn't look as though it's an "add on"?

Secondly, the ones we're looking at, either the Accordo 105 or the Autoquest 115, are both two berth, with seatbelts only for driver and passenger. Is it possible to have seatbelts fitted to the rear, side facing, seats so that we can take family on days out?

I know I'm going to have lots and lots of questions over the coming 12 months and I'm certain this forum will be invaluable. Have you ever barred anyone for asking too many questions!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My Sunlight didn't have a CD player and it certainly doesn't look like an add on. The slot should be there just no unit so as long as you get one fitted it should be fine. I am sure you will get a lot of info regards seat belts, the legality of fixing to chassis and about the dangers of travelling sideways.
Enjoy the build up to a new MH:clap:

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Diggerdi,
I know nothing about the vans you have in mind but if you are considering taking more people than there are seat belts then you need to continue looking around.
There is lots of information on the site regarding the seat belts issue but to put it simply.
DON'T DO IT (y)
Welcome to the forum, lots and lots of good advice that can save you making expensive mistakes, enjoy the hunt.
Norman,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
retro-fitting a cd player is simple, retro-fitting seatbelts although it sounds simple is basically impossible

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Thanks for your replies. I did think that would be the case with seatbelts. Either we don't take passengers or look for a 3/4 berth. The CD player doesn't bother me as I tend to use my phone through bluetooth in the car, but my husband is a bit of a dinosaur (hope he doesn't see this!) and will not embrace new technology. He hates computers, mobile phones etc. I tried explaining that it's just the same as when they stopped putting cassette players in and replaced them with cd players. Saying that, he used to have an 8-track - well before MY time, I've never seen one.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Could I just say a leap in thought from a 15 year old van to a new one, I know at the shows all the new ones look marvellous, they can have as many issues as older ones, if you haven't already committed to buying a new one , I would keep my options open, a 3 or 4 year old van with low mileage and maybe a CD , you would have a bigger range of motorhomes to choose from.

Upvote 0

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Thanks for your replies. I did think that would be the case with seatbelts. Either we don't take passengers or look for a 3/4 berth.
For info, you don't have to have a 3/4 berth to get 4 seat belted seats, many 2 berth vans have 4 seat belted seats -they are usually the ones with dinettes. Hope this is helpful.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
For info, you don't have to have a 3/4 berth to get 4 seat belted seats, many 2 berth vans have 4 seat belted seats -they are usually the ones with dinettes. Hope this is helpful.[/QUOTE

:pink:
And also some 4 berths still only have 2 seat belts.... My advice is to keep asking away on here and you will get good solid advice as to your mh, why don't you hire one for a week and see what suits you... There's lots of different vans and layouts to chose from and they will have them all on here so keep asking and keep googling different motor homes and believe me you will change your mind several times.. Good luck and happy hunting..(y)

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I dont want to pour cold water on your dreams, but would suggest you have a very good look at the construction methods of whatever Motorhome you choose.

I personally would buy a secondhand Hymer etc, over a british motorhome every single time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I'm with @Carol an older more quality van is a better option than a new eldis imo ..

And I sing the praises of brit vans ..

In relation to choice go for more berths than you need will give you more space too and a chance to show off to friends about where they sleep.

Good luck with your choice and welcome

Upvote 0

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Just one little tip ( other than buy s/h for your first van ) - before signing on dotted line, make sure of three things :

1. you can fit into the bed / beds, without bits of yourself hanging off ends, sides, corners etc

2. when on loo you can shut the toilet door (on one van we couldn't )

3. you can actually get to sit on the loo (on same van we couldn't )

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Just one little tip ( other than buy s/h for your first van ) - before signing on dotted line, make sure of three things :

1. you can fit into the bed / beds, without bits of yourself hanging off ends, sides, corners etc

2. when on loo you can shut the toilet door (on one van we couldn't )

3. you can actually get to sit on the loo (on same van we couldn't )

Ha ha had some friends in similar position after spending 90k on a burster. .feet couldn't touch the floor when she sat on lloo

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thanks for your replies. I did think that would be the case with seatbelts. Either we don't take passengers or look for a 3/4 berth. The CD player doesn't bother me as I tend to use my phone through bluetooth in the car, but my husband is a bit of a dinosaur (hope he doesn't see this!) and will not embrace new technology. He hates computers, mobile phones etc. I tried explaining that it's just the same as when they stopped putting cassette players in and replaced them with cd players. Saying that, he used to have an 8-track - well before MY time, I've never seen one.

