Dog Passport (1 Viewer)

?

Deleted User
Anyone got good links to how to go about getting one and how long would it take. Not going away till September.

Cheers

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You just make appointment at vets but make sure you say it's for issue of passport as not all vets can sign them.
Dog/ cat is then chipped if not already done, rabies jab, passport is issued. No need for blood test now unless you especially want it done. You can go abroad as soon as you like but animal cannot enter UK until 21 days after initial rabies jab.
Check the dates--- I had a couple of mistakes made in dates over the years. Make sure vet always signs and stamps at each point.
Ask for a 2 or 3 year rabies jab as this not only saves you money but saves the animal too many injections.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Cheers guys. I have everything but the rabies jab. So how long will the passport last and on the gov site, this page

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport

It says "marking or identification of animal" I take it that is its chip.

One last thing. I have a Rottie, As she is a large dog do i need a Muzzle for any parts or the EU as Germany has some funny laws about owning large dogs.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I think Spain considers Rotties as a dangerous breed and have imposed certain rules.

the dog be muzzled and be held on a chain or lead no longer than two meters in public places
If your a resident of Spain you must also get a specific licence.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Thanks Steve but not going that far south. Got to laugh at the dangerous dogs tags. I have a cat that is more vicious than my stupid mutt. Charlie (the cat) so far has sent three people to get a tetanus jab due to being a grump. Yet to get a growl out the dog. Funny thing though, Charlie will never attack a kid. Saying that neither does the dog.

Dog submitting

5wmFT9WOHOOWUu9RabKQtmNKbv2TcvJNhVeyXBZO3rlp2QWB_2DYQwsS0ZECOvJzrYTAodCGTVbTeVljR17E1o_PNNRKImeTMGweq9We5-sJvBhi7N6g1GSl7FryID3_Ze_jMFsXQCyL4uQrfY8GXzAPl8L8II_qnFhrEYr86DulMJ8yBlqT0DGxrI-9a257A0YSN_GE42i9yzIzGgmCLijs-CVbqSB4LjHVv3eYzpBc7ek1F30jMIUw9rHZtjDcP6plASdbAf5Lx1fB_eAWDI-oN4GeZ-crEi24CRxtQorcPfW1w6mhdIvYOvsuEXGGDE-JwSIrHIfaLs6g88sCSdvW0auszMRJadkV3qkTiBZumqUv2mDXHpueT7hf4M49at46AXBiTsxbPogtVLPvipevvIw5obDIsmDeYQS_66vSzwWchPlhauunAgE1le2nLGqeBMTameYI1_h9_GEKUYEKclv9EvfAkE-fvP9omwxe5tNbQO-fF82CJmHQJmETcb0iAOfhbODZILHMqcENAKgty5p9N3D0oSveSxdmAWaDo5HTA7FRNPM9f8ELbdluH3NX=w807-h605-no

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Classed as a dangerous dog breed in France and has to be muzzled and on lead and has to be in the charge of a person over 18. Not too sure about visitors but has to be registered with Mairie for residents. Try googling "dangerous dog breeds in France"

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Just use common sense, on the muzzle .if somebody makes a fuss slip one on, if not show em dogs the life and sole of your family

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
When you get the passport make sure it's the new style with the main page laminated,some vets try to usd up the old stock! well ours did!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
It's 3 weeks for the passport from the rabies Jab day..
Passport lasts 3 years.

3 is the magic number. .

Only know because off to pick mine up later fir our new pup

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cheers guys. I have everything but the rabies jab. So how long will the passport last and on the gov site, this page

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport

It says "marking or identification of animal" I take it that is its chip.

There is no expiry date for the passport. It's the rabies vac that will have a date, usually 3 years as has been said. When you get a booster that is noted in the passport.

Yes, the "marking or identification" is the chip.

One last thing: Be careful of what vac the vet uses and what he charges.

There is no need for a first and second injection or booster after a year. If he tries that ask for a different vac. It should be just one injection that covers the dog for three years. The blood test is only needed if you plan on travelling outside the EU.

I've heard some mad prices paid for this. My vet charged me £46 for each dog for the rabies vac and providing the passport.

