Update TomTom maps or buy new satnav? (1 Viewer)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
It's about time I updated the maps on my TomTom XXL which I haven't done for several years.
Problem is, do I pay £45+ for an update or should I buy a new "other make" satnav for £34?

I had been tempted to buy a new TomTom with lifetime updates but my XXL is perfectly good and they are pricey.
I've looked at this one on Amazon:
Broken Link Removed
It looks OK to me.
Have any of you funsters had this dilemma and what have you done??
Mike:unsure::unsure:

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
I think it depends on the memory in what you have. The maps seem to be getting bigger.
I've just replaced my one xl as it can't expand the memory, no sd card. Bought a new TomTom Start & by comparison it's rubbish.
If you have a tablet have a look at CoPilot app, much better & cheaper.
Barrie

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Given the recent discoveries regarding Nozatec and similar offerings (see Broken Link Removed) it appears that all the cheap stuff probably uses pirate software and can not, therefore, be recommended any longer.

I will stick with the Garmin Camper 760 we got in Aldi last year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Google gpsunderground or gpspower and within 1 hour you will have downloaded and installed latest maps free of charge ( good tutorials on both sites).

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
I had been tempted to buy a new TomTom with lifetime updates

Tomtom will only support the 'lifetime updates' for as long as THEY deem the unit as being CURRENT. Check the small print. It is similar to Microsoft and their operating systems ie you can still use Vista/Millenium/XP but no longer supported hence no free updates

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
I use Navmii on my andriod phone. It's a free add with free map downloads. There are in-app purchases to improve the voice guidance and remove the ads if you like the app. Included is also traffic information when you have a data connection.(y)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I think it depends on the memory in what you have. The maps seem to be getting bigger.
I've just replaced my one xl as it can't expand the memory, no sd card. Bought a new TomTom Start & by comparison it's rubbish.
If you have a tablet have a look at CoPilot app, much better & cheaper.
Barrie
I'm interested to know why you feel your TomTom Start is rubbish. Which model did you buy?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I was in the same position.. my ageing TT One XL was needing new maps.. so thought I'd save some cash and buy a Cheapo Chinese jobbie.. it was rubbish... dull screen, poor touch sensitivity... so sent it back and got a full refund..

Also tried several phone and tablet systems, Co-Pilot etc.. they work ok and are good as a back-up.. but I much prefer a dedicated unit..

I looked at both TT and Garmin.. but at that time, TT did NOT permit adding third party POIs.. that was a deal breaker..

Bite the bullet , buy a new Garmin.. there is much more to a sat nav than price..
is the screen bright and responsive.. how easy is it to load third party POIs, is there a route planner .. like Garmin's Base Camp.. map updates for life , and so much more..

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

buy cheap.. you get cheap

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Still using my Tom Tom Live 825, it's never let me down. (y)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Best thing I ever did was buy a Garmin and follow @scotjimland advice on using Basecamp to plan my routes myself for the satnav to follow. You don't need an expensive Garmin, just one that has the 'app' addition.

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Google gpsunderground or gpspower and within 1 hour you will have downloaded and installed latest maps free of charge ( good tutorials on both sites).
Thanks everyone for the good responses.

I will have a look at the gpsunderground as suggested by Nigel&Debbie and at the Garmin too.

I'm not too reliant on satnavs so don't usually worry if they are a bit out-of-date but I do like 'gadgets':whistle: and love having all the aires on the satnav.

Last November the TomTom led us down a cul-de-sac in Brugges when heading for the aire. Had to use logic to find my way!:cool:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Did anybody listen to "Pirate Radio ?". I will stick by my Nozi-whatsit,until the screen goes blank,does all i need it to,that is,get me from A-B. I won't tell you about the time in Coimbra,when it wanted to take me up a near impossible back alley,third time it brought me back to it,thought here goes and up i went..... Came out by the side of the Chinese restaurant we were all meeting at.
Tea Bag.
PS. For a laugh. "I the humble Mr Bellows,have lived like a Pirate and will die like a Pirate..Go on Captain,do 'em the dirty."
From the fim. The Crimson Pirate.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Using the Garmin Basecamp, your able to plan a route to or via an aire and even view the aire or route to it by switching to Google Earth view or even Streetview to take a look. I have often found that the grid ref for an aire is not quite right, using Basecamp allows you to view and correct it.
If you like gadgets you will love it!

Reactions: GJH
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Ojibway. If you have an I-Pad you can get the Apple App for TomTom as Jezport said and it will then stand very nicely on top of the dash in its case, making it very easy to see.
We are very happy with ours..

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
There have been some significant changes on the Tomtom units over the last couple of years such that the latest Go units like our GO5000 bears no resemblance to the old units. Also whilst they still cannot do some things that the old units like calculate a route with a set speed limit for the vehicle they can now do more than the old units could.

The way you operate them is totally different with different icons and interface which takes getting used to and with recent updates you can now do much more on them than you could when they first came out.

We can now use a Tomtom software on a PC, Tablet or Smart phone to calculate a route and when we turn our GO5000 on it loads the route and is ready to go. You can also ask it to calculate some alternative routes for you to consider.

You can now add POI files however at the moment you cannot see them on the unit as you travel. You cannot create a POI category or add a place as a POI to a category on the units. You have to do this on 3rd Party software at the moment and hopefully the facility will be added.

You can create routes on the units or on a PC or Tablet and send them to the unit for use later. You can also create routes and POI files in 3rd party software like "Tyre" or POIedit and send them to the unit. So they have introduced a Basecamp facility. In both instances you can have lots of waypoints on the route and whenever you select a particular route the unit calculates the way to the start from wherever you are.