I hear record decks and vinyl are the new "in" system now, better quality than cd's I'm told. You could sit in the back and deejay whils he's driving.(y)

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL @haganap - we know those folk too - and it was a surprise. A costly mistake too, so DO take your time.

People go on and on about British vans being rubbish - well some unlucky people get rogue products wherever they are made or whoever sells them, because nobody is perfect unless they actually are God. We were always happy with our van - it was only because I found the ladder up/down to the overcab bed in the Bessacar we had rather difficult/tedious to negotiate multiple times nightly that we even thought of changing it when we did.

We'd always been convinced that a fixed bed was a waste of space and here we are with a fixed bed, but they are a waste of space unless you can go for a longer van than us, because you lose length of 'sofas' in the lounge/dining area.

And Pete has just reminded me we were parked in Portugal for about a month the other year on a C&CC winter rally to a lovely couple from Geordie-land with a Burstner a similar age to our Pilote, less than a year. By that time - they had had to have the roof replaced no less than three times - since it leaked.

And we'd had to have the Dometic engineer out and the fridge flue 'swept' and a new bit (in the ignition ) as after about 5 months it stopped working on gas. Could have been caused by 'dirty' gas - but doesn't matter really, these things happen in vans and caravans and cause the van owner annoyance - it doesn't mean that either Burstners, Pilotes or Dometic fridges are rubbish !

Upvote 0

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
We all kind of know, that the majority of MoHomer's, , when they purchase their first van, get the layout wrong - l know l did, with my first ....... and then my second !

We also all know, that these are expensive mistakes, but that they are also mistakes which are difficult to avoid, simply because you do not have the experience bank to rely upon as to what layout suits your individual requirements. Therefore, if you buy s/h first time round, you are at least going some way towards minimising the almost inevitable loss.

Going back to my loo post above, l once stopped a somewhat larger than average lady from signing on the dotted line, by suggesting she did the loo test - salesman scowls at me as the lady waddled off to check out said loo - two minutes later she's back " l can't fit " - salesman's scowl turns to glower, as said lady walks away.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Go to another show and start afresh look at lots of makes and if you do decide to go new make it clear you are serious and want a deal. We are really happy with our chausson and the new models look good but each to their own with drop down beds don't need a huge motorhome to have a big lounge.

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:):hiya2: & welcome:)

Feel free to ask all the questions you need to.......you will get lots of answers.....only some of which will be serious:LOL:

All I would say is look at as many mh's as you can....when we eventually bought it was so completely different to what we thought we wanted layout wise:).....and take your time, it's easy to get carried away with all the showroom shine:D

Might be an idea to visit a few of the warners shows through the year if you can......lots of members rally at them so you can have a nose & see first hand how things work out in reality .......and you'd get to meet some very nice folk.(y)

(Have a look in the scheduled rally section).......there will be quite a few of us at the Chester Food Fair over Easter weekend.

Deb

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As you can see in our avatar we have a compass avantgard which is made by eldiss and have not had any problems at all, would recomend one to anyone, BUT as others have said if you havnt had a motorhome before it would be a bit rash to splash out on a brand new one, if you are not planing on getting it till next year, get out and find a cheap second hand one and try it out this summer , see what you actually need, if you get it at right money it will still be worth the same when you come to sell it(y):)

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We all kind of know, that the majority of MoHomer's, , when they purchase their first van, get the layout wrong - l know l did, with my first ....... and then my second !

We dont all get it wrong first time, but, these vans, if they are what suits you can be a good bargain. We looked at vans for 5 years before we bought our first together.
Get yourself a priority list.
Seatbelts
Payload
Driving position
berths and bed sizes
overall weight of vehicle
Don't accept dealers weights, or those in any manufacturers literature, insist on the vehicle being taken over a weighbridge before purchase.
remember extras like bike racks, second leisure battery, awnings eat into that payload.

