I need a weighbridge (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Can someone can help me out, looking for a weighbridge (never used one before) drawn a blank so far in Glasgow, with dead internet links and its not clear whats open on the council list in Glasgow, some phone numbers are dead and some never answered. The only ones I can find that might be open are waste management weighbridges in any case, will they be able to do individual axle weights??
I am Driving down to Birmingham via the A74/ M6 route can anyone suggest any weighbridges along that route ??? Hopefully before any VOSA ones!!
thanks (y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Although I can't specifically help, look for scrap metal merchants in your area, they nearly always have a weigh bridge. Phone them and ask if you can use it.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Try grain silos where they store bulk grain the usually have one our local one charges £7 and you can weigh whole van and then back axle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
As long as the weighbridge is not raised ie up a ramp then it is possible to weigh individual axles.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I have u
Can someone can help me out, looking for a weighbridge (never used one before) drawn a blank so far in Glasgow, with dead internet links and its not clear whats open on the council list in Glasgow, some phone numbers are dead and some never answered. The only ones I can find that might be open are waste management weighbridges in any case, will they be able to do individual axle weights??
I am Driving down to Birmingham via the A74/ M6 route can anyone suggest any weighbridges along that route ??? Hopefully before any VOSA ones!!
thanks (y)

I have used the local builders supplies they have weigh bridges. Pete

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When I was on tippers our waste management sites had an in and out bridge so you could weigh full in, empty out. What I did was weigh in, front axle, run across the bridge and weigh rear axle. Turned round in the yard and weigh whole vehicle on out bridge. Do this because you may be under gross vehicle weight but one of your axles could be well over weight, usually the rear axle.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I used a scrap metal merchants weighbridge today, in Rosyth, Fife. It was up a ramp so individual axle weights could not be taken.
I am now going to find another one, there are a few in Fife, partly to get axle weights and partly to double check the weight I got today. Weighbridges can, it seems, be a bit variable.
Going by the A74, I reckon you will find a few en route. Good luck.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I can recommend these guys, they are 6 miles from Jtn 16 on the M6, just off the A500 so dual carrigeway all the way.

You can also get some Staffordshire Oatcakes while your in the area !

F Mcguinness & Sons Ltd
Dodgy Link Removedlers
Porthill Road
Fowlea Brook
Stoke-On-Trent
Staffordshire
Dodgy Link Removed Dodgy Link Removed
  • T: 01782 817 424

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Mind out for sharp bit of metal or swarf in scrappies yards. Truck tyres are much more forgiving that ours.(y)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We drive along the A27 and near Shoreham airport there looks as though there's a weigh bridge. It looks closed. Does anyone know anything about it? Never used one before how to you go about weighing the MH - any advice?

Deleted User
We drive along the A27 and near Shoreham airport there looks as though there's a weigh bridge. It looks closed. Does anyone know anything about it? Never used one before how to you go about weighing the MH - any advice?

Looks like a DVSA(VOSA) dynamic axle weighbridge which will only be used when they are doing checks.

Just googled and yes it is.

A list of all DVSA weighbridges, which are not open to the public, in this link

The only dynamic axle weighbridge open to the public that I know of is operated by Leeds Trading standards at Wakefield road Morley. There may well be others and the last time that I used this one was around 15 years ago.

To weigh axles on a normal plate weighbridge it must be level with the ground(not up a ramp) weigh the whole vehicle then one axle, subtract this from the total and this gives the weight of the other axle.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Well thanks for the advice guys I managed to find the direct number for the council waste place and they said they can do the vehicle. I have got a scrappy in reserve in case of any issues, will take the tyre advice tho
(y)

(y)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Well thanks for the advice guys I managed to find the direct number for the council waste place and they said they can do the vehicle. I have got a scrappy in reserve in case of any issues, will take the tyre advice tho
(y)

(y)

