Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
God knows,I left him to it.Think he was counting the cash in his wallet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
It costs more than that for a boat MOT and that takes about 30 mins
Thank god that's one problem I will never have.A goat maybe,a boat never

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
£25 of it is VAT I would presume, straight to the government

then I guess there will be training courses to go on where you earn nothing and have to pay to be there

then if you employ staff it just gets even worse, paid holiday, paid sick days, paying them for courses etc

insurance, we pay £7500 / year for an all risk policy, that's £140 a week before we even pay wages, buy vehicles, put fuel in vehicles, put up with 90+ day payments from customers

its not good from the other side of the fence either

BTW we do not do anything to do with motorhome servicing, but companies cost a fortune to keep afloat let alone make a profit whatever field they are in (y)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
£25 of it is VAT I would presume, straight to the government

then I guess there will be training courses to go on where you earn nothing and have to pay to be there

then if you employ staff it just gets even worse, paid holiday, paid sick days, paying them for courses etc

insurance, we pay £7500 / year for an all risk policy, that's £140 a week before we even pay wages, buy vehicles, put fuel in vehicles, put up with 90+ day payments from customers

its not good from the other side of the fence either

BTW we do not do anything to do with motorhome servicing, but companies cost a fortune to keep afloat let alone make a profit whatever field they are in (y)
The guys that do boat MOT's have no overheads apart from a bit of fuel

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
what really matters is getting correct servicing, I see a lot of tales on here of hab services that do not include the fridge, possibly the source of most problems and CO risks

nobody wants to over pay though I do see that, but it is all relative (y) (to what though I am not always sure :))

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
The guys that do boat MOT's have no overheads apart from a bit of fuel

They have to have insurance - and the training before they earn a penny runs into thousands. One chap I know gave up after too many people booked him the buzzered off and the boat was nowhere to be found when arrangements had been made to meet at a certain place.

Then there is the cost of certificates (now electronic I know) and revisiting for a retest (generally no charge).

Doing boat safety certificates is definitely not easy money, I did look into it a few years ago.

Dave (a former boater)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Stop digging Dawn:D they will have had to go on a training course,prob have to update every 3/5 yrs pay public liability etc -have a vehicle put fuel in and insure it etc etc;)
terry

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Stop digging Dawn:D they will have had to go on a training course,prob have to update every 3/5 yrs pay public liability etc -have a vehicle put fuel in and insure it etc etc;)
terry
I do know a couple of them

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Come the day I win the lottery my new van will never see a dealers door again once departed

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
In the nearly 4 years I've had my van I've not yet had a hab service ,it was well out of warranty when I bought it and I wonder why I should need one ?
I have a damp meter and a co2 detector ,if it's dry and not putting out any toxins ,what do the service men do that my van hasn't missed ?

Vlad

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So Dawn I CAN SIMPLY say I am a boat (mot=)man and write a note on a scrap of paper then get paid "a lot more than £100"for this service ?Even the pen and paper cost money ;) that is assuming I can walk to the boat and don't have to drive :D:D:D
terry

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our van gets lovingly serviced every time it needs anything, and sometimes when it doesn't, for this service I don't charge myself anything but I do enjoy tinkering, (no I'm not a tinker).

There are advantages in buying a van that is out of warranty.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I know plenty of people who are required to have various insurances .................................. but don't have any :eek:because the cost is so prohibitive.:cry: Or they are just too tight.:mad: A bit like all the people who should have waste haulage licences but don't.
You'd be surprised how many very rarely get asked whether they have insurance, it is just assumed that they have it. Until something goes wrong.:oops:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Our van gets lovingly serviced every time it needs anything, and sometimes when it doesn't, for this service I don't charge myself anything but I do enjoy tinkering, (no I'm not a tinker).

There are advantages in buying a van that is out of warranty.

Martin
Nothing wrong there Martin -the habitation check mainly covers everything you use on/in the van daily so if you know it's broken fix it (y);)HC= a checklist to check what is working (or not):D Sure a HC may pick up on things you have not noticed but if you keep a good check on your van it should not pick up on anything :)
terry
terry

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
insurance, we pay £7500 / year for an all risk policy, that's £140 a week

I was quoted £6000 for my last Professional Indemnity Insurance. That was several years ago and I had never (nor have since) had a claim. As PII is a requirement of having the authority to have a public practice and only a couple of insurance companies will do the correct cover it's a bit of a fixed market. There was no way I could cover the PII premium, other overheads and make any money.

A profession where people say there are no overheads except for pen and paper!

I've had a few "discussions" with people from Job Centre+ when they suggested self-employment to my students. My first question is always where the up front PII premium will come from and it will be far more than I used to pay as the students have no clean record.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
13months left on Peugeot warranty, after this I will service the van myself.
Just 5 weeks left with Auto Sleeper warranty, I too have damp meter, Manometer, so will just check habitation myself and also like tinkering.

John.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In the nearly 4 years I've had my van I've not yet had a hab service ,it was well out of warranty when I bought it and I wonder why I should need one ?
I have a damp meter and a co2 detector ,if it's dry and not putting out any toxins ,what do the service men do that my van hasn't missed ?

Vlad

For one they hopefully use the correct tools :)

You need a CO Carbon Monoxide detector, not CO2 Carbon Dioxide, although technically too much CO2 wouldn't do you any favours (y)

You probably do have a CO monitor

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You'd be surprised how many very rarely get asked whether they have insurance, it is just assumed that they have it. Until something goes wrong.:oops:

As has happened with my friend and her accountant. He has had the books since last June and has not even started them. As a result she will not have her accounts filed in time and will have a nasty fine. She wanted to claim on his PII only to find he doesn't have any - she is going to the ICA for help as he says he is a member and they insist on PII for SER members.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back