Reactions: DBK

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
No need for blood test now unless you especially want it done. You can go abroad as soon as you like but animal cannot enter UK until 21 days after initial rabies jab.
For anyone taking their dog out of the EU, e.g To Morooco then you do need to have the blood test done, otherwise you could have trouble when you return to an EU country. If you don't intend to travel outside of Europe then HollyBerry is spot on with this advise.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
What about coming home. Do you guys bother about the dog getting treated for tapeworm? I know a lot of people dont bother but do they check? I will be using P&O Hull to Zeebrugge crossing. I have asked my friend in Holland to ask his vet what they charge as i understand it can be done up to 5 days before returning.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I reckon the owner needs muzzling ;)

Reactions: DBK

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
What about coming home. Do you guys bother about the dog getting treated for tapeworm? I know a lot of people dont bother but do they check? I will be using P&O Hull to Zeebrugge crossing. I have asked my friend in Holland to ask his vet what they charge as i understand it can be done up to 5 days before returning.

Don't see how you'll get back into uk without this.
At exit port in France / Holland clerk will print out a sheet and tick off the necessary things --- that passport chip number matches chip in dog, that rabies jab is in date and that worm tablet has been given by a vet who's signed and stamped passport. I never had the "fit to travel" page checked except when mine were flown from Cyprus when they needed a seaparate form form vet.
If you omit the worming tablet you stand to be refused entry onto train or ferry and have to cough up for another crossing. Wormer must be 24-120 hours before checking so always check vet puts correct time.

Passport is valid until it's full.
In France you'll find your dog has to be muzzled in a public place and also has to be restrained or contained in a moving vehicle. I've seen the police municipale stop people with unmuzzled dogs that are on the dangerous dogs list ( though that individual dog might not be dangerous)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yes to both questions, always get the tape worm tab as the vet has to sign to say they have done it and they do check at the ports. Prices vary, usually cheaper the further away from the port you are. You are right about the 5 days - tablet must be given no later than 24 hrs before travel and no sooner that 5 days.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Also dog passports are expensive things when you add up how much it costs to keep them upto date. Why risk invalidating them and maybe having to start again, not worth the risk even if you did managed to get back into the UK without the omission being noticed.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
You may find this useful.
Dodgy Link Removed

You can take a Rottie but you need to keep on a lead and muzzled. My Staffie is mistaken for a Pit bull as they see few Staffies. Luckily they are specifically mentioned as not being dangerous. I keep a copy for the occasional tug by a Gerndarme.
For return to UK you visit a Vet and get the dog checked, wormed and Passport stamped.
You must travel not before 24hrs but not more than 120 hrs
Here is mine ripping a small French child to pieces
P1050214.JPG

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
When you get the passport make sure it's the new style with the main page laminated,some vets try to usd up the old stock! well ours did!

Funny you should say that, I'm having on-going problems with a vet in Shropshire concerning this very issue. They've now issued me with a new passport to replace the old one, which DEFRA informed me to be invalid. Just checking the new passport against DEFRA instructions for vets and find that she hasn't entered the full details of her name and address and SP number, beside the rabies vaccination record. Off back to the vet's first thing tomorrow. We're on the ferry on Friday!
Very stressful. We've used the same veterinary practice for 35 years, and they're great vets - but when it comes to passports :eek::eek::eek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The tape worm treatment isn't a "nice to have" apart from being obligatory they have a nasty variety of tapeworm in Europe which we don't have on our hallowed shores. It can and does infect humans, forming cysts in vital organs.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
We've got our Charlie booked in this Wednesday thankfully it seems to be easier
than we thought (after reading above posts)

Thanks for all the above posts (y)(y)

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
We've got our Charlie booked in this Wednesday thankfully it seems to be easier
than we thought (after reading above posts)

Thanks for all the above posts (y)(y)

I know what you mean as i was thinking you have to send documents away like getting a human one. Going to visit the vet in the next month or two and get it all in order. Feeling better about it all myself.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
The 'marking or identification' is as it says any markings on the dog, like a white ear/different colour paws/scars. Ours is white bodied but has two brown spots on her neck.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had an old passport issued as the laminator at the gov suppliers was broken.
My understanding is, it is valud5as long as the information is correct.
The .gov link is very clear.
There is somewhere a link showing various vets abroad, their coordinates and what they charge.
It seems that nearer the port, the more expensive!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back