What one is it,I looked at Dawsholm but it has a very steep ramp and the guy said he could only do the whole vehicle.The scrappy is possibly a one way system taking you through a very rough dirty yard,it would be possible to reverse back out as long as another vehicle doesn't come in behind you.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
What one is it,I looked at Dawsholm but it has a very steep ramp and the guy said he could only do the whole vehicle.The scrappy is possibly a one way system taking you through a very rough dirty yard,it would be possible to reverse back out as long as another vehicle doesn't come in behind you.
I phoned the guy at shieldhall recycling depot, Which is now open, but they can only do the whole vehicle, which is OK as I can't find a scrappie who can do the axles either :(

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Make sure you get individual axle weights, I didn't first time, we were under weight. But later I found the rear was over the limit.
its really difficult to find one who can do that! Might try in Birmingham. My dealer told me I can put 200KG's in the garage, although I read somewhere (which I can't find) with the re-enforced floor garage (which I have) it was 250 KG. So I know the weights roughly and overestimated slightly of what I am putting in the garage so hopefully will be OK!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A bit far south for Campa Cola .:)

We only live a couple of miles from the A27 one (it is in Lancing - just) it is open 24/7, you drive up press the button when the light goes red when it goes green you drive over slowly, it will display front axle, rear axle & gross weights. Results do vary a bit depending on speed you drive over and how central you are. I always reverse back after pressing the button so I can get lined up, I also go over 3-4 times as it can vary a bit.
You probably think it is closed as nothing lights up until you press the button.

Also bear in mind weigh bridges are designed to weigh 40 tonner's and are calibrated at 17-18 tonnes, the tolerance is -50, +50 kg, so if you weigh on one that is on the bottom tolerance and get stopped and their one is on top tolerance, you could be shown to be 100kg more than you thought.

Now with that bit of info guys, make sure you are at least a 100 kg under.:eek::eek::eek: - On BOTH axles.o_Oo_Oo_O

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
A bit far south for Campa Cola .:)

We only live a couple of miles from the A27 one (it is in Lancing - just) it is open 24/7, you drive up press the button when the light goes red when it goes green you drive over slowly, it will display front axle, rear axle & gross weights. Results do vary a bit depending on speed you drive over and how central you are. I always reverse back after pressing the button so I can get lined up, I also go over 3-4 times as it can vary a bit.
You probably think it is closed as nothing lights up until you press the button.

Also bear in mind weigh bridges are designed to weigh 40 tonner's and are calibrated at 17-18 tonnes, the tolerance is -50, +50 kg, so if you weigh on one that is on the bottom tolerance and get stopped and their one is on top tolerance, you could be shown to be 100kg more than you thought.

Now with that bit of info guys, make sure you are at least a 100 kg under.:eek::eek::eek:
Now, not sure on this, but I was told that the readings from these 'Pay and Weigh' machines are not accurate, and are not accepted by the police??????

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The A27 one is a VOSA one but you don't get a ticket, just comes up on a display, it is the one they use for road side checks.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Now, not sure on this, but I was told that the readings from these 'Pay and Weigh' machines are not accurate, and are not accepted by the police??????

Can't see that as they would have to be checked/tested same as anything else by the weights & measures.
Anyway if they won't accept it weigh it then . That's all I'd say.
Apart from when it comes up the same you'll have no trouble with me sending in the invoice for the time I've wasted on the side of the road with you :LOL:

All the ones here on the roadsides are pay & weigh & issue tickets that are totally legal & state time ,date, weight, certification number, date of last test, CIF number ( business tax number ) Some you are able to put in the registration number . Most here weigh up to 70 tonnes & have to be accurate as they are constantly used by refrigerated trucks that come straight from having 26 pallets loaded in a field & many then go direct to the customer, often in the UK.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
its really difficult to find one who can do that! Might try in Birmingham. My dealer told me I can put 200KG's in the garage, although I read somewhere (which I can't find) with the re-enforced floor garage (which I have) it was 250 KG. So I know the weights roughly and overestimated slightly of what I am putting in the garage so hopefully will be OK!
As has been said, trading standards will have a local list.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back