If you have loaded a route which includes toll roads then toll booth icons appear on the route with the distance to the booth and if you want you can just tap the icon and the unit will recalculate a route avoiding that section of Toll Road.

The unit will advise you of quicker alternatives if there are any traffic problems and all you need to do is decide at the suggested turn off whether to take it or not without touching the unit.

The GO5000/6000 and the latest GO5100/6100 units incorporate a Sim which means that whenever you are travelling throughout Europe the units are constantly checking Traffic and advising you accordingly and there is no charge for the data this is using. We have found Tomtoms traffic to be very good. Also when you have sent POI and Route files to your unit from a PC ot Tablet the transfer takes place when you turn the unit on and it has logged into its account using the inbuilt Sim, again at no cost for the data transfer even when abroad.

In the event you have to do a total reset when a Unit logs itself back into its Tomtom account the POI files and 3rd Party created routes and favourites, called My Places now, are restored to the unit using the inbuilt Sim. They are working on it being able to restore Routes created in their own software.

One thing to be aware of is that on these newer units the size of the Map files has increased tremendously such that Western Europe is about 6.5GB and so if your broadband is not very good it can be a very long time to manage updates. This problem can occur on other makes of GPS units as their files can also be very large. Also the maps are getting bigger so quickly that the units already need an additional memory cards inserted to cope.

The latest units are expensive but you can have World Maps with 4 free updates a year as well as free Speed Cameras and Traffic for the region the unit is bought in. Ie if you buy it in Europe then whilst you can have world maps only Europe is covered for the free speed camera and traffic.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I was in the same position.. my ageing TT One XL was needing new maps.. so thought I'd save some cash and buy a Cheapo Chinese jobbie.. it was rubbish... dull screen, poor touch sensitivity... so sent it back and got a full refund..

Also tried several phone and tablet systems, Co-Pilot etc.. they work ok and are good as a back-up.. but I much prefer a dedicated unit..

I looked at both TT and Garmin.. but at that time, TT did NOT permit adding third party POIs.. that was a deal breaker..

Bite the bullet , buy a new Garmin.. there is much more to a sat nav than price..
is the screen bright and responsive.. how easy is it to load third party POIs, is there a route planner .. like Garmin's Base Camp.. map updates for life , and so much more..

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

buy cheap.. you get cheap

Exactly, have look at the new Garmins that come out at the end of March, they offer eve more I will be goingg for the Garmin Drivesmart 50. Its worth looking at their website and you do get what you pay for.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why bother to update the maps? I had the latest maps on mine but still found new roads in Spain which weren't known about to Messrs Garmin.

Just keep an eye on the road signs, if they've built a new motorway you'll notice it and if not you'll stay on the old road which might be better and more scenic!

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
On the subject of being directed down unsuitable "roads" we avoid any "unnamed road" unless we know the area and generally follow the town signs to aires or campsites.
We had an episode when we were tugging when we followed the satnag and ignored the road signs when getting to a site. Finished up getting jammed between cars in a too narrow road. Fortunately the locals turned out and moved their cars after climbing in through sunroofs.
They actually thought it was hilarious and even gave us a cold beer and freshly made buns. I'll never ignore a direction sign again!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Why bother to update the maps? I had the latest maps on mine but still found new roads in Spain which weren't known about to Messrs Garmin.

Just keep an eye on the road signs, if they've built a new motorway you'll notice it and if not you'll stay on the old road which might be better and more scenic!

I prefer to have an up to date map and set of device software although I expect there will always be roads the sat nav mapping companies who provide the maps to the likes of Tom-tom and Garmin don't know about, but surely there will be fewer on your satnav as the maps are updated which is why you are better off keeping the device updated . it must follow that as new roads are added which were not previously on the map and newly built roads are added your chance of finding an unknown road is less and it probably also follows that if you never update your satnav you won't know about road speed changes, new traffic cameras or danger zones as well as other warnings because your device and its software including the map is out of date.

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
really should update my tt 901 but all the time it works i hate spending money and it has north america too.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi

Aldi On Thursday had Garmin Camper 760 on offer at 129.99?

Are they any good?

Pete
Hell of a good price. Presumably they are remaining stock from when they were on special when we bought one last year. We're pleased with ours, especially in light of the recent developments with NozaTec.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hell of a good price. Presumably they are remaining stock from when they were on special when we bought one last year. We're pleased with ours, especially in light of the recent developments with NozaTec.

Worth a Punt then? The actual Model was RV 760LMT

Pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you have an android or apple device you can get the tomtom app. It's very good.
I downloaded the tomtom app to my android phone a week or so ago.
It appeaered to work fine.....then I found you only get 50 miles free then have to 'in app purchase' more miles.

Uninstalled and use my GO500 or Google maps on my phone.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I still find my nozatec to give the best routes, set to easy routing option. I now realise I cant update the maps so eventually will have to find something else.
I still use the Tomtom and snooper together with the nozatec in the mh as I like asecond and third opinion.

Deleted User
Hi

Aldi On Thursday had Garmin Camper 760 on offer at 129.99?

Are they any good?

Pete
I think these must be new 'old stock' that was sold as a special a while back. Wish I could find one local as they seem to be a bargain buy.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If you get stuck updating I can offer my services to do it for free (less postage of course), they are quite simple to do and as posted by someone else all the information is available to get the latest maps on it. I've had a few of these in the past (given to family members now) but i do get them back to update the maps every now and then. if you have an iphone or a recent android phone then the tomtom on these is just as good and they come with lifetime maps (dont get the new version though that has a subscription option where you pay per year for the maps of all regions, this is something tomtom has just introduced).

Either way I am sure with all the information and assistance from peeps on here you will be able get the new maps on with little effort. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back