Best tip however is make sure van has a cutlery drawer it has taken us almost a year to find a solution we can both live with.
enjoy your search, would second the advice to hire, can save a very costly mistake. then, when you get it, use it, they are an expensive ornament..
OOps most important.

:welcomesign:

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
LOL @haganap - we know those folk too - and it was a surprise. A costly mistake too, so DO take your time.

People go on and on about British vans being rubbish - well some unlucky people get rogue products wherever they are made or whoever sells them, because nobody is perfect unless they actually are God. We were always happy with our van - it was only because I found the ladder up/down to the overcab bed in the Bessacar we had rather difficult/tedious to negotiate multiple times nightly that we even thought of changing it when we did.

We'd always been convinced that a fixed bed was a waste of space and here we are with a fixed bed, but they are a waste of space unless you can go for a longer van than us, because you lose length of 'sofas' in the lounge/dining area.

And Pete has just reminded me we were parked in Portugal for about a month the other year on a C&CC winter rally to a lovely couple from Geordie-land with a Burstner a similar age to our Pilote, less than a year. By that time - they had had to have the roof replaced no less than three times - since it leaked.

And we'd had to have the Dometic engineer out and the fridge flue 'swept' and a new bit (in the ignition ) as after about 5 months it stopped working on gas. Could have been caused by 'dirty' gas - but doesn't matter really, these things happen in vans and caravans and cause the van owner annoyance - it doesn't mean that either Burstners, Pilotes or Dometic fridges are rubbish !

How is it possible to replace the roof on a Burstner? They are surely a composite item like other Hymer group products.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have no idea - could tell you were it metal, seen it done on cars enough times (though rather it was when you had to take a side off to effects repairs, but you get to see where the joins are and how much or little work is involved getting to em) and presumably vans are similar.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have no idea - could tell you were it metal, seen it done on cars enough times (though rather it was when you had to take a side off to effects repairs, but you get to see where the joins are and how much or little work is involved getting to em) and presumably vans are similar.

Sorry to disagree, but I just dont think it is possible.

Assuming the body is made the same way that other Hymer group bodies are made - they are basically a composite sandwich pressed together to form a rigid box - I would think it would be incredibly difficult if not impossible to replace a roof.

It is much more likely that a 'rooflight' would be troublesome and be replaced or resealed.

In my unqualified opinion that is.

Jon

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have not been motorhoming long only 2 years last November, my first new purchase was an Elddis Autoquest 155 (40k) Nov 2013, my experience with Elddis has not been a good one so after coming back from our first trip to spain over xmas we new it was going. 2nd purchase was another british make Autotrail Delaware Nov 2014 (68k). Once again our experience has not been good and this is purely down to quality of build on both occaisions. I am sure there are many people who dont have issues but for me i would now never buy another british make.

Take your time, buy 2nd hand for the first one as you will be swapping it as i can gurantee you it wont fit all your needs and this will save you a lot of money over a new purchase. These are the sort of things that only come with experience but you may be lucky and get it right first time :) here's hoping/good luck and welcome to the forum.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry to disagree, but I just dont think it is possible.

Assuming the body is made the same way that other Hymer group bodies are made - they are basically a composite sandwich pressed together to form a rigid box - I would think it would be incredibly difficult if not impossible to replace a roof.
Interestingly, if you Broken Link Removed, and scroll down to the photos of the production line you can see that the roof is one of the last things that is put on to a Hymer. I think it could be taken off, but it would not be cheap to do, and you would need to know what you are doing.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Interestingly, if you Broken Link Removed, and scroll down to the photos of the production line you can see that the roof is one of the last things that is put on to a Hymer. I think it could be taken off, but it would not be cheap to do, and you would need to know what you are doing.

Well - it did have to go back to Burstner in the finish!

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
brand new vans are really for people with enough income to be changing vans every 2/3 years or for experienced motor homers who know what they need and intend keeping the van as long as possible for a first time buy with no experience theres a good chance you will want to change it sooner rather than later depreciation on new goods means you will have lost probably 10/15% the minute you take possesion

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back